Talk

Advanced search

Conceiving

(17 Posts)
Rollypops Thu 09-May-19 23:23:12

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this website and theres probably tons of other queries like this, but I'm just looking for some advice how long long people have tried for a baby before seeking help?

Myself and my partner have been trying for 10 months with no joy. Is there anything to help? I'm currently using an app to track my cycle and ovulation.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

X

Jonesydocandjr Thu 09-May-19 23:42:27

Hi ! Um I'm probably not the best person to give advise but just wanted to say hi. Are you trying ovulation prediction kits ( basically sticks you pee on that tell you your most fertile days) I'm only just finished my first month ttc ( ain't flow came early to spoil all my symptom spotting)

I'm afraid I'm no use but I'm sure it will happen for you!!!

Rollypops Fri 10-May-19 07:55:31

Hi Jonesydocandjr and thanks for replying smile

I have only just bought these ovulation sticks. Some people have been saying about folic acid and other vitamins, which I was wondering if they had been any use to anyone?

X

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Fri 10-May-19 08:12:15

I would definitely use the OPKs as I ovulate anywhere from day 12 to day 17 - also take his n hers pre conception vitamins

If you're over 35 try Proceive Max and additional coq10 200mg a day
Also fertility acupuncture is getting good results x

Wishing56 Fri 10-May-19 08:20:28

Hi

I am on cycle 5 of TTC. I spoke to my GP the other day briefly (as i was there for something else) and they said normally wait a year until going in for tests.
Maybe try OPKs for a few months and then speak to your GP and they can run tests on both of you if you are worried.

I haven't used OPKs yet but have brought them for next cycle as a couple of friends i spoke to said the app dates are not all that accurate. One of my friends actually ovulated 1 week before the app told her she would.

Good luck with everything OP x

VenusStarr Fri 10-May-19 08:36:42

You could try using opks to pin down ovulation. I did find when we started ttc that the apps weren't that great at predicting my ovulation (short cycle and ovulate between cd11-13) but ovia was putting me later (and made me panic about having a short luteal phase!)

Are your cycles regular? I also find tracking cervical mucus is helpful. Egg White consistency is the most fertile.

See your GP after a year if no luck. We finally conceived after 16 cycles but had a mmc, just starting ttc again but also having investigations at the fertility clinic.

Good luck 🤞

Rollypops Fri 10-May-19 08:49:50

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll definately try the ovulation tests too.

I'm 32 in July. My cycles are regular, give or take 1-2 days.

I just find it so difficult when everyone seems to get pregnant quick, got married in June last year and fed up of the "are you not having kids?" comments, they really hurt. Need to stop stressing over it, as I bet stress makes it worse.

Good luck all smile

We will get there

X

MsSquiz Fri 10-May-19 08:58:39

DH and I are both 32 and have just recently conceived after 18 months of trying.

We spent the first 6 months or so just hoping it would happen, then I started taking the conception vitamins (started with pregnacare then changed to Seven Seas)

After a year I started with the OPKs (the clearblue ones with the smiley face) alongside a period tracker app

Then 2 months before conceiving we used the pre seed lubricant.

Oddly enough the month we conceived we only had sex twice around ovulation time due to life getting in the way and being disheartened with AF appearing or getting negative tests.

Chanel05 Fri 10-May-19 09:48:05

I conceived on cycle 8 and I did the following: opks, fertility acupuncture, soy isoflavones (days 2-6), 2000mg per day of evening primrose oil until ovulation, (tmi) dtd from behind and did not go to the toilet until the next morning to keep it all in, ate 5 Brazil nuts each day, dtd the day before ovulation (hadn't actually done that in previous cycles as I was dtd every other day normally which fell on o day), checked cm. I was like a woman possessed! Unfortunately I had a mmc and I'm now replicating these methods this cycle, except for the opks.

crazychemist Fri 10-May-19 15:15:23

Folic acid does not help you conceive. However, it means if you do conceive there is less chance of a neural tube defect in the baby, so everyone is advised to take it just in case.

A GP won’t do much unless it’s been over a year. Suggest you start temperature charting and using OPKs to get to know your cycle. That will give you the best chance of conceiving, and if you still don’t you go to your GP armed with lots of information to avoid them just sending you away to do it at that stage.

Good luck!

Rollypops Sat 08-Jun-19 22:36:04

Hello everyone,
I'm not sure how I start a new thread on here, which is why I have added it to my old one smile
I'm 3 days late on my period, first month of using the ovulation strips. I have light period cramps though and have had them for approximately 3 days, which makes me think it's a delayed period. My cycles are normally bob on, give or take 1-2 days.
I know everyone is different, but has anyone else experienced this? Really new to this so any advice/feedback is much appreciated smile
X

juneybean Sat 08-Jun-19 23:17:26

Could try taking a pregnancy test?

autumneve Sat 08-Jun-19 23:30:05

Yes do pregnancy test. I remember my only early symptoms were tender breasts and I was in such a bad mood the day before I took my test (hormones!!). I know your frustration- we took a year- I know others take longer- and I hated my period with a vengeance every time it turned up. You're eating well? Exercise?

Keep us posted op. Good luck!

Rollypops Sun 09-Jun-19 05:45:12

Hiya,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm on holiday in Cyprus at the mo, so will try and find a pharmacy. Woke up this morning and nothing again. Is it normal to have mild cramps for 3 days on and off and no period?

I'm eating ok yeah and trying to get exercise in, was shattered yesterday, but think that was the heat!

Will keep you posed smile

X

autumneve Mon 17-Jun-19 20:31:46

How are you feeling op?

Rollypops Mon 17-Jun-19 21:03:15

Hi autumneve,

I came on my period in the end :-( I think the delay was because I was on holiday, I read that changes in environment, diet, stress levels can delay.

Our 2nd try this month of using the ovulation test strips.

How are you?

X

autumneve Tue 18-Jun-19 10:24:56

It can be a frustrating road op. Great you've got some test strips now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »