Talk

Advanced search

Laparoscopy/hysteroscopy - anyone had one, what do I expect?

(18 Posts)
Janus Wed 18-Jul-07 11:58:48

Hello there. I have to have a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy for suspected endo in a few weeks. Just wondered if there was anything to expect, ie will I be able to carry on with everything the next day (eg school runs, walking dog, etc). Have heard my shoulders may ache but is that it? Just wondered if I should get my partner to take the next day off too?
(Also, did it work for anyone, ie did you get pregnant soon after having the endo sorted??)
Thanks.

mummydospells Wed 18-Jul-07 12:02:06

I had one a few years ago and it was absolutely no problem. I felt fine the next day - I even went out for dinner in the evening. I did have a bit of pain in one shoulder (it's to do with the gas they put in to separate the organs for a better look) but nothing over-the-counter painkillers couldn't sort out. Are you having it done under general or local anaesthetic? If it's general, you might find you feel a bit groggy and tired for a while afterwards due to the effects of that.

foxinsocks Wed 18-Jul-07 12:02:34

attila is the endo expert (hope she doesn't mind me saying)

I have suspected endo but only got it after having the kids (I think)

I don't know about the lap/hysteroscopy but I would get your partner to take the next day off. It's under a general, isn't it (?), and you will probably feel wiped out for a bit.

Nbg Wed 18-Jul-07 12:04:11

My SIL has just had one.

She was quite out of it still the next day and very sore.

I wouldnt like to think that she had to do school runs and dog walking after it.

MadAsABagOfFrogs Wed 18-Jul-07 12:11:55

I found I was out of it the next day too, but then it takes a while for GA to work it's way through me. The nurse said I would be sent home in the afternoon when I had mine done in the morning and I was only just coming round at teatime. I did warn them but they didn't believe me and were just starting to have kittens lol.

I was pregnant and had a MC with in 3 months and fell pregnant 2 months after that.

muppetgirl Wed 18-Jul-07 12:12:58

Ive had 2 both for endo -the 1st to diagnose and the 2nd to separate adhesions caused by the endo.

Both times went fine but was sore the day after -are you sure you're allowed to drive to do the school run? I though anathestics (dredful sp I know) meant you couldn't for a week?

Once the adhesions were seapeated the pain was better but I did end up doing the implants that induced a fake menopause. I was on this (danazol/zolidex??) for 9 months and as soon as I came off I fell pregnant with ds1. I didn't even have a period so couldn't give anyone dates!

That was 3 years ago and the pain started to come back last year but I am now prgt with ds2.

Never give up!

ntsmum Wed 18-Jul-07 12:44:13

I had it done after ttc for a year or so. Felt completely fine afterwards and was pregnant within a few weeks, although I don't have endo.

Haylstones Wed 18-Jul-07 12:51:44

I've had 2, one to diagnose and one to excise endo. I've got to be honest and say it took a good week or so before I felt anything like my normal self, there was no way I'd have been up to evryday stuff the following day. I stayed in hospital the night before and night after and found the wounds quite painful for some time. IT could be that it was due more to the anaesthetic in my case as I always react badly.

Haylstones Wed 18-Jul-07 12:52:10

Oh and I conceived dd with no difficulty

Janus Wed 18-Jul-07 13:14:02

Fantastic, thanks, lots of really good info here. I will be under GA and I know I react badly, as in take some time to come around so was sure that day would be back to bed. I only have to walk to do school run, luckily, but even so will get dp to take the next day off too so that he can do school runs/dog and I can stay in bed! Thankfully it is then the weekend so I'll have him around then too. I so hope it works, I've been trying for 2 years, with one mc, having had 2 children by almost just looking at dp!! It's been really hard to deal with and I really want some answers as to why it hasn't happened this time, fingers crossed! Thanks again ladies.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 18-Jul-07 13:56:19

Hi Janus

You have been given some very good information already.

I would suggest that you have a look at www.endo.org.uk; this is the website of Endometriosis UK which is a charity designed to help women with endo and to raise awareness.

On the endo forum board there is a lot of information regarding laparoscopy and questions you should ask post op. The surgeon should not immediately visit you in the hours post op but arrange an appointment for say a week hence to discuss what was found. Ensure you are followed up a week later.

I found the pain in the shoulders (carbon dioxide gas is pumped into the abdominal cavity to get a better view of the organs) was the worst bit post lap. I was working full time at the time and was advised to take two days off work post op. If your partner can take time off post op this would be good as it will take pressure off you to do other things. You will be given a general anaethestic for this procedure, lap is keyhole surgery and are performed in such a manner. For the hysteroscopy this is done under local anaesthetic.

I was very fortunate and became pg two months post op. The op gave me several years of being pain free. I would however, say that endo can recur.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 18-Jul-07 14:01:51

Questions to ask post lap:-

1. What exactly was found and what was done?
I would ask this as sometimes laps are done as purely diagnostic procedures thus more surgery may be needed.
2. Were ovaries and fallopian tubes healthy?
3. Did you have an ovarian endometrioma if so how big?
4. Did you have many adhesions?
5. Was the bowel and bladder involved in the disease?
6. What stage is your endometriosis? (stage 1 is "mild")
7. What are the results of any biopsies?
8. Were any nerves cut to relieve your pain?
9. Was your appendix removed?
10. What further treatment is recommended?

Add any other questions to that list you can think of no matter how insignificant it may appear to you.

rebelmum1 Wed 18-Jul-07 14:03:11

I didn't jump back on my feet the next day. I remember setting off to the doc a few days later and I normally walk, I just hobbled. I was quite sore for a couple of weeks. But I don't react well to these things and I'm allergic to painkillers so had to brave it out. good luck and whatever happens don't take synarel.

Janus Wed 18-Jul-07 14:22:16

Thanks again, and thanks Attila for the web link, I will look at this and the excellent questions. I already have an appointment booked for the following week to meet the consultant to discuss in detail. She has said that if they find anything operable at the time, eg adhesions or endo, they will remove them there and then. I'm convinced my erpc following the mc, with a nasty infection a couple days later, has resulted in scaring. Not sure about endo too, I have heavy periods, lots of clotting in first couple of days with the need for a painkiller when I first wake up on first day, but no other symptoms, ie no pains in cycle, after sex, all through period, etc. Not convinced really but more sure it's scaring and hoping they can deal with this during these procedures, does that sound feasible Attila?

rebelmum1 Wed 18-Jul-07 14:36:08

I woke up in theatre with a gorgeous anaesthatist leaning over me and said ' have i died and gone to heaven!' cringe as soon as i came round properly i totterd to the loo to put some lippy on ..

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 18-Jul-07 14:45:43

Janus

In answer to your question yes it does sound feasible.

Glad to read also that there is a follow up appointment a week later. Have heard of too many surgeons discussing what was found when patient is still coming round post op!. Not good.

When I was wheeled into theatre the chap took one look at me looking wide eyed and scared and said, "its okay I'll just put you to sleep!". Had to count to ten, got as far as three then remember no more till I came round in the recovery room!.

rebelmum1 Wed 18-Jul-07 15:32:19

Yes that's true I completely forgot what I was told post op I couldn't tell you today whether I had the lesions burnt away or not.

pixie04 Sun 22-Jul-07 11:48:53

I had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy just over a year ago to diagnose endo (I also have ando)and also to have electrolosis for pre cancerous cells on my cervix. I had a GA and honestly was out of action for about a week but as I hadn't had a GA before I think it could have been more to do with that. I didn't experience too much abdominal pain. The consultant told me I have endo in the mild form and that ovaries and tubes are all clear. We decided to just manage pain rather than any drastic treatments as I'm under 25 and haven't had any babies yet. However I've been off the pill for over six months TTC and no joy as yet. Try to find out as much info about endo and possible treatments as you can. I felt better knowing other people had the same problem. Good luck with your op x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now