Talk

Advanced search

do light periods mean a short luteal phase and vice versa?

(9 Posts)
Sleepyhead11 Sat 04-May-19 11:21:34

Please can someone answer this? Just tried Googling and lots of stuff but no clear answer. Thank you.

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sat 04-May-19 11:56:31

No - luteul phase refers to the number of days between ovulation and your next period - anything less than around 10 days means that an embryo won't have time to implant before hormonal changes in the body make the environmental more hostile

Light periods aren't necessarily a bad thing? Heavier periods are more of a concern as they could indicate endometriosis - light periods could mean maybe your lining isn't getting that thick but I know people who have no/very light periods and have still gotten pregnant x

VenusStarr Sat 04-May-19 11:57:52

No, I have 25 day cycles but ovulate on cd12, so have a 12 day luteal phase. My periods are fairly light, only a couple of days. Have conceived but ended in mmc, nothing to do with my cycle length though. My lining was ok too.

I did track my bbt and uses opks to help me get to know my cycle better. You might want to try that if you're worried.

Sleepyhead11 Sat 04-May-19 12:03:14

@itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted thank you so much, that is reassuring to know x

@VenusStarr I might try OPKs next month, thank you. Although I drink a lot of water due to a medical condition so scared they won't work. So sorry for your MCs. x

VenusStarr Sat 04-May-19 12:06:43

Thank you @Sleepyhead11. If you use cheap opks from amazon you can test between 2pm and 10pm, it doesn't need to be after a particularly long hold (I didn't find that anyway). Good luck

Sleepyhead11 Sat 04-May-19 15:12:44

Thank you @Venusstarr . I've found these answers very reassuring. Good luck to you too X

RudyRoo Sat 04-May-19 17:20:33

@Sleepyhead11 I have had very light periods since coming off pill (8months ago) only 2 days intermittent bleeding, could get away with just a panty liner they were so light. Have been tracking though and luteal is average. Was worried about the lack of AF but just got my BFP yesterday at 15DPO. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Beachbodynowayready Sat 04-May-19 17:26:18

I had light periods. A 26 day cycle, +opk on day 12 and got bfp third cycle of ttc at 42!!

Sleepyhead11 Sat 04-May-19 19:36:14

Thank you @RudyRoo and @Beachbodynowayready that is really good to know. Just on third cycle now and thinking that might be why it's not happened yet, but you have made me feel better.

@Beachbodynowayready my mum was actually forty two, and had been told she had gone through early menopause, so thought she had no chance, then I came along. (Have three far older siblings who were born in her early twenties.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »