Talk

Advanced search

NATURAL BIRTH CONTROL ish...

(12 Posts)
Ccox Fri 03-May-19 13:23:14

Hi, I need some advice..my doctors recently told me I’m not aloud any oral contraception due to having an adverse reaction, I’ve heard horror story about the injection, coil and implant so really don’t think that they’re any good for me, but I’ve come across this app called natural cycles and a lot of people & youtubers have done videos on this and have not got pregnant while doing it the natural way..so basically you check your temperature every morning within the same 2 hour window with a basal thermometer and put your temp into the app and it will tell you if your okay to have sex or when your fertile window is, I am in a stable relationship, engaged and been together 7 years so we aren’t to fussed about getting pregnant if it happens, it happens but just thought maybe by trying this might give us another year or so to get married etc..anyone used this method?

Zoobedoo Fri 03-May-19 13:54:43

If you want to get pregnant, then yeah that method of contraception will be fine. If you don't, the non hormonal coil is amazing, I've had it years no problem and have always had heavy periods. It's not made them worse.

MrsRLM Fri 03-May-19 14:10:58

Temping (as you're describing) is mostly used whilst TTC.

For me, its too unreliable as contraception. For example, the first few months I was temping my ovulation date was out each month anything up to 5 days. Which means you could easily be in a fertile period without realising.

Weathergirl1 Fri 03-May-19 14:15:49

I used it for nearly 3 years as contraception successfully (in combination with condoms at fertile times), and then conceived on cycle 3 of trying earlier this year. I can't recommend it enough especially if you plan to TTC at some point in the future as you will already have a good idea about your cycles (and there are so many threads on this board where women's cycles take months to return to normal after stopping the pill!).

It does work, but you have to make sure you don't have unprotected sex when it says not to. It also won't work for everyone - you do need to take your temperature first thing (and after a few hours of unbroken sleep) I've never had a problem with that though. As a geek, I really enjoyed recording the data about my body!

Foxmuffin Fri 03-May-19 14:17:30

I have used it as contraception but only with DH and with us both having acknowledged that if it failed we’d have a baby.

Weathergirl1 Fri 03-May-19 14:20:09

PS: regarding ovulation fluctuating, it will give you more red days to begin with until you've been using it a while (to be on the safe side).

JoanneT88 Fri 03-May-19 14:31:33

@Ccox
I used Natural Cycles all of last year and loved it. I used it to help TTC which helped although ended in MC and have been using it since to just keep track to cycles.

Takes abit to get use to with take Temp same time ect but once in the swing of it it's great. Of course the risk of pregnancy is there but as long as you know the risks and use it correctly you should be fine.
It's nice being in charge of your body and not having any hormones in them once in a while x

YouJustDoYou Fri 03-May-19 14:47:30

I'm looking at my youngest who is the result of things like thissmile Barrier, chemical, or abstinence, is the only way to prevent/try to prevent pregnancy.

Ccox Fri 03-May-19 16:19:44

Do you use the natural cycles app too? X

CatLover210 Sat 04-May-19 09:08:53

I used Natural cycles in the past and got an unwanted pregnancy out of it as a result 🙋🏻‍♀️.

In the end I had to go through a medical abortion which was extremely traumatic for me.

My BBTs were always flip flopping about and I didn’t have an implantation dip on my chart or anything to suggest I’d conceived other than the missed period, which I didn’t need an app to tell me I’d missed my period. I don’t think I have the textbook basal body temperature they’re looking for.

I’d only suggest using natural cycles if you are trying to conceive.

tiedy Sat 25-May-19 11:11:16

I've been using natural cycles for 4 months. My temperature graphs are pretty good and it's managed to predict the day that my period would start every single month. It's still struggling a bit to predict ovulation though so I get a lot of red days and that is reassuring, I trust that green days are safe days. Hoping DH will get fed up of it sooner rather than later and get a vasectomy.

Whoops75 Sat 25-May-19 11:18:36

I used the persona so slightly different, worked for a few months and then I got pregnant. Not the same as your method but know lots of babies from similar methods.
My dh had a vasectomy while I was pregnant grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »