Talk

Advanced search

21 day progesterone test

(21 Posts)
Newbie21 Tue 30-Apr-19 19:10:48

For those of you who have had the 21 day progesterone test - question - so Gynaecologist has told me to go for the test, going by first day of cycle 21 days would be this Friday however based on ovulation (gynocologist confirmed it in my scan last week) 7 days into my luteal phase (assuming 13/14 day phase which would be my norm) would be today. However, I started spotting at the weekend and it's got heavier. I got stuck in a meeting so missed the clinic so will need to go tomorrow. But given my spotting is now on the heavier side I'm wondering if there is any point? I have been spotting for months now but it is getting earlier and earlier and this month I ovulated nearly a week early!!!

Will the test be worthwhile? Maybe I suppose it will show that my progesterone is super low hence the spotting and early period :-(

If they do diagnose low progesterone, can they do anything to increase it?

Michellebops Tue 30-Apr-19 19:20:50

Day 21 to confirm you have ovulated and will check for other issues. Mines showed up a b12 deficiency.

Newbie21 Wed 01-May-19 08:51:03

Thanks @Michellebops I'm going to go for the test this morning. Apparently it's 21 days assuming a 28 day cycle and since I know I ovulated much earlier than day 14 (on cd 9) gynaecologist said I should go a bit earlier as it's meant to be about 7 days before next period. Slightly annoying that my cycle is so off this time round but I guess if they need another test they will say and maybe it proves that there is a progesterone problem. I just wish someone could fix me to make it all work. I never envisaged this journey being so hard. Will try and be positive and thankful for what I have and the fact that I'm lucky to be having these tests.

Michellebops Wed 01-May-19 09:21:55

Good luck.

I feel your pain. On cycle 5 following a miscarriage last year. Af due Friday as I don't feel it's going to be a positive again this month.

Time is running out for us 😭

RudyRoo Wed 01-May-19 09:59:24

Hi @Newbie21 I'm not sure if this info helps you at all but I just had my CD21 results back and they were all fine. Levels were 40 which shows ovulation happened. I was concerned about the dates too as my cycles are not regular but I had bloods taken 5 days after peak ovulation (according to OPK's) and still showed up fine. Good luck x

Michellebops Wed 01-May-19 11:13:19

@RudyRoo is there somewhere we can check numbers?
Mines was 27.9 but gp was satisfied with the results.

I do get positive opk and definite ovulation pains however this month I feel as though I ovulated twice 🤷‍♀️

RudyRoo Wed 01-May-19 11:27:06

@Michellebops I'm sure I read on another thread that anything above 20 was good and showed ovulation but I am no expert!
I think if you are getting positive OPK's and pains, plus ewcm that is definitely a good indication things are 'normal'. Why do you think you have ovulated twice this month?

Michellebops Wed 01-May-19 14:10:15

@RudyRoo I got a positive smiley on cd 12 and ovulation pains on 13/14.

Then again on Saturday there which would have been cd22 I was experiencing the same pains and had a lot of wet cm and checked with an opk and it was darker than the control line. Which made no sense to me.

Af is due on Friday and I have cramps, headaches and sore boobs so definitely think she's on her way 😭

RudyRoo Wed 01-May-19 14:53:40

@Michellebops sounds like maybe your body geared up to ovulate and then didn't? Either way there's still a very good chance you did and you never know 🤞🏼

RudyRoo Wed 01-May-19 14:55:01

Don't want to get your hopes up but dark OPK second time could mean pregnant?! If AF doesn't show on Friday I would definitely do a test 😊

Michellebops Wed 01-May-19 15:39:51

Thank you.

I have everything crossed xx

Newbie21 Wed 01-May-19 19:18:57

@RudyRoo thanks for the info. That is super helpful.

Oooh @Michellebops fingers crossed that the second string line is due to a BFP. When is AF due?

I know I'm getting a bit technical but maybe you girls will know - if a corpus luteum showed up in my scan does that mean I definitely ovulated? Dr seemed to think I had ovulated. I think the progesterone test is to ensure I'll be able to hold on to any eggs. Apparently my lining looked ok but with all his spotting (and now it is regular brown spotting but still not like AF) I'm pretty sure my lining isn't staying out! My scan also revealed some sort of internal bleed which apparently can happen on ovulation so I suppose that could explain the spotting. It is all v confusing.

Newbie21 Wed 01-May-19 19:19:25

*strong not string!

Newbie21 Wed 01-May-19 19:21:06

*Staying put not out. Sorry I typed really fast and didn't read any of it but hopefully you know what I mean. 😬

Michellebops Wed 01-May-19 19:37:39

I took a 1 step test earlier which I as a total negative so not holding out much hope.

I found out today I have another ovarian cyst so I'm absolutely gutted 😭

Newbie21 Wed 01-May-19 23:42:02

Sorry to hear that @Michellebops Is the cyst of a size or nature that will cause concern? I thought that it was common to have cysts and it doesn't usually create any issue but again my knowledge is very limited.

Michellebops Thu 02-May-19 08:22:51

I've to chat with the doctor next week. It's smaller than the one I had removed last year. But big enough not to dissolve or disappear naturally.
😭

RudyRoo Thu 02-May-19 08:43:35

Sorry to hear this @Michellebops hope you are doing ok x

Michellebops Thu 02-May-19 10:31:00

Thank you @RudyRoo

I'm ok, just waiting to hear the options available but realistically this could be the end of my ttc journey.

RudyRoo Thu 02-May-19 12:47:43

@Michellebops I really hope that isn't the case for you. Do you have any children?

Michellebops Thu 02-May-19 14:21:13

Yes I have a 3 year old girl.

I also had a missed miscarriage last October at 12 weeks. My due date was last weekend.

We've been ttc since.
Period is due tomorrow and I don't hold out any hope for a positive

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »