Talk

Advanced search

Gutted after first try

(13 Posts)
MumToBe246 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:31:13

I know this is probably ridiculous but this month was our first month of trying. All my friends seemed to have conceived after the first month of trying so stupidly I thought I would be the same. It's 5 days before my period is due and I tried one of the clear blue early pregnancy test and it has said not pregnant. I had convinced myself that i had all the symptoms of pregnancy and now I'm left feeling so rubbish. I feel awful posting this because I know so many people try for years but I just feel so gutted and I wanted to see if anyone else felt the same/would make me feel better!!

ViolentGin Sun 28-Apr-19 20:34:36

Five days before your period is due is too early to test.

I think you know you're being a bit ridiculous, but I think we've all been there. The first month can take you by surprise because it's the first time you have "failed" (for lack of a better word) to conceive.

It's shit every month that it doesn't happen, but the feelings are less surprising after month one.

MumToBe246 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:40:58

Thankyou for getting back. Is it? A friend told me the early tests worked a treat for her. So it could still be a positive?

I know I'm being ridiculous, just needed to share with people that understood. X

ViolentGin Sun 28-Apr-19 20:43:52

I meant my reply to sound more light hearted than it did, I am sorry!

Test after you miss a period, otherwise you are building it up in your mind (and you'll spend a fortune on tests). The early tests can detect it but it depends on which day you ovulate and your literal phase. It is possible but try not to get your hopes up, it is unusual to conceive first time, despite it seeming like everyone else does!

It is perfectly normal for it to take up to a year.

ViolentGin Sun 28-Apr-19 20:44:20

*luteal

MumToBe246 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:46:48

Thankyou that's really helpful x

mussie Sun 28-Apr-19 20:48:15

Five days before your period can definitely be too early. For me that would mean testing at 5dpo which would have a snowballs chance in hell of showing a BFP, even if I was indeed pregnant. I normally test on the morning my period is due, but it's most sensible to wait until it's late.

Nicecupofcoco Sun 28-Apr-19 20:51:22

Hi op!
Yeah don't fret, too early to test, but like pp said I'd only test if you miss a period.
It took us just under a year, month 10, but using the ovulation kits helped, think I fell pregnant on the second month of using those, so you could always give them ago if your hoping to fall quickly?

Tiredmum100 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:54:23

I was on my honeymoon and was convinced I was pregnant. I just felt different. Bought a test, it was negative, didn't test again until we got home a few weeks later. (Dh said we can't trust pregnancy tests abroad- in America 🙄). I was indeed pregnant. I think I just tested to early.

Just be patient. Don't put lots of pressure on yourselves.

MumToBe246 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:56:17

This has made me feel so much better. Thankyou so much. Ovulation kits? Are they the sticks you wee on? I have got so much to learn!!! I've got the apps and it says to feel my cervix but I'm sure my cervix feels exactly the same everyday haha x

rs12 Mon 29-Apr-19 13:43:20

@MumToBe246 I'm in the same boat as you! This month was our first time trying (with the ovulation tests!) and I done one of those first response early pregnancy tests this morning and was disappointed 😞

I know it sounds ridiculous but I was quite disappointed and am imagining the worst 😞😞...

Will do another test in a few days (period is due on the 4th) but definitely think we're out this month.

lori2019 Mon 29-Apr-19 13:45:11

@rs12 you're not out til AF arrives... at least that's what I keep telling myself.

MsSquiz Mon 29-Apr-19 13:58:25

I would say 5 days is too early, but I know how hard it is to wait (I am THE most impatient person)

It took Us 18 months to finally get that positive. I used an app to track my ovulation throughout.
12 months down the line, I started using ovulation kits (I used the clear blue ones)
4 months later we used pre-seed lubricant

And on the 2nd month with pre-seed, we got our positive.

It is easily to become obsessive and for it to become all consuming, but funnily enough we conceived the 1 month that we only had sex twice around the time of ovulation due to being super busy. So the 1 month we weren't "full on" is the month it worked for us

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »