Talk

Advanced search

Question about pregnancy v period symptoms

(10 Posts)
tisonlymeagain Wed 24-Apr-19 16:25:00

I am 5dpo today so obviously way too early for pregnancy symptoms to be a thing but I have a bit of a question.

I keep reading on here that everyone says you don't get pregnancy symptoms until implantation takes place so maybe between 7-12dpo.

Today I have got boob pain - totally normal for me, I get it about 7-10 days before AF arrives.

If that boob pain is here now and it's too early for implantation/symptoms that's got to be a clear sign that AF will arrive next week then, no?

Or does your body gear up for AF first, and then that goes away once implantation happens?

Any biology experts grin

Bubblebubble123 Wed 24-Apr-19 20:58:39

I’m not sure but I definitely knew with my first, a few days after conception, that I was pregnant coz my boobs felt different. I’m pretty sure it was 4 or 5 days after. However I wouldn’t usually get sore boobs before my period. But I definitely felt symptoms pre implantation that time. I’m pregnant again now and symptoms weren’t the same but I felt crampy all day on 5dpo and had a pretty strong twinge feeling on 6dpo - must have been implantation as I got a clear bfp on 9dpo. Basically I think you can have symptoms early so I wouldn’t rule out pregnancy just yet.

Aph413 Wed 24-Apr-19 21:02:33

I always get sore boobs as soon as I ovulate, got them the cycle I conceived too. I was actually completely convinced I wasn't pregnant because everything leading up to my missed period felt like it was coming.

tisonlymeagain Wed 24-Apr-19 21:04:46

Thank you @Bubblebubble123 @Aph413 that's quite reassuring. It feels hard when most pregnancy symptoms are things that I experience every month with AF anyhow. I'll keep the faith until next week!

SinkGirl Wed 24-Apr-19 21:04:55

By a week post ovulation, I looked like I’d had a breast enhancement. My boobs always hurt before my period but this was different - they were rock solid and really painful and looked completely different.

I was having twins though so much higher hormone levels

tisonlymeagain Sun 28-Apr-19 12:53:07

9dpo today and still experiencing a lot of symptoms, but still just like AF, but maybe heightened? Could be that I am looking for it though...

Kinsters Sun 28-Apr-19 13:19:15

I find each cycle is different for me whether I'm pregnant or not. One memorable cycle I felt sooo sick, tired and was peeing loads. Definitely wasn't pregnant.

Could you have ovulated a bit earlier than you thought? Try a test!

tisonlymeagain Sun 28-Apr-19 13:38:19

I was using OPKs so pretty sure I ovulated on 19th/20th April. Will have to wait until the end of this week to find out.

Bubblebubble123 Sun 28-Apr-19 13:53:23

I got my positive on a frer at 9dpo. Might be worth a shot.

KnitKitty Sun 28-Apr-19 13:53:55

Here's what I understand of it:
After you ovulate your body is preparing itself for implantation and your progesterone levels stay quite high. Progesterone can be a cause PMS symptoms; so you can have PMS for up to two weeks before your period. If you don't conceive the progesterone levels drop, and if they drop, that's when you get your period. If you get pregnant the progesterone levels stay raised; and HCG rises too.
Other hormones also rise and fall during your natural cycle and it's believed it's the fluctuating levels which causes PMS symptoms like sore boobs, irritability, changes in appetite and even nausea for some women.

Unfortunately, PMS and first signs of pregnancy are extremely similar, if not the same, so it can be near impossible to tell them apart. Some women do notice slight changes and get an inkling that it's not just average PMS... But the only way to really know is when you're late and/or you POAS. grin

They say that it's impossible to get pregnancy symptoms until implantation because your body hasn't started producing pregnancy hormones, and effectively doesn't know it's pregnant yet. And it can take up to 10 days to implant as the egg has to travel down from the Fallopian tube when it's fertilised.

My first pregnancy symptoms were cramping on and off (which I also get before my period sometimes, so thought nothing of it, except it started earlier and it lasted longer until it became constant. It was the type of thing where I had a moment of thinking "oh, I wonder..." and then brushed it off) and also burping a lot and getting trapped burps; which started happening around the time I implanted. This isn't something normal for me so it was a sure sign, but I didn't know that at the time and wondered if it was a stress symptom or something. Again, I wasn't sure until doing a test...

If you're in tune with your body you might notice subtle changes to your norm; but on the other hand PMS can vary month to month and if TTC is on your mind a lot there can be a psychological factor getting in the way! You will second-guess every twinge, gag reflex, sensation, smell, taste etc...
My best advice. Find distractions in the TWW... Lots of distractions! grin

Best of luck! Fingers crossed for you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »