Talk

Advanced search

Debt and ttc?

(8 Posts)
whatdoyouthinq Tue 23-Apr-19 12:28:54

Is it ok to have some debt and ttc?

Both my partner and I have guaranteed jobs (teachers) and earn over 60k collectively at the moment. This will have risen to 80k within the next 3/4 years.

We have a little debt, which is managed, from our uni days. Around 15k collectively but this is under a loan and one payment of £306 a month minimum. We can comfortably pay this off within 3/4 years.

We've decided to start ttc now as we are ready for a baby emotionally and have enough free income to afford one.

Is it 'normal' to have a little debt? I worry that so many people seem to be starting in their mid-thirties and boast that they are 'debt free' and have big houses with big mortgages. It doesn't make us bad people to want a baby now, does it?

I'm late twenties, secure home, secure job, very supportive family on both sides. We're getting married next year.

My mat leave is decent - 3 months full pay then stat pay for 6/7 months. Would most likely take 9 months off then back to full time. Grandparents would provide free childcare.

I guess I'm just thinking it out loud!

Kinsters Tue 23-Apr-19 12:35:47

I wouldn't say it's normal to have £15k of debt but if you've got a plan to clear it and can afford what you want to do then it shouldn't be a reason to delay ttc.

12pinkchairs Tue 23-Apr-19 12:44:26

I have more debt than that, also teacher but husband isn't, late 20s, have one child and one on the way. I wouldn't wait to TTC, life doesn't always go to plan in that department. We made sure we had a home and careers were sorted but didn't clear debts.

Keyboard91 Tue 23-Apr-19 12:55:44

Hi,

I'm a teacher, my DP is not and has a low wage. Combined we earn around £43-45k dependent on his overtime.

I owe around £4k (3k overdraft and £800 on a card), mainly left over from uni and the card from home improvements when I got my house 3 years ago. I also have a mortgage.

We are TTC. I get the bare minimum for Mat (2 weeks full, 4 weeks 90% and then SMP ... As a teacher its pretty disgusting - This is my 2nd year at this school!) but I will still take at least 9 months depending on term times etc which realistically will put us into more debt. But we can pay that off after. Life is too short and my clock is ticking!

At the end of the day, we have a secure roof over our heads and live comfortably. People have babies all the time, with much less, and they manage. It just means you may have to be savvy, make use of family etc.

Good luck smile

MrsEG Tue 23-Apr-19 13:04:59

These days, who doesn’t have debts! I think as long as you have a plan in place to keep up with payments whilst on mat leave then go for it. It’s only 9 months at the end of the day, and you’ll find some places even do payment holidays (our bank do for the mortgage). Good luck!

whatdoyouthinq Tue 23-Apr-19 13:07:03

Thanks everyone for your replies smile these are all points my OH and sister have said too. I'm worried that we wait and end up having trouble conceiving. We would also like to be 'younger' parents and be able to go great holidays etc whilst we are still younger and working.

I just wanted a bit of reassurance as have read a few posts stating that people earn £100k plus and are waiting to ttc due to clearing debt etc.

Obviously debt isn't ideal 🙄 but unfortunately since my mum didn't have any money to support me during my 5 years at uni, I had to fund it all myself and help my DP during that time too. The debt is under control and in one monthly payment to a loan. The apr isn't the best but I can get a better apr next year and take the payments down more smile I wish we didn't have debt but it was inevitable for us.

Should state we've been together over 6 years now too and engaged for 2 years.

Gazelda Tue 23-Apr-19 13:08:32

Are you 100% certain that grandparents will offer free FT childcare? That's very, very generous of them.

Personally I'd wait until after the wedding. I'd scrimp every penny each month to pay off the loan early. And then TTC.

pinkoi Tue 23-Apr-19 13:49:14

It sounds like you are really sensible financially and have a good plan for everything that is manageable.

The only thing is that if you are getting married and it's all booked and paid for, what happens if you conceive quickly and the baby comes in the middle of all of that??

I'm not married but it seems like weddings are a heap of stress anyway without being heavily pregnant/in labour/with a newborn. How easy would it be to move your plans?

Might be worth working out timings and maybe pause TTC when your due date would fall a couple of months either side of the wedding date?

You will know what feels right at the end of the day...
smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »