Talk

Advanced search

Any one used norethisterone to delay period?

(12 Posts)
Pastnowfuture Mon 22-Apr-19 19:49:11

Hi all,
I'm going on holiday at the end of the month but AF is due. I suffer quite badly with heavy periods and more recently extreme dizziness for 2-3 days. I will be having blood tests to try and check out why I'm getting so dizzy during AF but in the meantime my doctor has prescribed norethisterone to delay my period so I can enjoy the holiday. I just wondered if anyone had taken this before and what the impact was on their cycle? I know my period will start a couple of days after stopping the tablets but will my cycle be impacted on a longer term basis? When I get my (delayed) period will this be day 1 of my cycle or should I use the original date? I'm new to ttc and wonder if this will throw everything off! X

golightlytoday Mon 22-Apr-19 19:56:29

It made me a hormonal nightmare. Like the worst pmt x10. I wouldnt ever take it again.

But likely others were fine!

tisonlymeagain Mon 22-Apr-19 19:58:24

I've used it a few times, no ill effects aside from being a little bloated. Worked really well and period would make its appearance about 5-7 days after I took the last one.

LeviOsaNotLeviosAR Mon 22-Apr-19 20:05:11

I've had it a few times for holidays. AF usually arrives a few days after the last tablet. I suffer with heavy periods at the best of times but I find the flow and cramps are particularly horrendous after the tablets.
Having said that I would always take them if it meant avoiding a period on holiday.

Groovee Mon 22-Apr-19 20:06:30

I took it and was completely unreasonable about the slightest thing. It worked well for Dd on the same holiday though 😂

dottydally Mon 22-Apr-19 20:16:37

I took Provera last year for a holiday (which is what my GP prescribes in the place of Norethisterone). We were waiting until the new year to ttc but I was tracking cycles, 6 months off the pill when I took it with regular 28 day cycles. The doctors promised me it wouldn't affect my cycle but it pushed me from 28 days to 34 sad That said, I am now expecting baby number 1 so it didn't have any negative effects in that respect!

Chesneyhawkes1 Mon 22-Apr-19 20:18:39

I took it for my wedding reception. No bloating and worked fine.

The period after was really light but really painful though.

Hushabyelullaby Mon 22-Apr-19 20:30:26

I've taken it a few times, no side effects, and no period worse than normal.

Pastnowfuture Mon 22-Apr-19 21:04:48

Thank you all so much...a mixed bag of good and not so good it seems!

McHelenz Mon 22-Apr-19 21:20:47

Yea, however I wanted it last year and doctors are cutting back on prescribing - there has been increasing evidence of it causing clots. They deffo would prescribe if you're flying long haul.

McHelenz Mon 22-Apr-19 21:21:01

Yea, however I wanted it last year and doctors are cutting back on prescribing - there has been increasing evidence of it causing clots. They deffo would prescribe if you're flying long haul.

Pastnowfuture Mon 22-Apr-19 21:58:40

Thats interesting McHelenz. No long haul for me anyway x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »