Talk

Advanced search

BFP but going on a wine-inspired hen do next weekend! Suggestions please...

(12 Posts)
TTc2019BabyNo1 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:04:18

Hi All,

I got my BFP today (yay!) but i’m bridesmaid for a friends wedding in a month or two and we have her hen do in the South of France wine regions next weekend! I am never one to turn down a glass of wine, i’d love to hear everyone’s suggestions on how I can not drink and get away with it!!
Thanks!!

Whyhaveidonethis Sat 20-Apr-19 12:08:08

I'd either say I was on metronidazole for BV as you can't drink on that at all, or I'd drink one glass very slowly and keep filling others up so they don't notice I'm not drinking mine!!!

Good luck and congratulations!!!

amymel2016 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:10:21

Medication! Say you’ve had a tooth abscess and are on amoxicillin and metronidazole, my friends a pharmacist and says under no account should someone drink when they’re taking these (just in case any of them know their stuff!). Put your prenatal vitamins in a little bag and pass them off as the antibiotics if you need to go to that much detail!

SoHotADragonRetired Sat 20-Apr-19 12:12:49

Depends on how much you'd hate it if someone guessed and how likely they are to blurt "OMG, are you pregnant?!"

In general claiming antibiotics is a dead giveaway and will be interpreted by everyone as "TTC is pregnant". I have had high levels of success with accepting a drink, sipping it very occasionally, pretending to sip it more often, and quietly pouring it down a drain when no one is looking. No one really notices what you do with a drink once you've accepted it.

Rosie2531 Sat 20-Apr-19 12:48:31

Would you be willing to tell your friend? They could help you to convince the rest that it's medication related.

MrsEG Sat 20-Apr-19 13:23:54

In my experience, if you turn up at a hen do and don’t drink all the girls will raise eyebrows immediately. I would tell the person you are closest with beforehand and see if they can help out with the ‘white lie’ as a back up - antibiotics is always a good one smile And congratulations!

Bambamber Sat 20-Apr-19 13:25:54

If you go down the medication route people may cotton on anyway. I went to a wedding a couple of years ago while I genuinely had an inner ear infection so couldn't drink as I was antibiotics. At least 5 people smugly asked if I was pregnant, until I equally smugly pulled the antibiotics out my bag.

I would go and very slowly sip a drink and too some away while people aren't looking. With any luck the others will be merry enough that they won't notice how much you're actually drinking

Mrsmummy90 Sat 20-Apr-19 14:07:55

Saying you're on antibiotics is a dead giveaway!
I was pregnant at my wedding and had a word with the staff at the venue so when everyone else was drinking wine and champagne, I had shloer and no one noticed.
Would it be worth speaking to the staff there and taking some shloer with you?

TTc2019BabyNo1 Sat 20-Apr-19 20:46:42

Hi everyone!
Thank you for your replies!! I like the tooth abscess idea but I think, like others have said, medication is a giveaway!
I wouldn’t mind people putting me on the spot if it was 9-10 weeks down the line, but i’be literally just found out so really would not like everyone to find out now.

I’m thinking I will confide in one friend to help cover me, I’ll always take a glass but try and lose it somewhere - which is much easier if we’re out drinking than if we’re sitting around a dinner table..., not sure what to do there...!
Sadly, i’m going abroad with only hand luggage so I can’t take any non-alcoholic stuff. Anyone have any idea how to say non-alcoholic wine in french?

Thanks so much all!!

pinkoi Sat 20-Apr-19 21:58:02

Just slowly sip one glass, a tiny bit of alcohol won't hurt you. Take your glass to the loo and chuck it away every now and again so you can have a refill.
Soon everyone else will be too pissed to be keeping count of what you are doing!

CZFR Sun 21-Apr-19 07:21:15

Non-alcoholic wine in french would be 'vin sans alcohol'. Good luck!! X

TTc2019BabyNo1 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:50:01

Hi All!
I think I got away with it!
Well, I think one or two may have their suspicions but no one said anything 👍!
I roped a friend in and she helped me out on the odd occasion but I tended to sip wine and then say it wasn’t going down well or I wasn’t feeling it!
Thanks for all your help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »