Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation - what's going on?!

(6 Posts)
Sheep90 Sat 20-Apr-19 09:27:02

Hi everyone, I'm new here!
We're TTC #1, cycle one so very early on in the journey!

I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation ovulation wise. I have reasonably irregular cycles, anywhere from 28 to 36 days, but typically closer to 35 days- this has always been the case, from when I started getting periods as a teenager. Periods are typically 4-5 days and I get a lot of pain, but nothing that's worried me.

I went to the doctor a few years ago, just to check that having irregular cycles was nothing to worry about. I didn't really get a solid answer, but was told blood tests were fine and also had an ultrasound which looked fine.

I've been using ovulation strips, which have indicated that I have medium LH levels, 6, 7 and 8 days after the start of my period. I've taken quite a few to check accuracy, and all are showing 2 definite lines. I'd assumed that, if I have a longer cycle, I'd ovulate later on into it? And if I really am ovulating, what on earth is my body doing for so long before my period comes?! Then, to make things even weirder, on days 9 and 10 of my cycle, LH levels are reading as low.

Is anyone experiencing anything similar/ has figured out how to best track ovulation when your cycle is irregular?

Thanks so much!

physicskate Sat 20-Apr-19 10:52:48

Ov tests don't work on a high/medium/ low lh level. There is generally some lh in your system. The only time it means anything at all is when the two lines are as dark as each other or if the test line is darker than control, which indicates a surge of lutenising hormone which is required to mature the egg 12-72 hours before it's released.

Most women ovulate about two weeks before af arrives. This doesn't have to be on the same cycle day each cycle.

KatnissKringle Sat 20-Apr-19 11:22:15

Yeah you always get 2 lines on opks ime. You have to wait for the test line to be darker or as dark as the control. I have similar length cycles and ovulate around CD18.

Sheep90 Mon 29-Apr-19 18:05:47

Thanks for your replies. I really have no idea if I ovulate this month. Timing wise, I should have ovulated Saturday or yesterday (ish- it's hard to know for sure because my cycles are fairly long and different lengths each month, if only by a few days). I had EWCM on Saturday and I've been using OPKs, all of which have been negative. I've generally been testing every 24 hours, at about 5pm. I just don't want to test at work! Is there a chance that I did ovulate, I just missed a positive reading due to the times I've been testing?

physicskate Mon 29-Apr-19 19:20:42

Yes. It's entirely possible to miss the surge and then still go on to ovulate. Or perhaps you haven't had an lh surge yet. Opks don't take away all the possible guesswork... ttc really is maddening.

Sheep90 Mon 29-Apr-19 19:25:29

Yes! So frustrating that I can't even understand what's going on with my own body. I had 2 similarly strong lines on an OPK just after my period finished, but nothing anywhere near as strong since. Can't explain it at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »