Talk

Advanced search

Suspected low progesterone. GP won't do blood test.

(15 Posts)
beth845 Thu 18-Apr-19 10:51:54

My husband and I have been TTC for 6 months. Appreciate that in TTC terms that's not long but things don't seem right. I am 35 and have short cycles (19-22 days). I have been tracking BBT and using OPKs. It looks like I ovulate around day 12. But after a temp rise for a few days it comes back down again and I have a short luteal phase. I've always thought something was not quite right with my hormones and this looks like low progesterone. I have symptoms of low progesterone and so if this was sorted, irrelevant of the fertility issue I would be so relieved as I feel pretty unwell at times.

I have seen an acupuncturist and without me mentioning my suspicions she took a look at my BBT chart and said it looked like low progesterone. She suggested I asked my GP for tests.

I saw my GP yesterday to ask for blood tests. I appreciate we've not been ttc for long but due to my age and irregular cycles I thought that merited an appointment- as per the NHS guidance on their website.

The GP was so rude. He didn't ask me any questions about my medical or sexual history or about my cycle or intercourse with my husband. He told me that difficulty conceiving is a common problem due to people leaving it too late and gave me a lecture on the cost of IVF to the NHS! Basically told me to come back in 6 months.

I was so upset and have requested an appointment with a different GP. I plan to also complain to the practice manager. In the mean time can anyone give me any advice for my next appointment? I'm not asking to be referred or for any treatment- I just literally want a few blood tests because my cycles are irregular and my luteal phase is short.

I am taking b6, vitamin C, agnus castus and pregnacare in the hope of improving things.

Thanks in advance.

MrFlibblesEyes Thu 18-Apr-19 12:08:37

I thought if you are over 35 it was recommended to see the gp after 6 months, not a year? I would mention this at your next appointment and be really insistent about the blood tests. That being said however I had symptoms of low progesterone (short luteal phase, low temps, light periods etc) and my test came back completely normal! Gps are notoriously shite at recognising the importance progesterone plays in conceiving and maintaining pregnancy so things like a quick drop in temps doesn't seem to register with them, they tend to just test on day 21 to indicate ovulation and that's about it!

beth845 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:30:04

Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry to hear you’re in the same low progesterone boat! How are things working out for you?

I went to the docs because like you say over 35 and ttc for 12 months. Also guidelines say to go if you have irregular periods or cycle under 21 days. So there I was! He told me he was a locum doctor and didn't know the guidelines for my area. Apparently I shouldn’t have looked at the nhs website and should have checked local guidelines. I thought the guidelines were for ivf. Not for a blood test. Gosh- he made me so mad. It made me angry for couples who may be finding things more difficult that I am. He was so ignorant. I feel like I know more about fertility than he does.

I’ve read about temps coming back normal and I think mine might as I do seem to ovulate. It’s after that it goes downhill! But would just like to get the ball rolling as I can’t wait and wonder when I strongly suspect something that might be fairly simple to rectify is not quite right.

Will stick to my guns for my next appointment and hope for a better attitude...

Thanks again and all the best to you and those hormones!

beth845 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:30:34

I’m meant ttc for 6 months- not 12.

beth845 Thu 18-Apr-19 12:31:46

And I meant tests not temps. Typing too quickly when I’m on one- lol!

flumpybear Thu 18-Apr-19 12:34:04

I was about to say agnus castus but you're already there
I had the same and it worked well for us grin good luck

flumpybear Thu 18-Apr-19 12:35:11

Oh I also took Hugh concentration evening primrose oil but I think that was bExcuse I was having trouble falling pregnant

MrFlibblesEyes Thu 18-Apr-19 12:52:20

@beth845 I'm actually 14 weeks pregnant (took a year and a half, I'm 33)! Our problem turned out to be male factor, but to help myself I bought some progesterone cream from wellsprings which I used from ovulation up until the end of my first trimester. I noticed a difference when I used it, it seemed to lengthen my luteal phase, I had higher temps and more progesterone related symptoms (like sore boobs). Could have all been the placebo effect but it seemed worth a shot. Good luck to you x

MrFlibblesEyes Thu 18-Apr-19 12:54:21

Oh and I also took the female proxeed too x

MrFlibblesEyes Thu 18-Apr-19 12:56:01

That was supposed to say ohh, not other half (stupid mumsnet correction.) he took the male version 😂

bumblingalonghappily Thu 18-Apr-19 14:01:31

Hi @beth845 I was in exactly the same boat as you a couple of months back. I had been TTC for 7 months and was worried that progesterone was the issue due to short luteal phase, slow to rise BBT etc. I paid for a private test the same month to check my levels but in the end it didn't seem necessary as I got pregnant that same month! Still worried about progesterone now (have had three more tests since my BFP). Just worth considering that you can pay privately and get results in about 2 days if that's an option for you.

miracleon13th Thu 18-Apr-19 17:55:26

You can buy home progesterone year kits on amazon - they are just the same as the OPK ones - I would try some of those? Use an app like Premom and it will take a photo of your tests and tell you if it's high or not x

Mamabear12 Thu 18-Apr-19 18:30:36

With NHS if you are insistent they will do the blood work. Go to a different GP and explain what your concerns on and say I want a blood test. If they try to discourage insist on it. Let them know you have been trying over 6 months and 35 so you know it’s important to get things check out ASAP!

beth845 Fri 26-Apr-19 17:53:56

Sorry for the silence. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and encouragement. Lovely news for those with BFPs smile I had an appointment with another doctor who was much more amiable- he is giving me the blood tests and also offered semen analysis for my husband. He knew I was annoyed with my previous appointment so offered us the works. Just a shame to be met with a negative and ignorant attitude at the first hurdle. I’m taking all of my vitamins in the mean time and also going for acupuncture. Thanks again smile x

beth845 Mon 15-Jul-19 13:04:01

Just wanted to update you all on this. I’m actually pregnant! I was when I last posted but I didn’t know. I’m 14 weeks. So just wanted to give hope to anyone else who comes across this. Coincided with me taking the vitamins above and also going for acupuncture so may be worth a try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »