Talk

Advanced search

What are my chances of actually conceiving?

(15 Posts)
Loveinthefirstdegree Wed 17-Apr-19 14:54:34

Had DD 7 weeks ago. I am not breastfeeding but I express 3 times a week. I am also overweight.

It took me about a year to conceive DD as my periods were all over the place. Never did find out why.

My periods haven’t really returned yet and after an episiotomy and a third degree tear, I’m ready to have sex again. I do really badly under hormonal contraceptives and can’t be bothered to use condoms so not using anything.

My doctor at my 6 week check said that as I’m producing breast milk still it will act as a contraceptive.

So am I right in thinking that my chances of falling pregnant are really low?

Dinosforall Wed 17-Apr-19 14:59:13

shock you are playing with fire here. Iirc bf only acts as contraception when it's the only method of feeding (ie every few hours).

Loveinthefirstdegree Wed 17-Apr-19 15:03:46

See that’s what I thought! Then the dr said that me producing breastmilk protects me from falling pregnant really threw me.

MrsC89 Wed 17-Apr-19 15:47:04

I know of someone that got pregnant when breastfeeding and had the same advice as OP!

Peanutty86 Wed 17-Apr-19 15:48:33

Even with expressing or full time feeding there's still a chance of ovulating, so you can fall pregnant. My periods have returned when my lo was 6 months old despite breast feeding. Has your gp mentioned the copper coil to you? That's what I have now as I'm terrible on hormones.

Loveinthefirstdegree Wed 17-Apr-19 17:54:27

Thanks all.

@Peanutty86 - I did enquire about the coil but dr said that its probably not ideal if your going to try again for another baby in the next 5 years. I didn’t want to have it in and then take it out in 9 months time (when we start TTC again)

Waitingonasmiley42 Wed 17-Apr-19 19:09:57

3 times a week?? That won't protect you from pregnancy. LAM only works if you are exclusively breastfeeding a baby under 6 months and even then there's other criteria that must be met.

Peanutty86 Wed 17-Apr-19 20:30:29

@Loveinthefirstdegree never heard the 5 year thing before. If that's what your gp said, it's likely due to trying to save money and time. Many of my baby class mums have had it fitted and most of them want another baby within two-three years.

MyDcAreMarvel Wed 17-Apr-19 20:32:11

I exclusively breastfed twins and still fell pregnant when they were three months old.

Bambamber Wed 17-Apr-19 20:50:54

You and your Dr are absolutely wrong. You can still get pregnant while EBF. Occassionally expressing will not act as natural contraception.

Also bare in mind you generally ovulate before your period comes, so you can get pregnant before your periods return

Gobbolinothewitchscat Wed 17-Apr-19 20:59:51

I exclusively breastfed and my 5 and 6 year olds are 13 months apart.

Exhausted18 Wed 17-Apr-19 21:36:07

My friend was EBF with her first and thought she was safe. Her boys are exactly 11 months apart smile

Loveinthefirstdegree Wed 17-Apr-19 23:19:00

Thanks all!

Sorry meant to put I express 3 times a day 🙈

Condoms it is then! Although I doubt I’m particularly fertile atm just because it took a year to have DD.

Slightly concerning that the dr had been giving out that information...

EL8888 Thu 18-Apr-19 00:21:44

I know people who have got pregnant while breastfeeding and l don’t think it’s that uncommon

Dinosforall Thu 18-Apr-19 09:04:38

For what it's worth, my GP had no issue at all with giving me a coil after dc1 even though we both knew it wouldn't be in for too long before we tried for dc2.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »