Talk

Advanced search

Short luteal phase...success stories?

(16 Posts)
MamaGeordie Fri 12-Apr-19 23:47:38

Hi all,
I have had shorter than average cycles for as long as I can remember, ranging from 21 - 26 days but mostly 23 days. I've had 2 previous successful pregnancies, conceived with relative ease without tracking so didn't ever understand the short LP issue. I recently had an early miscarriage and have since been tracking my cycles with OPKs because I'm an obsessive bugger who can't just let go and need to understand what happened. It's working out that my luteal phase is around 7-9 days long which from what I've read is short and hardly ideal for a sticky egg.
I'm probably being irrational but have convinced myself that this is going to be a problem for ttc #3. Does anyone have any positive experiences with short LPs? I'm driving myself batty!

teacuptale Fri 12-Apr-19 23:52:19

Yes! I have a short luteal phase- varies from 6 days to 9 days. I have one child and am well into my second pregnancy.

misstime Sat 13-Apr-19 17:45:51

I have a short LP, normally around 9 days. I have not had issues getting pregnant despite this. I had three miscarriages in less than a year prior to my current pregnancy (I'm 22 weeks) but they were nothing to do with my short LP. I think my body just compensates for the short LP by implanting early. Always had a BFP by 9/10DPO. I did take vitamin B6 but it never lengthened by LP, although did extend my cycle overall. I wouldn't worry too much yet, lots of women conceive with short LPs! You've probably always had one and just didn't realise!

hcopp Sat 13-Apr-19 19:00:24

I used to get up to a week of spotting prior to AF showing properly. This does seem to have stopped since taking conception multivitamins (with B6), so I think that has helped. It's calmed my fears that my body wasn't really doing the luteal phase properly.

Hereforthecake Sat 13-Apr-19 19:11:29

Also have a short phase, and cycles of 23 days. I gave birth to DS in December - it did take us a fairly long time to conceive, and a missed miscarriage, but don’t think they’re connected.

WhiteVixen Sat 13-Apr-19 19:14:33

I also have short cycles, 24-25 days, and a short luteal phase. They’ve only been like this after having my daughter, they were pretty textbook beforehand. Anyway, it’s taken us a couple of years but I am now 13 weeks pregnant with our second.

MamaGeordie Sun 14-Apr-19 23:26:20

Thank you all for your replies. You've perked me up no end. I feel like this whole business makes people irrational and overthink, especially me as I'm like that at the best of times anyway! Need to give my head a wobble.
Good luck to those pregnant - hope all goes beautifully for you 💖

Mamabear12 Mon 15-Apr-19 07:32:56

I read taking b vitamins can help. And vitamin C. The multi vitamin isn’t enough for C so take an additional one. I wasn’t sure if I had a short leteal, but I spotted before periods so mine was like 9-10 days I think if I spotted earlier. I took a prenatal vitamin and also berocca vitamin B sometimes. Last month I took Vitamin c on occasion and this month got pregnant with our 3rd. I too had no problems conceiving my first two. But my third took 6 cycles and suddenly I wondered what was going on etc.

MamaGeordie Mon 15-Apr-19 19:54:39

@Mamabear12 thank you for the advice. My friend is a midwife and has always told me 3rd babies are tinkers. Perhaps there's truth in that! All the best in your pregnancy.

Headswim Mon 15-Apr-19 21:37:33

Agnus castus is a supplement to check out. I am taking for the same thing. Also definitely high dose of vit b and vit c, but those should be in most Prenatal vits, I take Terra Nova.

MamaGeordie Sun 21-Apr-19 20:37:27

Just to update this thread, I found out I'm pregnant today. Early days and hoping it sticks. Thanks again 😊

WhiteVixen Sun 21-Apr-19 20:40:14

Oh my goodness MamaGeordie that’s wonderful! Huge congratulations and fingers crossed for you!

MrsM18 Fri 26-Apr-19 19:21:18

Hope you don't mind me popping on here - I'm finding my LP is getting shorter and shorter. This month for example positive OPK on CD21 and my cycle is usually bang on 27 days. Feeling a bit confused with it all. Just nice to read success stories x

Mamabear12 Sat 27-Apr-19 07:52:59

My first two kids were conceived easily when my cycle was 28 days on the dot. But in the last year or two I started getting shorter cycles (luteal phase) and spotting from day 23 and AF day 26. Acupuncture, vitamins and a slight change in diet helped me. I started drinking less wine. I never had more then two glasses, but that was 4-5 times a week! So I cut down to 3 times a week and that worked for me. Cycle became 27 days and spotting at day 25. When I was younger and ate loads of sugar and chocolate this made my cycle 21 days!!! So I know I am effected by diet with my cycles. Anyway, third time trying took longer 6-7 cycles of trying...as I sorted out my luteal phase and started taking vitamins etc.

TildaTurnip Sat 27-Apr-19 07:55:52

I had very long cycles but 8/9 day luteal phases. Took 6 months to conceive my second child.

MrsM18 Sat 27-Apr-19 15:58:18

Good to know @mamabear I don't drink alcohol or smoke & have a very healthy diet so wouldn't really be able to change lifestyle 😩 I'll have a look at taking vitamins x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »