Talk

Advanced search

Possible silly question about ovulation

(5 Posts)
Fuzzyduck21 Wed 03-Apr-19 07:44:08

Is it possible to ovulate and not have a period afterwards? Or does a period always follow ovulation (except if pregnant obviously!)? I've been having ovulation twinges for a few months yet no period ever follows and not pregnant (I have a form of PCOS)...

RandomUsernameHere Wed 03-Apr-19 14:26:13

No answers I'm afraid but watching with interest. I'm pretty sure I ov'd this month for the first time since stopping the pill, but BFN and no sign of AF!

Fuzzyduck21 Wed 03-Apr-19 23:31:45

I know, it's a mystery! I'm sure they didn't teach us this stuff at school smile

Kinsters Thu 04-Apr-19 04:27:01

If you ovulate you should have a period. When you ovulate a corpus luteum forms on the ovary that ovulated and this structure releases progesterone to support the implantation of an embryo, with one of the effects being a thickening of the lining of the womb.

If after about 14 days no embryo has implanted then the corpus luteum decays and stops producing progesterone which triggers the shedding of the womb lining i.e. your period starts.

You could try tracking your basal body temperature? That would confirm whether you're ovulating.

jmgX Thu 04-Apr-19 18:58:20

very interested in this too! apparently i ovulated (using opks) between the 12th- 14th of march and im still waiting for AF. getting bfn's too (shock) confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »