Talk

Advanced search

Hit me with your Clomid successes and failures

(20 Posts)
Brumbrum05 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:15:44

Hi
My doctor has suggested I try Clomid as my day 21 results are quite low. I'm a bit reluctant after seeing the list of possible side effects so I'm just wondering what people's experiences have been like. Do the side effects only last while you're taking it or for the whole month? And does it actually work???

Rach1384 Sun 17-Mar-19 16:56:08

Hiya my progesterone was low when I was trying to conceive my second child and I was given clomid. First cycle I took it I got pregnant and had a healthy little girl. I’m waiting for my 21 day results tomorrow to see if they’re low still or ok now as we would like to add to our family. My gp didn’t know what my levels should be, did your gp tell you what was good and what was low? I can’t remember what I’m looking for as it was 7 years ago.

Brumbrum05 Sun 17-Mar-19 17:15:05

Apparently it should be 30 or higher. Mine was 25.

MacavityTheDentistsCat Sun 17-Mar-19 17:24:02

I also had low day 21 results, coupled with early ovulation and a short cycle. I had Clomid for around four cycles and then got pregnant in the first month of not taking it (which is apparently not uncommon) . I seem to remember feeling quite bloated from it and emotionally unstable (but the latter may just have been a result of the infertility journey anyway). But it was obviously all worth it in the end.

physicskate Sun 17-Mar-19 18:14:26

Took it for 6 cycles. I was ovulating, with longish, irregular cycles so they said to try it before ivf. It didn't work and caused me to grow a medium sized fibroid, which I'm not mega happy about!!

Ivf has worked for us though.

A result near 30 (but below) might simply indicate the test was taken on the wrong cycle day. Day 21 should always be based on a 28 day cycle, so taken 7 days after ovulation (which, for most, is also 7 days before the start of af).

FreeButtonBee Sun 17-Mar-19 18:17:57

Twins first time! (have PCOS and consultant was v negative about our chances of ever having a baby). I remember I felt really boiling hot that entire month so it definitely got my body rev’ed up

Brumbrum05 Sun 17-Mar-19 19:49:39

Thanks everyone.
I did the day 21 7 days after I got a positive opk. I do tend to ovulate fairly early.
Part of me wants to just try a few more months but part of me thinks I should just bite the bullet and take the pills!

MrsElbadrama Sun 17-Mar-19 19:54:18

I took it for 3 cycles without success and found the side affects too much. I felt like I was going mad, the worst PMT ever, almost bordering on psychological trauma and I couldn't cope with it.

Consultant said it's not usual although certainly doesn't happen regularly to that extreme and offered to switch me to tamoxifen but at that point we decided to take a break.

oooerrmissus Sun 17-Mar-19 19:57:50

I exist because of Clomid!
As do my siblings so yes it can work.

ElephantShrew Sun 17-Mar-19 20:04:32

PCOS here with cycles anywhere between 35 and 100 days. DTs upstairs in bed thanks to clomid, first round. Don't recall any particularly unpleasant side effects at all. SIL also conceived our DN on her 4th round. Good luck x

Anaesthetist83 Sun 17-Mar-19 20:15:00

I am a clomid baby.

I’ve had 3 months of it, and it gave me pretty horrible headaches but certainly worked from an ovulation perspective. Unfortunately it affected my endometrial thickness. Now on 2nd round of letrozole which is supposed to be better from this perspective

cargghhh Sun 17-Mar-19 21:57:52

Currently 8 weeks pregnant on my 3rd month of clomid. Huge PMT and hot sweats while on the pills but only the five days while I was taking them xx

Brumbrum05 Mon 18-Mar-19 08:27:37

Wow! It's nice to hear from some actual Clomid babies!
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

PiratePenguin Mon 18-Mar-19 08:35:57

I have PCOS and conceived using clomid. I was on 50 mg for three cycles - was getting results of 35, 32 and 34 on each of my cycles but was scanned each month and wasn't ovulating. Upped to 100mg for the next three cycles - scans showed I was ovulating and conceived on the third cycle. I had no side effects at all.

Chips4dinneragain Mon 18-Mar-19 16:58:46

Hey OP, I got 26 on my '21' day test and have been advised to repeat to check I had it on the right day. This cycle I did it on CD 20 so next time I will go for CD21. You might also have had it too early, you might not have ovulated for 48hrs after your positive opk, which means your bloods were potentially drawn at 5DPO when levels would still have been rising. Might be worth taking them again at a later point in your cycle?

Rach1384 Mon 18-Mar-19 17:26:07

I got my results today 7 days past ovulation blood test and progesterone was 15.7. Referral back to fertility clinic for me.

Brumbrum05 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:43:37

I'm having another day 21 this month so I might try going a bit later and see if that makes any difference.

Brumbrum05 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:44:30

Rach1384 good luck! Somehow we'll get our bfps!

KitKatCHA Tue 19-Mar-19 08:49:53

I have two DCs who are here thanks to clomid! Also, after dc2 my body was 'reset' somehow and I ended up with DC3 with no intervention whatsoever!

Rach1384 Tue 19-Mar-19 20:30:20

@Brumbrum05 thank you and good luck to you. I’m feeling pretty flat today, doesn’t help that af due fri

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »