Talk

Advanced search

Over 40 - and just got a BFP

(3 Posts)
Piercy Fri 15-Mar-19 12:23:19

I am delighted we’ve had 3 years of misery 2 loses, lost my Dad to cancer, a neighbour making our life horrible- anyway things are coming right and Monday I peed on a stick and got a BFP can’t believe it.

Already got a little boy of six and Wednesday going for my first midwife appointment- and I want to ask questions will they let the pregnancy go to 40 weeks or will they induce early? Will I have extra monitoring due to age?

What else should I be asking??

Gor all the over 40’s - keep believing it does happen xx

HotpotLawyer Fri 15-Mar-19 12:26:46

Huge congratulations!

I had my youngest a few years past 40 - no special or particular monitoring, easy birth, no issues.

If they find issues they will increase monitoring, just as with any pregnancy.

My ante-natal group was full of 40+ yos.

You got pg, you are of childbearing age. Enjoy it!

Megan2018 Fri 15-Mar-19 12:28:58

Congratulations!
it depends I think. If your last pregnancy was straightforward then there isn't going to be much difference unless you have any risk factors like blood pressure or GD.

I'm 40, almost 41 first pg. Have been given aspirin from 12 weeks and my blood pressure is dubious so having some extra checks for that. But otherwise the care plan is the same. I am consultant led though.

I don't think you need to ask anything in particular - the mw will just work through your history and take it from there based on any perceived risks. They are completely not bothered about over 40's IME - they didn't bat an eyelid at me literally!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »