Talk

Advanced search

Only "fertile" days?

(7 Posts)
littlerose13 Sat 09-Mar-19 16:01:56

I've tried looking up about this and looking into different peoples experiences but I'm wondering if anyone knows they became pregnant a while after they were meant to ovulate, like just before your period is meant to start and when you're supposedly not fertile? My boyfriend and I have been having unprotected sex very regularly, so I was wondering if there was any hope in becoming pregnant despite my later time of the cycle. (I tend to have a fairly regular but sometimes long cycle) Thank you! X

cmjwx Sat 09-Mar-19 16:03:16

I got pregnant during a time when I apparently was fertile! And I've always tracked my periods so I think it is possible x

deathbycats Sat 09-Mar-19 16:48:39

It can happen but only if you don't actually ovulate when you were meant to, if that makes sense. An egg is only "good" for 12-24 hours after it's released. No egg, no pregnancy.

mrsdavys Sat 09-Mar-19 18:40:44

Only if you ovulate later than expected

pinkoi Sat 09-Mar-19 19:54:25

I got pregnant with my first, when, on paper I shouldn't have been fertile. Day 8 of a 29/30day cycle then.

I must have had a random week shorter cycle for some reason to make me fertile then!

raindropsinspring Sat 09-Mar-19 20:04:20

An egg is only viable for 12-24 hours and most pregnancies (like 75%) of them are from when you have sex the day before you ovulate.

You might ovulate late in your cycle - I can ovulate anywhere from day 10 to 17 but if you ovulate really late - like less than 10 days before your period is due then the chances of a healthy pregnancy are really low.

Sperm can survive in the right conditions for up to 6 days so it's possible to get pregnant a whole 6 days before you ovulate in what might be classed as your "low fertility" period

Narya Sat 09-Mar-19 20:14:35

I tracked cycle length but didn't temp or use ovulation sticks. My dates with DC1 at my 12 week scan were over a week further along than they 'should' have been based on lmp so something odd must have happened!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »