Advanced search

Do you always ovulate at the same time?

(3 Posts)
WombatStewForTea Fri 08-Mar-19 19:30:28

This is cycle 4 for me.

Cycle 1 I didn't track ovulation
Cycle 2 didn't get a positive but in hindsight was doing it wrong
Cycle 3 I had a OPK on CD16.
This cycle I thought I must have missed it but have today had a OPK on CD19.

I have a very regular 30 day cycle. Is it normal for the day of ovulation to change each cycle?

Haveacupofcoffee Fri 08-Mar-19 22:00:15

You can ovulate on any day in your cycle, but the amount of days between ovulation and your period coming (luteal phase) will always remain the same.

Say you ovulate on day 15 and get your period on day 30 - this means your luteal phase is 15 days.

Next month you ovulate on day 21. Your luteal phase is still 15 days long, so your period will not be due until day 36 (but you’d probably count yourself as being 6 days ‘late’)

Next month you ovulate on day 11 so you’ll get your period on day 26 (and count yourself as being 4 days ‘early’)

A positive opk doesn’t mean ovulation, just that your LH is surging and you should ovulate within the next 48 hours, but it doesn’t mean that you definitely will - your body can get ready to ovulate but then not actually do it, and you can have many of these LH surges per month. The only way to tell if you’ve actually ovulated is to take your bbt and plot it on a chart (I recommend the fertility friend app for this)

raindropsinspring Sat 09-Mar-19 20:12:16

I have a regular 29 day cycle and ovulate anywhere from day 12 to day 17 - my cycle length doesn't change if i ovulate late. I also have follicle tracking done so I know when I ovulate pretty accurately x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »