Talk

Advanced search

The snip seems to 'set in stone'

(8 Posts)
littleleeleanne Tue 05-Mar-19 14:13:39

So I have two beautiful children, DS is 18 months & DD is 6 weeks.. my OH & I have no plans to have any further children HOWEVER him having the snip just seems like everything will be too set in stone if we did change our mind for any reason.

Me and contraception don't seem to go well
The pill - made me gain weight when I did remember to take it
Depo injection - makes me feel like I'm pregnant & I swear is the reason I have pcos
Coil - my body clearly doesn't like them & I've pulled two out
Implant - made me bat shit crazy
Condoms just make me feel like I'm having sex with a bit of plastic, find them incredibly uncomfortable

Any help as to what other people have done?

Kinsters Tue 05-Mar-19 14:16:19

Following with interest. We're hoping for no.1 at the moment but I'm already thinking what contraception to use when the time comes. All the options are so rubbish!

I had the IUD for 7 years but now it's gone I realise how much it affected me.

tisonlymeagain Tue 05-Mar-19 14:25:34

Currently facing this same decision. I don't have any children with my DP but we both have children from previous relationships.

We talked about the snip but neither of us feel ready to close that door completely.

Currently trying to decide whether 40 is too old to have another baby or we should just accept this is it.

I am on the mini pill but want to come off as had no periods in a long time and it makes me feel a bit crap. Depo - I had a bad experience with this years ago which ended in having to have cervical cells removed and generally I just want to avoid hormonal contraception because of migraine issues. I hate condoms, they interrupt everything and take out the spontaneity of sex (and we're quite spontaneous!)

Argh!

Xiaoxiong Tue 05-Mar-19 14:39:50

I feel exactly the same about all those options so for me the Mirena was a godsend. They wouldn't give DH the snip as he was too young so we tried all the others, all other hormonal contraception sent my moods all over the shop but the Mirena has been the answer, I think because it's much lower dose and locally administered, as it were. It was done while combined with a cervical smear test (so I got that out of the way at the same time), wasn't uncomfortable, no effect whatsoever on my moods. After a couple of months of light spotty periods, I have had no periods for years and just get one or two hormonal acne spots on my jawline every 4 weeks or so (I used to get full breakouts every month).

tisonlymeagain Tue 05-Mar-19 14:42:13

I've known two friends to get pregnant on Mirena and one whose had been misplaced and embedded into her womb, so it's put me right off!

littleleeleanne Tue 05-Mar-19 14:43:14

Glad I'm not the only one!
I'm BFing at the moment so am hoping that's working for the time being. Contraception and me just don't seem to work, all those hormones 🥴
My partner & I are spontaneous too so it's important to have something in place but at the moment it seems him having the snip is our only option 🤷🏽‍♀️

littleleeleanne Tue 05-Mar-19 14:45:01

I've pulled two mirenas out 🤢 in my mind that seems the best option but nope!!

Sessy19 Tue 05-Mar-19 18:35:09

Have you considered Natural Cycles?? I was going to use it, but didn’t in the end, but I have a number of friends who, like me, just either can’t tolerate synthetic hormones, or don’t like the idea, they all swear by that app x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »