Talk

Advanced search

HELP!!!! First fertility appointment today

(11 Posts)
Aking1717 Mon 25-Feb-19 09:50:39

Help!! I have my first fertility appointment today and i am so scared! What do i expect? What shall i take? What happens?

i was diagnosed with pcos in 2016 my husband and i have been trying for well over a year now and this was the next step from the doctor. I was given metformin to see if that would help and it hasnt, my husband has had a SA i have had bloods taken again so this is the next step for us and i am petrified!!! I hate not knowing what to expect from the NHS!

SuziQ10 Mon 25-Feb-19 18:06:08

How did it go?
Have no experience / advice, sorry, planning to book an apt myself as been trying for 7months

Emeraldbridge Mon 25-Feb-19 19:03:35

I’m not sure how helpful this will be as I assume you’ve now had your appointment but I’ve been in a similar position TTC with PCOS and the NHS were fantastic. I have a little one now. Feel free to DM if you want any more details!

Pinkroseuk Mon 25-Feb-19 19:10:54

I'm in a similar situation to you and the NHS won't do anything till I have lost weight. Would be interested In hearing the best steps though if you don't mind sharing
Thanks

Emeraldbridge Mon 25-Feb-19 21:27:01

@pinkroseuk, I also got told to lose weight. I ended up losing 10 pounds on a moderate low carb diet. I had a lap and dye procedure to check everything was working. I tried metformin but i didn’t like the side effects, although I know it works for lots of people.

Pinkroseuk Mon 25-Feb-19 21:30:11

Thanks @Emeraldbridge - I have lost 2 stone but have another 2 to go to get BMI under 30 Before they can do anything. I have been offered no advice in weight loss though so finding it tough.
I was on metofrmin years ago and got in with it fine but now I get such bad side effects I just can't take it

physicskate Mon 25-Feb-19 21:51:57

@Pinkroseuk low Glycemic Index tends to work well for losing weight with pcos.

Ohrobin Mon 25-Feb-19 21:54:09

@akin how did it go? I've only just seen this come up! Got my first appointment in 2 weeks too. Hubby SA all normal. I have PCOS and been on metformin for 3 months with no luck yet. Feeling more positive knowing I have this fertility appointment coming up though!

Emeraldbridge Mon 25-Feb-19 22:00:25

Wow you’ve done so well to get that 2 stone! My BMI was over 30 when I fell pregnant so it’s possible and I hope it happens for you. It is tough losing weight though isn’t it?! Have you noticed any improvements in your cycles since your weight loss?

Pinkroseuk Tue 26-Feb-19 06:40:44

Thanks @physicskate.
@Emeraldbridge yeah it's hard keeping up the exercise when I'm busy with work etc. I came off contraception two years ago and my periods have not returned yet so it's hard to tell. I feel like I have more energy though so that's a good sign

Aking1717 Wed 13-Mar-19 16:48:02

Had my appointment all went well, she done my height and weight and said i could lose a little but dont need to lose lots! that was great for my self esteam haha! she has put me in for tests so 3 lots of blood tests and also an ultrasound i have done 2 lots of the blood tests just waiting for my 21 day blood test to be done now and waiting for the ultrasound appointment to come through.She also done a couple of swab tests, basically like a smear. That was fie there was no pain during but after i had such bad cramping for like 48 hours after!

She talked about putting me on Clomid now i have just read up on this and it sound daunting! but we will just have to wait and see. Anyone have any experiance with the Clomid?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »