Talk

Advanced search

3 positive pregnancy tests and one negative - Pregnant?

(10 Posts)
mkmo Fri 22-Feb-19 20:25:25

I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is very confused by pregnancy tests and has come to me for guidance. She took 3 ASDA cheap tests which all gave a (faint) positive result. She then took a clear blue test which claimed she was not pregnant. She took the 3 ASDA consecutively from the same batch in the morning and the clear blue later that same day.
She is not ready for a baby and is convinced by the clear blue because that's what she wants to hear and is not planning on taking another pregnancy test as the cheap ASDA ones must be wrong. Is this the case?
Which is more likely to be the correct result?

The friend has had the implant for the past year and claims to have used a condom (can't confirm this though)

mkmo Fri 22-Feb-19 21:15:40

any advice would be really appreciated. Has anyone had a false result before?

AllThreeWays Fri 22-Feb-19 21:17:14

As far as I am aware, you can get false negatives but not false positives

mkmo Fri 22-Feb-19 21:57:33

I've heard ASDA false positives are a thing due to a faulty batch giving 2 test strips.

Has anyone had a false negative with clear blue? I am very concerned for friend she is very very young and naive.

BaileyD222 Fri 22-Feb-19 23:43:00

Clear Blue are quite well known for false negatives as far as I've heard, they're the biggest most known pt brand but I personally think they're shite - tell her she needs to avoid the blue dye test and get a first response rapid result or first response early result, they're the best. Keep us updated!

WombOfHerOwn Fri 22-Feb-19 23:46:33

Much more likely to be a false negative than 3 false positives. She needs to do another test in a few days time.

Secretlifeofme Fri 22-Feb-19 23:48:25

Clear blue also isn't very sensitive, so if she took it later in the day it will have given a false negative. False Positives as a PP said are almost impossible.

mariethecat Fri 22-Feb-19 23:54:48

She needs to read the instructions on the tests - they pick up different level of pregnancy hormone hcg - clearblue digitals have a much higher threshold (could be as much as nearly double) than non digital do so yes she is most likely pregnant

mkmo Wed 27-Feb-19 00:49:35

Thanks all for your responses!

My friend has been to the doctor and she is not pregnant.

That means that the ASDA tests gave her a false positive three times! I know false positives are really rare and this was possibly a faulty batch but this is definitely something to look out for

WombOfHerOwn Thu 28-Feb-19 19:25:37

It could have been a chemical pregnancy and the levels of hormone dropped quickly. Three false positives is so incredibly rare. If she really believes that is the case contacting the maufacturer would be worthwhile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »