Talk

Advanced search

Short luteal phase

(15 Posts)
bunhead34 Tue 19-Feb-19 21:33:01

Thought I'd start a thread for those with short luteal phase and ttc.

TTC for 9 months. Had a scan - all normal, blood tests -normal.

I'm convinced it's my luteal phase, this month I had some spotting (coloured discharge, does that count as spotting?) at 5dpo, then nothing for 4 days, then 2 days spotting then AF ( which only lasts 2 days).

I suppose I just wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar experience....?

Bigonesmallone3 Tue 19-Feb-19 21:40:05

My sister is absolutely certain that she has fallen pregnant with both her dc within a week of her period ending..

DrPimplePopper Tue 19-Feb-19 21:59:14

I have very short cycles and with my first had spotting 6 and 7dpo. I assume now that must have been implantation bleeding, though at the time I just thought it was a weird, short period - I was clueless even though was ttc! Fingers crossed for you.

spugzbunny Tue 19-Feb-19 22:02:59

Vitamin B6 can lengthen a short luteal stage.

Can you temp? This can confirm ovulation and then you can tell from there when your period starts. I believe any spotting before your period (without a gap) is still day one of your period. For example I (pre baby) used to spot for a day, flood like niagra for 6 then spot for a day or so.

welshsoph Tue 19-Feb-19 22:05:00

I was convinced I had a short luteal phase and I went through a period of very short cycles (shortest one being 21 days) GP wasn’t convinced and was unwilling to look further into it as it’s not recognised by the NHS as a condition.
I found taking vitamin B6 helped regulate my cycles and we successfully conceived within 3 months after struggling for the previous 9

MrFlibblesEyes Wed 20-Feb-19 05:47:51

I always spot from about cd24, so around 9dpo and sometimes even have ovulation spotting and the odd bit throughout my whole luteal phase. I also have extremely light periods which last a maximum of 3 days so was convinced there no hope. Currently 5+4 so although early days it seems to be going well so far. I think I implanted quite early though as when I tested at 14dpo the test line was as dark as the control line! I think it's just luck of the draw, so if you implant in the first few possible days you should be ok. Good luck x

bunhead34 Wed 20-Feb-19 08:21:32

Thanks ladies, good to know there is hope!

I've already had a scan and blood tests which both say I am ovulating 🤷🏼‍♀️
Also using opk, conceive plus, B6, and accupuncture!

Sageadvice21 Wed 20-Feb-19 16:35:26

Hi OP,

I had a 13 day lp while TTC DC1, which then shortened to 11 days after coming off contraception to TTC DC2, and have had no issues, positive test at 11dpo, it does happen!

mistermagpie Wed 20-Feb-19 16:52:05

I've had two babies with a 10 day lp. My gp looked at me like I was a bit silly when I mentioned it and didn't seem to think it was a concern, which ultimately I suppose it wasn't. I don't really think it's as big a problem as the internet suggests.

Newbie21 Wed 20-Feb-19 18:03:53

I thought I had a decent length luteal phase as I was counting CD 1 from first day of normal bleed but since my MCS I have brown blood spotting for about 3 days before AF properly starts so should I be counting from the first day of spotting? I've been concerned about the brown spotting. I haven't had tests other than thyroid and that was normal and I do ovulate.

@bunhead34 do you usually have spotting? If you have a proper period now then it could possibly have been a CP just didn't quite implant for whatever reason. If your period is a lot less than normal maybe it was implantation bleeding. Have you done a test?

I'm giving it another month then I'm going to ask my doctor about the spotting to see if I need to think about supplements or something.

bunhead34 Wed 20-Feb-19 19:36:46

@Newbie21 I start counting from the
1st day of bright red blood - my dr told me that's correct!

I've had brown spotting since I came off the pill in June last year. Def not pg, I've done plenty of tests!

Vit B6 has really reduced the amount of spotting I get - maybe worth a try for you too!

Newbie21 Fri 22-Feb-19 17:59:22

@bunhead34 I think i will start taking Vitb6 if it carries on. I hope you fall pg very soon. I don't think the spotting is anything to worry about but I think it's worth bringing up with the doctor. I think I will do the same.

goldflakepaint Sat 23-Feb-19 11:03:29

Hi all. Can I join? Part of the short luteal phase gang (I have moaned about it on mumsnet before) although recently it has lengthened to a nice average 13 days. However, spotting before af is still there although last cycle that started at 10dpo rather than 7-8dpo which was the average before. Currently on 9dpo and no spotting yet so we'll see. What I think may have helped in last two cycles or what I did differently was-

- Going to a herbalist- she was fantastic, careful to say that pre-af spotting may not be an issue at all but is focusing on optimising my cycle and taking a more holistic approach. She gave me a bespoke blend of herbs for hormone imbalance (including Vitex and Peony), supporting the nervous system and managing stress. Remains to be seen if it will help me get pregnant but I already feel better in other ways and she told me yesterday that two of the people she has worked with have gotten pregnant this week! So I would recommend trying but make sure you see someone who is qualified.
- Seed cycling- basically eating certain seeds pre and post ovulation to support estrogen and progesterone.
- Quarter teaspoon of fresh royal jelly each morning as recommended by herbalist for egg quality- it tricks you into thinking it doesn't taste too bad but the aftertaste is disgusting. I always quickly follow it up with herbs and seeds to get rid of the taste.
- Added vitamin D alongside prenatal vit on advice of herbalist.
- Started meditating to a Circle and Bloom program for fertility every night- you have to pay for it but it's really good, helps me relax before bed and the visualisations take you through each stage of your cycle (optimistically- you visualise a fertilised egg, implantation etc).

Aside from the changes in my cycle (I've also started ovulating a bit earlier), I'm feeling mentally better, thinking more clearly, sleep has improved and less pms symptoms last cycle.

Good luck to everyone, its frustrating that a short luteal phase is not recognised by the NHS but things can be done- plus lots of people do get pregnant with a short luteal phase!

bunhead34 Sat 23-Feb-19 18:19:55

Hi @goldflakepaint thanks that's really interesting! What cycle are you on?

I just had blood test back and progesterone was quite high -so it's not that!

goldflakepaint Sun 24-Feb-19 23:23:58

@bunhead34 10dpo, cycle 12. Would normally have spotting by now and I think that I saw some on toilet paper twice today but so faint I'm not sure. Will have to see what happens tomorrow, spotting is usually pretty clear by then. Not feeling too hopeful, really. But spotting has definitely moved back a bit and got lighter since taking herbs. I guess that's something.

Good news about the progesterone. I got the same results (although it was more like 5dpo rather than 7dpo so may see if they will repeat when we go back for further fertility testing if not pregnant this cycle) so it's been assumed that is not the issue. But the spotting is coming from somewhere, surely. Have you had an ultrasound scan? Mine showed a small fibroid which could possibly be the source (although unlikely due to size and position)- I'm waiting for a hysteroscopy so that they can get a better look. Otherwise, it'll be seen as just a 'hormonal imbalance'- very vague.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »