Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Egg Donation

(11 Posts)
Muno Tue 03-Jul-07 09:52:34

This is a difficult message to write - and I may be on the wrong discussion board, I don't know, just need to start somewhere.

My husband and I have been told our only hope for a baby of our own is through egg donation and ICSI. The waiting list for egg donors is very long as we are asking a great deal from someone. I am amazed and heartened that there are these exceptional and generous women out there at all.

We are on the waiting list at a private clinic. The problem is that I am negative for the cytolomegavirus - not a virus most people ever think of and it has no symptons, but most of the population is positive. I have to have a negative donor and they are very hard to find in what is already a tiny group.

We remain full of hope and know we have so much love and happiness to give a little one, but I feel I need to do something.

So I just wondered if anyone out there - or anyone knows anyone - who might be prepared to consider donation and who might also be negative for the cytolomegavirus?

With many thanks and lots of love and luck for you all.

Muno xxxx

Feedmenow Tue 03-Jul-07 12:55:17

Muno, what is cytolomegavirus? I mean, would a person definately know if they were negative or is it something you would only know about for specific reasons?

madcows Tue 03-Jul-07 20:17:06

Dear Muno,
Really sorry to hear about your situation. I am also learning about egg donation at the moment, but from the other side. I am in the process of preparing to be an egg donor for my sister.
Re CMV (we haven't had our tests yet, so don't know our results)... I believe (but could be wrong!) that using a positive donor is only a problem if the CMV is active. There is quite a lot about it on the fertilityfriends website - there is a whole section for people involved in donation. It has also become apparent to me fro mthat website that many people go overseas because of the shortage of donors over here.
I hope this helps - and all teh very best of luck with it.
mcx

expatinscotland Tue 03-Jul-07 20:20:18

Have you tried looking abroad?

3andnomore Tue 03-Jul-07 20:29:25

wikipeadia on cytomegalovirus
Might give people more of an idea what it is, etc....!

I would love to do egg donation, but would never be considered as I have a bilateral cleft lip and palate....hohum

newlifenewname Tue 03-Jul-07 20:32:12

So, does this mean that if you have suffered from glandular fever, chicken pox, herpes, etc. you'd be positive?

Impatience Tue 03-Jul-07 22:17:06

so does this mean if you catch chicken pox now you'd then be in the (larger) positive group? Sounds like a plan!

Impatience Tue 03-Jul-07 22:17:58

ps, really good luck. Post sounded flippant - didn't mean to be at all. I hope this works out, and hopefully without making yourself itch

onlyjoking Tue 03-Jul-07 22:20:28

best of luck, i am too old now to donate thou i did do it 9 years ago which resulted in a couple having a baby girl.

duchesse Wed 04-Jul-07 10:07:17

That sounds like a plan, Impy. Catching chicken pox as a grown up isn't (wasn't! got it at 14) much fun, but would it be worth it? If it were me, I would think that would be a good option.

Muno Thu 05-Jul-07 12:44:23

Thank you all for your kind comments. I am straight off to look at fertilityfriends, thank you.

I didn ask the clinic how I could get the virus and they were really quite shocked

madcows and onlyjoking - I hope people around you remember to keep telling you what amazing women you are!!

Munoxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now