Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How soon after coming off the pill can you conceive?

(12 Posts)
luchinka Mon 25-Jun-07 14:15:55

I went on the pill for just two months to avoid having a period on my wedding day. I finished the packet and had a withdrawal bleed which finshed about a week ago. Is it possible to get pregnant immeadiately or will nothing happen til I've had a non pill period? We're sort half trying in a "let's see what happens" kind of way.

Treenie Mon 25-Jun-07 14:22:57

Hi Luckinka
I've just come off the pill and am trying. I started another thread about this about three weeks ago. Scroll down and you should be able to find it. To my knowlegde you can get pregnant straight away. And I would think that considering you only went on the pill for two months it shouldn't have messed up your cycle too much. It's really hard to say what you as an individual will experience, but it definitely is possible.
Good luck!
x

luchinka Mon 25-Jun-07 14:30:36

so, if the pill hadn't confused your body too much you would be fertile at the point in your cycle when you would normally be? I have really quite long cycles normally anyway..35+ days. I suppose it's just a matter of trying and waiting to see what happens

Wilbur Mon 25-Jun-07 14:31:49

I was on the pill briefly when I first got married. I came off it in preparation to try and start a family, thinking it would take a few months. I finished the packet and conceived ds1 about 14 days later....

Wilbur Mon 25-Jun-07 14:33:52

Ideally though, I think the health gurus recommend being off the pill for longer than that before conceiving. Just to make sure your body is clear of any hormones and in tip top condition.

luchinka Mon 25-Jun-07 14:36:24

although if you do get pregnant straight away, i.e before you've had a "true" period it's not a problem, is it?

Treenie Mon 25-Jun-07 14:37:30

Get yourself some ovulation tests from boots - just like preggy tests in that you widdle on a stick but they tell you when you are ovulating. If you have usually got a longer cycle then maybe start testing around day 14 - you should get a positive result eventually. The cost about £15 for seven sticks I think but well worth it if you want to know exaclty what is going on. Have a look at babyhopes.com for more info.
Hope that helps.
x

goingfor3 Mon 25-Jun-07 14:38:12

The first time I got pregnant I was on the pill so if it can happen the it can happen straight after stopping.

Treenie Mon 25-Jun-07 14:38:58

And no it isn't a prob from what I can gather. Have done loads of research and they only say you have to wait so they can get a better idea of dates - should do your baby no harm at all. Especially since you were only on it for two months. Don't think you have anything to worry about.
x

jinxed Mon 25-Jun-07 14:39:03

i finished my pill on xmas day and was pregnant by 17th jan with DD2.

finished pill in january and fell in february with the one I am expecting now.

HTH

scoobydoo33 Tue 26-Jun-07 12:55:27

Hi Luchinka, just wanted to advise that I came off the pill on the 31st December, after being on it for about 10 years or so, wasn't even trying to conceive, had pill period on the 6th Jan and through the dating scan conceived on the 18th Jan! So hopefully that's encouraging for you...x

MadMumsy Tue 26-Jun-07 13:13:49

I fell for my eldest daughter while I was on the pill and my other daughter while I had a coil!!! I won't tell you what I told the Family Planning Woman....................

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now