Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Very Confused! TTC & 3 days late but BFN

(13 Posts)
Coolkitten3003 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:00:58

Hello all,
I'm a first time poster but spent a few months reading threads and been too nervous to post! blush

I've got to the point where I need your thoughts. We've been TTC since Nov 2017. Long story short, I have a bang on time 28-29 day cycle & usually ovulate on day 15ish. In June, it finally happened for us & I got my first BFP but I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks. My last cycle was right on time for 29 days & the TTC started again. This month, I noticed I ovulated on day 22 & assumed it was too late to conceive. AF was due a few days ago & I'm now 3 days (into my 4th day) late. I've taken a couple of pregnancy tests which are all BFN.

So ladies, I was wondering... Is there still a chance I could be pregnant this month? Or should I just put it down to an abnormally long cycle? I'm thinking of tests again in 2-3 days time when I'll be 14 DPO... Has anyone else had negatives in the first week AF was due and gone on to get a BFP?

Thank you for reading my post. Baby dust to all xxx

TokenGinger Sat 11-Aug-18 17:15:14

I’m new to this so I may be wrong, but if you ovulated a week late, wouldn’t that mean your period would be a week late, too?

physicskate Sat 11-Aug-18 17:17:53

@TokenGinger agreed. You technically aren't late as the time between ov and the start of af generally is about the same... so if you ovulate a week later than you usually do, af should be a week later than normal too.

Coolkitten3003 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:21:33

Thank you for the replies smile

I've read a couple of different things online which suggested that late ovulation just meant the egg wouldn't have time to implant & AF would be as normal.

Hmm... I guess I'll wait until 14dpo to test again. TTC is quite the rollercoaster ride!

physicskate Sat 11-Aug-18 20:42:21

Nope @Coolkitten3003! You can get pregnant any time you ovulate. Taking big charge of your fertility is a recommended read.

Darkstar4855 Sun 12-Aug-18 00:53:33

On the cycle I ovulated late, AF also came late by the same amount of time. However if you are only 10/11dpo now it might just be too early for a positive test so I would say you’re not out yet. I think your plan to retest at 14dpo if no AF by then is a good suggestion. Good luck!

Coolkitten3003 Sun 12-Aug-18 15:10:30

Thank you @physicskate - I will take a look!

Thank you @Darkstar4855 - in June my BFP came when I was 1 day late (15dpo) so I'll wait a couple more days & retest. smile

physicskate Sun 12-Aug-18 17:36:26

Just reread my post - it's 'taking charge of your fertility'!! Sorry for the typo!

Coolkitten3003 Tue 14-Aug-18 20:06:03

Just wanted to bring this thread to a close incase anyone is searching. You ladies were indeed correct sad AF arrived 14dpo. That's me out this month. Starting to think it won't happen for us sad

physicskate Tue 14-Aug-18 20:34:21

It's very very common for it to take a year or more. You just don't hear about how long it actually takes people. It took me over two years and a round of ivf...

Coolkitten3003 Tue 14-Aug-18 20:43:58

Thanks for the reply @physicskate . I understand I'm being impatient, it sounds like you've been on quite a journey. It's just so frustrating that you grow up being told how easy it is to get pregnant when in reality, it's not so straight forward sad

Darkstar4855 Tue 14-Aug-18 22:13:06

It’s really hard, it was only eight months for me but it felt like forever. I didn’t mind waiting but it was the fear that it might never happen that was really hard. Good luck for your next cycle.

physicskate Wed 15-Aug-18 09:30:02

Yup @Coolkitten3003. I blame education... but the fact is, you are more likely to get pregnant from having sex once at 16 than at 30 (provided both around ov) because of egg quality. I totally get the frustration around the message to wait until career is established, house bought, etc...

But the last time we all had sex Ed was before adulthood. Infertility was never discussed because teenagers think they're invincible and take more risks... we don't want to put ideals in their heads that 10% will struggle to conceive and then they take risks, believing they're that 10%.

Believe me, I've spent a long time thinking about this and how it makes it shitter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: