Talk

Advanced search

Bad luck buying bits before pregnant ?

(14 Posts)
ReginaPhalange89 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:11:19

What do you think? I'm not talking baby items , I'm talking maternity clothes . I've seen some things on sale and wondered if it was worth buying now while it's cheap !

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sat 11-Aug-18 14:25:05

If you aren't pregnant yet I wouldn't, not because I'm superstitious but because you don't need them generally until well after 12 weeks in your first pregnancy, and if you miscarry or have any trouble getting pregnant it can be quite painful to have maternity or baby things around. Also you won't know what season(s) you end up needing maternity stuff for yet. There will always be stuff on sale, there's nothing special about now.

ReginaPhalange89 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:37:46

I should have said, it'll be my 3rd! With my second I was in my maternity jeans quite early ! Also conceived quickly with both so don't expect it'll take too long this time either (I know it's not guaranteed) .

I wouldn't buy any seasonal bits it was just jeans really that I'd seen so they can be worn any time of year

TrippingTheVelvet Sat 11-Aug-18 14:44:39

Depends how heartbroken you'd be if you have to chuck them without getting to use them...

Pissedoffdotcom Sat 11-Aug-18 14:47:02

Just had my third, i started buying really early as i found i needed them earlier. I'm not superstitious tho; we had our pram bought & in the flat by 8 weeks as we saw a 2nd hand one that was perfect.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sat 11-Aug-18 15:00:38

Oh well, if it's your 3rd you already know the territory and can suit yourself!

YerAuntFanny Sat 11-Aug-18 15:11:31

I don't think it's bad luck but I wouldn't buy until you need, stuff can be bought pretty cheap second hand on facebook/ebay if and when you need it otherwise it's a bit of a false economy really given that there are no guarantees.

sourpatchkid Sat 11-Aug-18 15:37:21

Not bad luck so much but I bought a dress I thought would double as being a good maternity dress. I never wore it as by the time I actually managed to conceive 4 years later it was out of fashion ...

Darkstar4855 Sun 12-Aug-18 00:58:04

I don’t think it’s bad luck - I bought a maternity dress before I got pregnant not for practical reasons but to help me think positive as I was starting to despair that it would ever happen! It was a nice feeling when I finally got to wear it.

LifeOfRiley63 Mon 13-Aug-18 16:57:29

ReginaPhalange89 I'm guilty of this. We've been TTC 10 months and once we decided "Yes, let's TTC" I bought a fair chunk of stuff. Aldi had a baby event on so loads of cute little things (no clothes) but practical stuff that won't go off or will come in handy. I also have boxes of nappies hidden around the house to spread the cost when we finally do get our BFP.

Patienceofatoddler Mon 13-Aug-18 17:00:15

I conceived 1 and 2 in 2 cycles.

Number 3 took nearly a year of tears and a MC.

Personally I would wait - I've only bought new maternity clothes in the last week blush

ReginaPhalange89 Mon 13-Aug-18 18:07:38

Sorry to hear that @patienceofatoddler!

That gives me the fear ! My first was unplanned and second conceived first month, so obviously feel optimistic it'll happen quickly again but it's not always the case ! A close friend of mine was the same, mc after 2 healthy, quick pregnancies and then took a while to conceive. I know I'm lucky to have caught quickly before but fingers crossed it's ok again this time !

Patienceofatoddler Mon 13-Aug-18 18:29:54

@ReginaPhalange89 it was a huge shock to us and mentally nearly broke me we just didn't see it coming and as often as people say 'it's normal'.

Should have added we are now 18w but it certainly was a big eye opener for me.

I know realistically what you but doesn't have anything to do with conception success but personally for me I just couldn't blush

ReginaPhalange89 Mon 13-Aug-18 18:33:21

@patienceofatoddler yeah I can imagine it would be a shocked ! I'm trying not to get my hopes up just in case but it's hard not to think about it. So impatient already and we aren't even starting TTC til next month 🙈

Yeah I'm going to hold off buying anything . I can't stop googling baby names and different things like prams, cribs etc. Getting so ahead of myself !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: