Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about LH tests

(8 Posts)
IsTheRainEverComingBack Thu 09-Aug-18 08:44:17

I’ve been tracking my fertility for a few months gearing up to TTC next year. I seem to have a fairly short cycle (not sure what this means yet?) but I’ve been doing LH tests around when the app thinks I’ll ovulate but have yet to get a positive.
Any suggestions? Should I be doing several a day? The app only suggests once. I also have some bladder problems that mean I urinate A LOT, I wonder if the wee essentially just isn’t in my bladder long enough to pick up the hormones, could this be a thing?

Thanks

8DaysAWeek Thu 09-Aug-18 09:30:48

I would do it twice a day when you think you'll ovulate. Around 2pm and 8pm. They do recommend at least a 3-4 hour urine hold. Start testing a few days before and keep testing for a few days after. The apps assume a 14 day luteal phase which is average but not for everyone. Mine is only 12 days for example. So you may be testing too early

physicskate Thu 09-Aug-18 09:38:10

I'd suggest you start opks and do them twice daily from 17 days before your period due until you get a positive. So not just one day and not just when an app tells you too (an app is no t plugged into YOUR body).

IsTheRainEverComingBack Thu 09-Aug-18 12:50:03

Isn’t an OPK and an LH test the same thing? confused little strip in wee?

I am doing them before, over and after when the app things I’m ovulating with no luck. There’s no way I could go 3-4 hours without going for a wee though, 2 would be the max and that would be unusual. Maybe that’s the problem.

juneybean Thu 09-Aug-18 12:59:58

The strip ones are notoriously bad for catching the surge, have you looked at the electronic ones that you do once a day? Bit more expensive but gives you a clear answer.

IsTheRainEverComingBack Thu 09-Aug-18 13:19:26

Ah that’s annoying. I haven’t but probably will when we’re actually TTC. At the moment I’m just trying to get a grip on my cycle after years of hormonal contraceptives

physicskate Thu 09-Aug-18 21:25:01

Bbt tracking will avoid the whole frequent weeing thing.

Lh stands for lutenising hormone and that is the hormone that surges 12-72 hours before ovulation and thus 'predicts' ovulation. Hence ovulation prediction kit (opk).

IsTheRainEverComingBack Sat 11-Aug-18 11:09:56

Yeh I’m using Natural Cycles so taking temp daily. But I seem to fluctuate more than normal so it’s only managed to catch my ovulation once in 4 months, hence taking LT tests at the same time. LT and OPKs the same then, I wasn’t wrong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: