Talk

Advanced search

TTC 1st baby late 30s

(22 Posts)
Pambo81 Mon 11-Jun-18 10:33:08

Hi ladies
I know there's a group for over 40s but couldn't find anything for those of us over 35 - anyone want to join in and help each other out? I'm pretty clueless and could do with some friends to talk to in the same situation
I'm 36, cycle 3 day 48

Korona Mon 11-Jun-18 12:02:11

Hi @Pambo81 I'll join you!

I'm 39, TTC#1 and also on cycle 3, cd19. I started using OPKs in cycle 2 and starting taking temps this cycle. I'm still pretty clueless about what my body is doing! smile

WaitingforDaffodils Mon 11-Jun-18 13:03:02

hi @Pambo81 and @Korona,

I'm 37 and TTC#1...only just started trying (but think we DTD too late for sperm to meet egg this month!) so next month will be our first proper attempt.

I'm using Ovia and Flo and got a Clearblue fertility monitor secondhand on eBay for £25 so hoping that will take some of the guess work out of it all.

So excited and also shitting myself nervous in case it turns out we have trouble conceiving. Happy to have some older TTCers to chatter to! smile

Pambo81 Mon 11-Jun-18 15:39:13

Hi @Korona and @waitingfordaffodils thanks for joining me! smile
@Korona I've not yet used 0pks but got some and think I'll start today as maybe I've missed a period. I'm also trying to take temps but I keep forgetting I'm so tired in the mornings! Good luck for this cycle!

@waitingfordaffodils good luck! It's exciting first starting out! What are the monitors like? Do they do much more than the apps? I'm tempted now you've mentioned eBay!

It's crazy how you think you know your body until you try to conceive then it's like woah what's going on?!

WaitingforDaffodils Mon 11-Jun-18 16:03:58

@Pambo81 they say it increases the chances by 89% - it's a combination of an app (the monitor) and OPKs. So it tells you when to use one of their pee sticks (which are a bit expensive!) and you insert it into the monitor and it measures two sets of hormones. Lots of folks swear by them and I figure that if I know at least that I am ovulating and when then if it's taking a while we can start working out why!

You're good to do temps - that's meant to be the best way but I am too lazy! [grins]

OK, off to hunt down some Poundland pregnancy tests (they're meant to be really effective - who knew!).

All this does make me laugh when I think of all the years I was terrified of accidentally getting pregnant...hahaha.

Oxted2018 Mon 11-Jun-18 16:11:08

Hello @Pambo81, @WaitingForDaffodils and @Korona

Can I join too? I have just signed up to this site. I am 37 next month and have just started TTC #1. This is month number 2 although think I got my dates wrong last month - I was relying on the date calculated by the NaturalCycles app but I wasn't very good with taking my temperature and now think it was a week out!

WaitingforDaffodils Mon 11-Jun-18 16:17:33

@Oxted2018 welcome! flowers It's lovely to have other women the same age to chatter to about this.

I don't know about you guys, but I haven't told anyone so it's a relief to be able to talk somewhere!

Oxted2018 Mon 11-Jun-18 16:26:33

It really is. We have only just started trying but I can see how easy it must be to get quite obsessed with it all. I have started using the ClearBlue OPKs to try and figure out if/when I ovulate and they become quite addictive quickly!

Sorry - being really thick. What are Ovia and Flo? Are they apps?

Until recently I just had no idea how small the window is for getting pregnant! It is a whole new world!

WaitingforDaffodils Mon 11-Jun-18 16:37:39

@Oxted2018 - yes, both are apps. They both have symptoms you can fill in and track daily. I think without OPK results they're a bit hit and miss but helpful to get a little look at what your cycle is like.

And yes, I am already being utterly batshit a bit OTT and we've only been trying for a week grin hoping I'll naturally calm down soon!

Korona Mon 11-Jun-18 17:30:43

It's so nice to chat to other people on here who are a similar age and are in the same position as me!

I haven't used Ovia but use the Flo app and the Fertility Friend app, which is really good. In the first month we just carried on dtd as normal, the 2nd month I introduced OPKs and this month I've been taking my BBT. My temps indicate ovulation on cd13 this cycle but I've had no other symptoms, such as EWCM or positive OPKs, though I did have excruciating pain around that time which must've been ovulation pain (not something I usually experience). Guess it's going to take a few cycles to get a rough idea of what my body is doing these days!

I might look into the clear blue monitor - thanks for the tip.

Pambo81 Mon 11-Jun-18 22:40:03

Hi @Oxted2018! I'm obsessed with it all too already - feel like I'm on my ovia app a million times a day trying to make sense of my crazy cycles.

Yeah it's nice to have you lot to talk to - my other half is supportive but he just doesn't get when I'm worrying about things like when my periods not arrived but not pregnant.

Bought some 0pks today. Do I really have to wait 4 hours before I wee?! Or do they work fine anyway?

Oxted2018 Tue 12-Jun-18 13:10:18

@Pambo81 I think you can do them after less time - I have been doing anyway but then I don't really know what I'm doing!!
But then it is very easy to fall into the trap of doing them a few times a day. I got the clearblue ones because I like the smiley faces but it gets expensive quickly!

I got a peak fertility smiley face last week but it seemed early for me so I kept testing and then got another one yesterday so don't know whether last week's was a failed attempt at ovulation?! Or whether the tests aren't that accurate. Or maybe I just ovulate a lot!!

Following your recommendations, I've just downloaded the Ovia app and it seems very good - better than Natural Cycles which I have been half heartedly using. There is far more scope for recording various details and observations on this so will give this a go.

Blondcat Tue 12-Jun-18 19:16:38

Hello ladies. I just wanted to invite you to join the group as you said you couldn't find another thread about 35+ ttcr's. We are a lovely group of ladies some of us have been on the thread a while and are at various stages myself having gotten my bfp in March after 7 months ttc only to miscarry in April at 6 weeks. Just in the tww now on second cycle after mc. A few have recently got their bfp's. Hope you will come and join us.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/3062936-35-TTC-1-thread-2

TheNewbieStep Tue 12-Jun-18 23:29:49

Can I join too please ladies? I’m 38 TTC #1 - been TTC 12 months. MC last Oct and not a whiff since. Need some vibes 😊

WaitingforDaffodils Tue 12-Jun-18 23:53:34

Hi @Blondcat - I'm sorry to hear of your loss and wishing you all good things for this TWW flowers Thanks for letting us know about the thread - I'll pop over now and introduce myself.

Hi @TheNewbieStep - welcome and sending good vibes to you! star

Pambo81 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:17:47

Hi @Blondcat
Thanks for telling us about the thread - I'll be over later and I'll close this one when I figure our how.
Sorry though - I really didn't know yours existed and wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes

Blondcat Wed 13-Jun-18 08:23:35

@pambo81 I wasn't suggesting to close your post but just thought you may like to join us as more ladies to chat to as already established. No toe stepping involved x

TheNewbieStep Thu 14-Jun-18 11:00:06

Right then according to my little clearblue computer thingy - today is the day to crack on. Everything crossed for this month (apart from the obvious!) x

Also - I seem to be recommended an endless amount of vitamins and supplements. I have folic Acid, Inositol, Niquitin Q10, Vit E, Vit D3..... I literally rattle!

Whats everyone else on?

TheNewbieStep Thu 14-Jun-18 11:51:34

@Pambo81

Made me smile.... all those years of trying to NOT get pregnant! I hear you! smile

I use the clearblue monitor... seems to be the best!

TheNewbieStep Thu 14-Jun-18 11:52:49

Sorry! The above post was in reply to @WaitingforDaffodils

WaitingforDaffodils Thu 14-Jun-18 14:28:17

@thenewbiestep I know! I was so, so careful for years 😂. Let me know how you get on with the monitor. I'll start my first cycle with AF this weekend. I also discovered the Countdown to Pregnancy site that has loads of helpful calculators for the obsessed like myself!

TheNewbieStep Fri 15-Jun-18 08:12:18

@WaitingforDaffodils
I've been using the monitor (I got it on eBay, and buy the sticks when they are 3for2 in Boots!) since last October.

Works for me as I ovulate anywhere from day 12 to 16!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: