Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

When to test if my period hasn't returned after giving birth?

(9 Posts)
GimbleInTheWabe Mon 23-Apr-18 16:24:24

So DP and I had unprotected sex last week and now I'm worried I might be pregnant.

Our DS is only just 6mo so to say it wouldn't be the best time is an understatement! I have a clear blue test but the problem is I don't know when to test as my period hasn't come back yet (I'm EBF).

It's my friends hen do this weekend which will be pretty boozy but obviously if i am pregnant then I wouldn't drink so I'd rather know beforehand. If I tested on Friday (approx 2 weeks after DTD) would that be a reliable result?

Thanks in advance and yes, I know: we're idiots.

TwittleBee Mon 23-Apr-18 16:30:57

Well I guess, so sperm can live for up to 7 days so lets say you ovulate on their last day of survival and then on top of that the average luteal phase is 14-16 days so lets take 16 days. So I would say test 23 days after you DTD. If your period hasn't come back though there is a very good chance that you have nothing to worry about smile

GimbleInTheWabe Mon 23-Apr-18 16:43:04

Thanks @TwittleBee. So do you think if I test on Friday it could possibly be a false negative? There's not much available online about this!

PinkbicyclesinBerlin Mon 23-Apr-18 16:45:54

It is probably unlikely, have you noticed any signs of ovulation. My first ovulation was 14 months after I started BF last time. Obviously no guarantee but I would just do the test and remind yourself it is very unlikely.

TwittleBee Mon 23-Apr-18 16:52:24

GimbleInTheWabe there is a chance it could be a false negative, even with a FRER or some other low MIU test, it might not pick up a positive if you ovulated a few days after you DTD.

As PinkbicyclesinBerlin said, it really is unlikely. It could be that you have DTD in the fertile window for your first post birth ovulation (which probably hasn't happened yet if your EBF and only 6 months post birth)... but even if you did manage to hit that exact window the sperm and egg then need to meet and it needs to be a sticky one too etc etc, so many factors!

GimbleInTheWabe Mon 23-Apr-18 17:12:10

Thanks everyone - feeling much better about it now! I'm still going to test just to make sure but probably assume I'm not pregnant better dig out the rubbers.

Mumlife101 Mon 23-Apr-18 22:31:00

My period came back when DC was about 7 months old & EBF, so it isn't impossible but it is extremely unlucky unlikely! (I actually worked out we DTD the day before O on my first cycle (unprotected, idiots) so we were lucky it didn't! We haven't been as careless since. If you want to test for peace of mind by all means do but again... it's unlikely!

DramaAlpaca Mon 23-Apr-18 22:40:46

Hmm. I got my period back four months post birth while ebf, so it's not all that unlikely. And a couple of months later I did get pregnant again after just one careless session.

I'd test on Friday if I were you.

If you do turn out to be pregnant, I'd actually thoroughly recommend a 15 or 16 month gap smile

Mumlife101 Mon 23-Apr-18 23:05:53

Just found this... hopefully you meet the criteria then you know it is pretty unlikely smile

Exclusive breastfeeding has in fact been shown to be an excellent form of birth control, but there are certain criteria that must be met for breastfeeding to be used effectively.

Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:

Your baby is less than six months old
Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: