Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

What’s next after HyCoSy?

(12 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Sun 11-Feb-18 23:07:35

I had a HyCoSy done last Wednesday. Sonographer said my tubes were patent and the dye spilled out of the end of both. She also did a SIS and said she couldn’t see any bands of scar tissue.

We have a follow up on 27th with the fertility consultant. We’ve had all our other testsdone (hormones, SA etc) which all came back normal. I have a 9 year old daughter from a previous relationship so not eligible for IVF on NHS. Me and DP have been ttc for 16 months now with no pregnancies in that time.

Just wondered what the next step will be. Will we just be told it’s unexplained and to just keep trying naturally/try private funded IVF? Trying not to get my hopes up too much about that lovely old wives tale about having a HyCoSy can increase your fertility lol

Bubblegum89 Mon 12-Feb-18 08:10:24

Anyone?

physicskate Mon 12-Feb-18 11:40:53

They will probably either say keep ttc until you hit the two year mark or recommend IVF.

They won't do NHS IVF until two years with unexplained (which it seems you are) in almost any CCG and some CCG won't until three years ttc.

There's not a lot that can be done...

It's shit, I know bubblegum.

Bubblegum89 Mon 12-Feb-18 12:03:43

Thank you physicskate I have a 9 year old DD from a previous relationship so won’t be entitled to NHS funding for IVF so will the hospital just kind of let me go?

physicskate Mon 12-Feb-18 12:16:16

I wasn't trying to imply that you would get funding, just that they wouldn't probably do IVF quickly now even if you WERE entitled to it.

So yeah, they will probably discharge you at this point...

florafoxtrot Mon 12-Feb-18 13:05:03

I had a hycosy at 15 months TTC and as you, we were told we were unexplained and I believe the expectation was that we would keep trying until we reached the two year mark. However we asked for a private referral to discuss our options - the appointment was £200. They then suggested a course of super ovulation and IUI - it was privately funded but less than IVF. Long story but the IUI was cancelled after I'd done the stims and I was fortunate enough to fall pregnant through DTD (and month 3 after hycosy!! blush) So it might be something worth considering asking what other options your clinic offer?

Bubblegum89 Mon 12-Feb-18 14:27:49

I’m wondering if IUI is worth a try or if it’s best to save that money and go straight to IVF? Congratulations on your pregnancy, glad it managed to happen naturally for you!

LookingAtTheStars89 Mon 12-Feb-18 15:13:06

@Bubblegum89 I hope you don't mind be commenting but maybe consider the IUI first? It's less invasive an usually under £1000 (£700-£1000) from what I have researched already. My husband and I have already decided 9 months into ttc that if it doesn't happen for us naturally that we are going to try IUI.

Sorry, I hopefully don't think I'm being a busy body. IUI would probably be a lot easier on your body, I think of you know when you ovulate you can even have natural cycles done but if you're travelling far or unsure then I think they suggest ovulation stimulation x

florafoxtrot Mon 12-Feb-18 15:53:47

It is a decision that only you can make. IVF has a higher success rate but it is more expensive and invasive.
Our circumstances were a bit different as we almost doing the IUI while we waited to qualify for NHS IVF (and I am totally aware of how entitled that sounds, please don't think I'm a spoiled monkey - I'd just had the ultimate baby bomb that week and would have sold a kidney for a bit of control)
If you can, go to the consultation and find out the options and the costs? You don't have to make the decision right now.

florafoxtrot Mon 12-Feb-18 15:56:16

Sorry - and for lookingatthestars too - just to add a bit more context to my story and a warning for IUI... I ended up over-stimulated (3 follicles of medium size rather than one big juicy guy) and they cancelled the actual IUI procedure - I got £150 back from over £1000. Yes I was lucky, I disobeyed their orders to use protection to avoid multiples, had sex and fell pregnant but at the time I was raging at the perceived waste of money.

LookingAtTheStars89 Mon 12-Feb-18 16:16:19

@florafoxtrot. You can have non stimulated cycles though can't you?

florafoxtrot Mon 12-Feb-18 17:08:40

Yes Looking - you can have a natural IUI and that would likely be cheaper too as you wouldn't need to pay for the drugs. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: