Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Advice on conceiving after EMCS for someone in their late 30s?

(7 Posts)
Sunrise888 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:50:51

We had our first baby 6 months ago by EMCS - we were told to wait 2 years before the next one. As I'm in my late 30s, I don't want to wait too long, so I've been weighing up the risks of having a baby sooner than two years. (It's likely I'd ask for a ELCS next time.)

Would appreciate any shared experiences.

elmo1980 Sun 11-Feb-18 19:55:40

I got pregnant 7 months after an emcs with my first. At no point had anyone warned me against getting pregnant for 2 years nor has any reaction from midwives or hospital staff I've seen since been anything but positive.

I'm late 30s too so didn't want to wait too long. I felt well, healthy and fully recovered when I got pregnant so listened to what I thought my body could cope with and apart from a few more aches and pains in this pregnancy so far, I feel good.

KadabrasSpoon Sun 11-Feb-18 19:57:43

I had a 14 month age gap after EMCS. Also late 30s.
No one warned me not to though - was there a reason for that?

Chattycat78 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:00:26

Depends how old you are. Late thirties is risky to be waiting 2 years If you ask me. Also depends why they’ve said to wait 2 years and what the risks of that are. I had my first baby at just turned age 36 and I knew I had low egg reserve and couldn’t mess about. I started ttc again as soon as my period came back when he was 9 months old. I ended up having my second age 37 which was very lucky.

If the 2 year thing is just an “ideal scenario” I wouldn’t hang around if it was me. Egg quality gets worse and worse as you age. Also don’t forget that you have no idea how long it will take to conceive.

DwangelaForever Sun 11-Feb-18 20:22:18

I fell pregnant 4 months (surprise pregnancy) after my emcs and had a mc - I'm convinced it was because my body hadn't healed yet. I was told a year minimum (I don't know if this was a personally figure to me because of my procedure personally)

I'm pregnant again now 16 months after mine and hoping it will run smooth!

moanaschicken Sun 11-Feb-18 20:30:24

It should be about a year to give the stomach muscles time to fully heal before a pregnancy puts strain on them. So getting pregnant when baby is 10+ months old wouldn't be too bad I think.

Namelesswonder Sun 11-Feb-18 20:34:51

I had EMCS for DD1 age 37, nobody said anything about waiting a while before conceiving DD2. As it was I waited 2 years as too knackered to think about baby number 2 before then! Pregnant within 2 months, age 39.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: