Talk

Advanced search

Actively try to conceive, or just don't try not to?

(3 Posts)
AnotherOriginalUsername Sat 10-Feb-18 17:44:00

My husband and I have decided to try for a baby which is just slightly terrifying! We're currently at the "not trying not to" get pregnant stage.

I have a medical condition which means any pregnancy is a risk to my own health but I've been given the go ahead by the profs at my local hospital and have been told "if you're going to do it, do it now". Pregnancy and delivery will be very carefully managed, but currently it's considered low risk.

I've come off of contraception for the first time in about 15 years. In that time, I've been on the combined pill, had a couple of implants and had a mirena coil. I've not had anything resembling a period for around 10 years. Prior to that was withdrawal bleeds whilst on the pill.

My coil was removed last week and I'm currently riding the hormone express (a bit like the Hogwarts Express, only less fun).
I'm aware that things won't go back to normal for a while (whatever normal is, I have no idea, it's been so long!). We aren't in a rush for a baby as such, but the time is about as right as it can be with regard to my health and our current living situation.

Do we start actively trying to conceive (with ovulation tests and waiting for the planets to align) or do we not just try not to? Do things return to normal relatively quickly after stopping contraception? I've got visions of my ovaries being dried and withered little husks after years of hormonal contraception. Both of us would have a baby tomorrow if we could, and I've had to come off of all of my medication as it's not baby friendly, so the sooner the better really, but I don't want our sex life to become clinical and scripted. He's just happy to get a leg over at any opportunity hmm

Daisymalone Sat 10-Feb-18 18:19:30

I guess it depends on how many times a week you normally have sex! If you are at it 4 times a week or so then you are likely to hit your fertile days regardless, whilst if you are more of a two times a week couple you could easily go for months and miss your window entirely. Maybe start off without serious tracking, for example using a period tracker app that gives you an estimated fertile week. Then if nothing happens after a few months try opks/temping so you know exactly when/if you ovulate? Good luck x

AnotherOriginalUsername Sat 10-Feb-18 18:22:30

I've downloaded an app (no idea if it's any good) but more to try and work out cycles out of my own interest really - I have zero idea what my body does normally!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now