Talk

Advanced search

Citalopram and no sex drive

(5 Posts)
SheepAreAllAroundMe Sat 10-Feb-18 17:01:59

Looking to TTC soon but I never want to have sex. Ever! Me and dh used to have a very good sex life but since I’ve been taking cit, I just, don’t want to. The thought of sex just doesn’t interest me. I can’t climax very easily during sex anyway. I just don’t get the urge now.
Even if we weren’t going to TTC, this was concerning me. It’s not DH, it’s definitely me and this medicine.
I don’t want to stop taking it yet as it’s turned my mental health right around.
Anyone been in a similar situation that can offer advice on boosting my animalistic urges?!

physicskate Sat 10-Feb-18 17:44:51

I would suggest having a conversation with your gp. My vague understanding is that some anti-anxiety/ADs are less advisable to take when pregnant for the health of the unborn foetus... it may be that citalopram is NOT one of them.

Lack of sex drive is a very common side effect of mood altering drugs (like citalopram) and of depression...

I've heard some people have success with maca root of boosting their sex drive.

Darkstar4855 Sat 10-Feb-18 18:18:31

It is a common problem with citalopram and worth speaking to your GP about. They might be able to suggest reducing your dose or switching to a different antidepressant.

SheepAreAllAroundMe Sat 10-Feb-18 19:11:16

I’ve recently increased my dose so don’t want to reduce it just yet. Gp said not to change until I’m actually pregnant. Could take years!

eyeswideshit Sat 10-Feb-18 19:16:33

I've been off it a year now and still have little sex drive. Even off the meds if may never come back. One of the side effects unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now