Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Pcos and ttc

(9 Posts)
Mos9 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:25:21

Hello ladies!
I have been ttc #1 with my partner for 5 months. Many years ago the doctor referred me for an ultrasound scan as they believed I had pcos. I missed the scan and never followed it up. Went back to the docs today who referred me again. She advised if it was positive I'd have to wait until I've ttc for a year before getting help. Is this the norm? I thought most people were given help straight away with pcos? What are your experiences ?

PurplePotatoes Fri 09-Feb-18 18:28:57

My experience is that Yes, it was 12 months regardless of the reasons unless you were over 35 on that case it was 6 months. I have PCOS and it took 18 months to conceive dc1 but only 1 month for dc2 so it just depends on a lot of factors I guess. Good luck!

Namechangedagain95 Fri 09-Feb-18 18:34:45

I too am going for further investigation to see if I have PCOS - i have some old notes from 5 years ago from the hospital saying a scan showed my ovaries are indicative of PCOS then another scan 2 years ago said my ovaries were ultrasonically normal!

Now that DP and I are ttc, I’ve got a doctors appointment on Thursday to discuss these old notes and see if I can be referred for another scan or more investigation.

As I haven’t had the new scan yet and doctor isn’t aware I am ttc, I can’t offer you much insight I just thought it would bring you some comfort to know you’re not alone.
Best wishes and I hope you get your BFP soon! flowers

physicskate Fri 09-Feb-18 19:26:21

Even at 12 months they sometimes don't start with testing. Because of two chemical pregnancies during the first 12 months, I was told by an asshole gp to 'have more miscarriages or wait another 12 months' to get any tests.

I then was able to self refer to a fertility clinic at 16 months ttc.

Now at 23 months ttc and no more chemicals, or any other type of positive indicator...

Have been pretty depressed and miserable about it, especially as the fertility clinic found polycystic ovaries (but again they refuse to give me the required blood tests for definitive diagnosis.

I really hate ttc.

Pinkroseuk Fri 09-Feb-18 19:30:14

I have PCOS and ttc atm. Been off the pill for a year now and still now periods so been referred to the hospital but not sure if they will be any help-
My doctor said wait 2 years before complete my back to see them but we moved house so I tried my new doctors who put me on metformin at Christmas and has referred me-
Fingers crossed for you x

Mos9 Sat 10-Feb-18 12:38:28

Thanks for your stories ladies. Keeping my fingers crossed for lots of Bfps!!! I think I'm going to have to be patient for now. I don't know why but I just have this feeling that me and my partner are going to really struggle. Even though not actively trying previously we had unprotected sex for around 2 years with no pregnancy. I'm only in my 20's. He's a chef so concerned about sperm too confused

flyingplum Sat 10-Feb-18 17:01:19

Hello, can I join? Partner and I started ttc in January - currently only on cycle 2, so it's early days. However, I wondered if anyone had any advice. I had an ultrasound about three/four years ago which diagnosed both PCOS and endometriosis. I had long suspected both, as I haven't been on hormonal contraception for a long time (messed around with my mood and sex drive).

Because of the irregular cycles, I have long engaged in ovulation tracking, mainly through cervical mucus, as it was the only way I could reliably work out (at least roughly) when my period would start, as my cycle varies from anywhere between 19 to 80 days, with a cyst ruptures at various intervals (yay!). However, i recently read something online (I know, I know...bad Google Doctor) which said that with PCOS, ovulation symptoms (such as CM) may not be indicative of ovulation, but just of your body gearing up for it, but the PCOS may cause a failure for an egg to actually be deployed, so to speak.

Has anyone been told this by a GP/ob-gyn? I need to register with the GP (never got around to it when we moved north 2.5 years ago...) but was just wondering before I looked stupid.

NC1990 Sat 10-Feb-18 17:58:13

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries 5 months into ttc and was referred to a consultant straight away who prescribed me clomid (my cycles were extremely irregular so was virtually impossible to track ovulation). We were very lucky and conceived DD quickly. Seems to depend very much on your area and the GP that you get, I know some are less than willing to help.

flyingplum Sun 11-Feb-18 10:41:16

Thanks NC, always good to hear positive PCOS ttc stories. I have endo too, and to be honest had kind of resigned myself to probably never being able to have children, but now we’re trying that resignation is evaporating. I might make an appt next month to see if there’s anything we could be doing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: