Talk

Advanced search

Continue trying naturally?

(5 Posts)
Mandymoolovesyou Thu 08-Feb-18 18:15:13

Hi, I’m just looking for a bit of advice pls (this is my first time on any forum).

My DH and I have been TTC for three years. I’m 39 and he is 29. Have done all blood, ultrasound and sperm tests which came back normal.

In aug 2015 my amh was 1.2 and afc was 2 (this was done privately). In nov 2016 my afc was 1 and I was told that DE was really the only option (told by nhs).

In Jan 2018 my amh was 2.2 and afc was 4 but nhs have said my chances of successful ivf using my own eggs is 5%, using donor eggs my chances are 65%.

My DH and I are going to go down the DE route BUT we actually got pregnant last month. Miscarried at 5 weeks so v early on but we still got pregnant. I am wondering if this is anything to do with acupuncture, moxibustion and fertility massage I’ve been having since November.

My question is should we keep trying naturally or push on with DE. We only have nhs funding until the end of the year.

Has anyone else been in same situation?

mommybear1 Thu 08-Feb-18 18:43:11

Can you do both? I'd keep trying until your ivf cycle? I was 38 when I got pregnant and 39 when I had my pfb I had three miscarriages and two failed ivfs it was all put down to my eggs. We were advised to try the DE route but I wanted to be sure beforehand. I had a second opinion (taking all my notes to them in advance) they recommended a new drugs regime pre ivf and said my chances were considerably higher than I had been told. I had the second opinion in January 2017 and was due to start the ivf with the new clinic in March, during Jan to March I used the new drug regime which included DHEA and fell pregnant naturally a week before we were due to go back for the ivf. I strongly believe the DHEA helped improve my egg quality and got us our longed for baby. Have you read "it starts with an egg" it's worth looking at IMO. Feel free to PM me if you wish. Best of luck! thanks

Mandymoolovesyou Thu 08-Feb-18 19:03:40

Hi mommybear 1, thanks for getting back to me!

I was actually on DHEA and CoQ10 from Aug - Oct (because a friend in Australia recommended it) but I stopped taking both as I was starting to feel ill - headaches, stomach aches, sensitive to bright lights. NHS wouldn't give me any advice on it because its not registered in UK. Did you get DHEA privately? And yes, I've got the book smile

mommybear1 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:19:57

Ah I see! I got mine via the internet but it was a site recommended by the second ivf consultant. I didn't have any side effects sorry to hear you did.

hoping2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 08:10:24

Hi @Mandymoolovesyou ,

Your numbers are low for your age so I expect ivf may not produce many eggs for you. But as everyone says repeatedly it only takes one. I guess the question is would you be ok with never trying ivf for your OE? I'm currently on my first ivf cycle and have been told I had DOR (AMH 8, FSH12) so I was of course terrified re: egg numbers but I produced 32 follicles and collect 20 eggs!!! Everyone is astounded (in a good way). I expect I'm in a group of s very lucky few but you don't know unless you try and it's taught me all their tests etc are an indicator not a certainty .

My local CCG has a cut off of an AMH of 5.4 though and below this your not NHS funded? Were you hoping for NHS and if so do you know you meet their criteria? It's an expensive and emotional experience for a small chance so I guess that's why lots of people go for DE first off.

Just my thoughts - probably not helping you reach a conclusion!!!

Finally - you might get more responses and experience over on the infertility section rather than conception.

Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now