Advanced search

Zika vurus

(11 Posts)
Happysbno4 Thu 08-Feb-18 14:08:38

Would you go while trying to conceive or Not?

Dp wants to go. It's a freebie from my work and he wants to have us a big holiday before.. I'm very unsure!

Feel click ticking as I'm 39 this year and waiting until after has consequences.
Do I take a chance?

Opinions please. Did you conceive in a zika virus country? Or change your plans around the virus.


JJPP1234 Thu 08-Feb-18 14:10:34

I conceived in and lived in a zika virus country for the first half of my pregnancy.

awankstainonhumanity Thu 08-Feb-18 14:20:47

I wouldn't unless you are either going to put off TTC or pay for the blood test when you get back

Mrsjones17 Thu 08-Feb-18 14:58:17

I wouldn’t risk it. Hold off ttc until you come back and the appropriate time frame has passed. It’s not worth the risk

Bee1100 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:53:14

I am currently pondering the same thing - except I actually have go to a country with Zika (no choice) and now I'm worried about TTC. People have suggested we take the blood tests on return but I'm not sure if they are 100% reliable?

OverinaFlash Thu 08-Feb-18 15:56:55

I have opted not to go on a work trip to a Zika affected country. The suggestion for women is that you wait two months after last possible exposure before trying to conceive, this increases to 6+ months as your partner will also be travelling there.

The caveat is that I have been trying for almost 2 years, having had an ectopic pregnancy. I have been waiting long enough and don't want to put it off further. For me, it just wasn't worth the risk or the waiting. DH also said there is no way he would be going even if I went (we were also considering a holiday afterwards).

JJPP1234 Thu 08-Feb-18 16:59:21

Sorry I just realised I replied but not properly.

So I conceived in Singapore and didn't move back to the UK until halfway through my pregnancy with DS.

Singapore was on the recommended not to travel to lists.

They play down the risk A LOT. I guess as a country they don't want no babies born for years on end and the risks are low.

We conceived knowing the risks. We got through an awful lot of insect repellent. I had 1 mosquito bite around 16 weeks and was tested for ZIKA, the results were negative fortunately.

The stress was horrendous. I felt a lot less rational once pregnant and drove myself half mad with anxiety.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Happysbno4 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:11:06

Thanks for all of your advise.

Im Looking at the do not travel list I'm surprised half the world is on it! Baby's are still born in these countries.
So with that in mind the risk must be minimal.
I'm going to speak to Nurse at my practice. I'm thinking Cyprus now!

ReggaetonLente Thu 08-Feb-18 20:16:07

I wouldn’t, more for how unpleasant and stressful it would make your pregnancy rather than any absolute risk.

I conceived within the 6 month window mentioned above and most HCPs weren’t particularly reassuring. I’ve had to have extra scans and appointments etc. It’s not been fun, I wouldn’t have done it through choice.

hoping2018 Fri 09-Feb-18 08:13:03

Interestingly lots of clinics won't let you do IVF if you've been to a zika area - so they obviously feel it's a real risk.

I went on a wonderful holiday to Mauritius in November - best zika free destination I could find!

Disneyrules Fri 09-Feb-18 08:27:43

The second time I got pregnant I had not only been to a zika area within the last 12 months but baby was also conceived while we were in a zika area too. Ended up suffering from a miscarriage at 10 weeks although doubt this had anything to do with it. You just never know and ignite something you will constantly be doubting and worrying about I'd probably say don't risk it x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: