Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Having a baby at 40

(11 Posts)
somewhereawayfromhere Thu 08-Feb-18 13:20:31

Just wondered if anyone has any advice on being an older mum? I'm currently 38, I'd like another baby, but work wise leaving it another year and a half would put me in a better financial position to do this. What would your advice be on the whole ticketing fertility timebomb be? I have 2 kids but that was in my 20s.

Snowydaysarehere Thu 08-Feb-18 13:23:01

I had a ds at 37 and one at 43. Conceived very quickly. No luck ttc at 44 though - mmc and 3 chemicals.
Don't hang around is my advice.

AnElderlyLadyOfMediumHeight Thu 08-Feb-18 13:26:15

It's incredibly individual. Some will get pregnant easily well into the 40s, others won't.

How old are your existing children? Was conceiving them easy? Are your periods regular? The answers to those questions might provide indications, but I reckon you need some fertility tests (hormone levels etc) in order to know a bit more (even that won't provide any guarantees, though).

AnElderlyLadyOfMediumHeight Thu 08-Feb-18 13:27:54

Ah sorry, saw you had dc in your 20s. I don't think you can draw any inferences on your current fertility from that. (But are you sure you want to go back to square one? grin I did and it's been fab, but there are downsides...)

SummerRayne17 Thu 08-Feb-18 13:36:44

Hi OP, i had my 3rd baby at 40 (already have 15 & 13 year old children). I conceived very easily but my pregnancy was much harder this time around and i ended up having a c-sec. It's tiring but i feel that I am a lot calmer this time around and am really enjoying being mum to my beautiful little girl. She is my last baby now, as i had a tubal occlusion at the same time as my c-sec.

somewhereawayfromhere Thu 08-Feb-18 19:40:42

Hi thanks for the replies. Periods are lighter, that's something that's bothering me a bit, but still regular. Both my other 2 I got pregnant without trying. What's involved in having a fertility test?

Cleozeta Thu 08-Feb-18 20:14:08

Don't leave it. I did and now I'm 40 with high FSH and not much hope. Getting pregnant at 40 is so much harder and there is no turning back once the clock has ticked.

AnElderlyLadyOfMediumHeight Thu 08-Feb-18 20:19:03

It's a blood test measuring hormone levels on certain days of the cycle. I had one in the context of recurrent mc. (I will add that while I had mcs in both my 20s and 30s, in the second half of my 30s it started taking a bit longer to get pregnant each time. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean anything for your experience)

BooseysMom Sat 10-Feb-18 13:05:45

Hi, i had my first and only at 41 after 2 mc's. We'd given up when it happened and i thought i must be peri menopausal when i had 2 late bleeds which weren't proper periods ..imagine our surprise when we found out we were expecting! ! We've been ttc no.2 for nearly 3 years. I'm now 46 next week and it looks like it won't happen. So i'd say there's never a right time so don't leave it like i did. I regret it so much but am truly blessed with our DS. good luck x

Chattycat78 Sat 10-Feb-18 19:56:49

Absolutely do not wait. Having kids in your twenties says nothing about your current fertility. TBH I’m not so sure I’d recommend fertility tests either- all they will tell you is how many eggs you have left and nothing about egg quality which is what counts re getting pregnant. Egg quality is determined by age. The older you are, the less viable eggs you have. Also other people’s storues of getting pregnant in their forties mean nothing for your specific situation so don’t be reassured by those.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Sun 11-Feb-18 08:50:12

I really wouldn't wait unless you have to. It's one thing to put it off in your early 30s, another to put it off til 40. Yes, you might be one of the women who conceives easily but you also might be one of the women whose fertility door has already closed decisively by then. It's a big risk to take and you can't turn the clock back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: