Advanced search

Clearblue versus One Step OPK Tests - mixed results

(5 Posts)
Katloulou Wed 07-Feb-18 22:03:39

Hi, Im having some confusion using ovulation tests. I was using One Step and started testing on day 8 (of a 26 day cycle). I know the second line is supposed to be the same colour or darker than the test line, but that never happened - however it did get slightly stronger (still not as dark as the test line) around days 11 and 12 so we BD like crazy. Today, which is day 14, I took another one just out of curiosity and the line was darker than ever, the same as the test line. I couldn't believe it as I thought I had already ovulated. I dashed out to buy a Clearblue OPK , and did not get a smily face! I am so confused - my OH is now ill with the flu - and I'm worried I may have BD too early ! Does anyone know which test is more accurate? I got the Onestep from my GP!

Mrsjones17 Wed 07-Feb-18 22:10:39

I think the clear blue ones always give a negative first test. I have been using them in line with one step ones for a few months now. Once one step ones are starting to look close to positive I use clear blue top to make it easier to spot and the first test is always a negative on clear blue despite the fact that one step are nearly positive. I get flashing for a few days and then positive on clear blue normally matching up with opk. Hope this helps x

delilahbucket Wed 07-Feb-18 22:13:54

You start testing early in your cycle with Clear Blue as it doesn't just measure LH and it needs to work out your lower levels. They are both accurate, when used correctly.

Katloulou Wed 07-Feb-18 22:37:00

So does that mean I should keep testing with CB and it might become positive? All the apps I use predicted me to ovulate a lot earlier. Its so confusing!

delilahbucket Fri 09-Feb-18 22:40:13

No, you start testing with clear blue around day 7 of your cycle I think. You've missed the boat with that one. Ignore the apps. They do not tell you when you ovulate, they only guess based on averages and predict 14 days before your period due, which isn't always accurate. For example, I ovulate 13 days before my period.
If the one step was positive on day 14, then you are likely to have ovulated day 15 or 16. The line must be as dark as or darker than the test line for the one step to be positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now