Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Asprin while ttc/early pregnancy

(16 Posts)
colourful86 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:00:44

Looking for some advice, had a mc in Jan and back on the TTC bus now, whilst I don't know the reason for the MC I've read a lot about ppl taking baby aspirin during ttc and early pregnancy after they have had a miscarriage and they go on to have successful pregnancies.
I assume it's given to thin the blood, what's the risk of taking it as a precautionary measure?

melissafrancis Wed 07-Feb-18 21:09:04

Hi @colourful - so sorry to hear about your MC. How many weeks along were you?

I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden and so when I get pregnant I know I'll need to go to doctors and arrange to start injections for blood thinning from very early on. I believe this will be heparin/lovenox. I'm TTC #1 (Cycle 1). I'd suggest maybe speaking to GP about likelihood of a clotting issue being the reason for your MC, then you'd know if you needed to take measures towards future pregnancies. X

MaderiaCycle Wed 07-Feb-18 21:12:14

They recommend it in pregnancy up to 32 weeks as they reckon it reduces the chances of pre-eclampsia by up to 20%. Not heard it used otherwise, but it's a low dose (75mg) so a quarter of a normal aspirin.

colourful86 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:14:44

I was 6 weeks, so it could have been for any reason, just wanted to try it as a prevention thing really, just wondering if it's a risk if you don't have clotting problems? I'm not sure if I do or don't

TwoDrifters Wed 07-Feb-18 21:16:37

Watching with interest as I’m in precisely the same boat! Sorry about your MC colourful it’s utterly horrid isn’t it flowers

toomuchfaster Wed 07-Feb-18 21:24:11

Taking any medication carries a risk. There is no such thing as 'baby' aspirin, you can't give aspirin to babies.
If a doctor recommends taking a low dose aspirin in pregnancy, the risk of side effects is considered to be outweighed by the benefits.
Please talk to your midwife/GP before going on aspirin.

Aria2015 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:24:14

According to my doctor there is no risk with taking baby aspirin (that's aspirin in a very low dose) but there are risks with taking normal
Aspirin. I took baby aspirin after multiple miscarriages and had a successful pregnancy. My doctor said it couldn't hurt so I took it.

Janefx40 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:12:14

Hoya. I've just finished my first round of IVF (not successful sadly) but they put most of their patients on 75mg of aspirin (they are different to normal aspirin) and Clexane injections twice a day for blood thinning.

I wouldn't do it though without asking a Dr tho as there may be other things in your medical history that would mean this was not right for you.

Sorry about your miscarriage. Very hard

X

mamabear05 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:14:48

@colourful86 I had an early loss at 6 weeks in December. My GP said taking a low dose aspirin from bfp wouldn't cause any harm and might help so I took it straight away in January when I got my next BFP. I lost this one at 5 weeks though so she's now advised me to try it throughout my cycle. I obviously wouldn't take anything without her recommendation so I'd check with your own GP first but I've been taking it now for a week since I stopped bleeding. Currently on CD10ish and usually ovulate around CD17 so will see if it makes any difference for me this time x

TwoDrifters Fri 09-Feb-18 17:54:23

What precisely is “baby aspirin” or a “low dose aspirin”? And where do you source/buy it?

MoreProsecco Fri 09-Feb-18 17:59:15

I took 75mg aspirin on the advice of my consultant, having had PE in my previous pregnancy.

I was advised not to take it when TTC, as it may affect implantation- but to take it from BFP to 36 weeks pregnancy.

HTH.

colourful86 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:18:39

@mamabear05 sorry to hear about your losses, hope this next one is a success's for you keep us posted

I've bought some 75mg today from the pharmacy, I spoke with the pharmacist who said to take it from BFP I will also check with my gp and midwife when/If it happens, in 2WW now

Read so much online about it helping people to go to full term, but aware that the internet is full of conflicting info, just want to try anything I can x

mamabear05 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:21

Just thought I'd update to say that I got a positive on an opk this morning so whilst I have heard that low dose aspirin can delay ovulation it hasn't done for me, I'm actually bang on time. This is fab news for me since I was expecting it to be delayed anyway since I am in the cycle following an early loss at 5 weeks at present. Next stage is to see if I actually conceive again this month and whether it sticks this time if I do so can't comment on any effects upon implantation yet but here's hoping! X

colourful86 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:53:50

@mamabear05 congrats on your ov, I'm 9pdo and going slowly mental!
Are you taking aspirin now? I was going to start at BFP (if it comes)

mamabear05 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:12:15

Hi @colourful86 yes I started taking it just after bfp last time but miscarried a few days later so this time my GP said to try it throughout my whole cycle. Had expected a possible interference with my ovulation but it's bang on time so so far so good! x

mamabear05 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:13:12

Awww the 2ww drags doesn't it. Good luck! When are you testing? x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: