Talk

Advanced search

Coming off the pill

(13 Posts)
user8153 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:34:30

I'm coming to the end of my 1 week break and not planning on taking it again. Me and partner have decided we want to ttc and this is the first step. My question is what happened when you came off it? How long did you wait before your periods went back to normal?

I am dreading it. I originally went on the pill to help with heavy/painful periods but I'm trying to remind myself that I was a lot younger then (it was 10 years ago) so maybe that was my periods settling down. Anyone else had this and been fine when they came off it?

ladybug92 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:48:09

Hi, I had been on the pill for 5yrs before coming off it, had 1 period and then fell pregnant. I have just come off it again to ttc#2 and am waiting to see how my periods regulate... I think it's really dependant on each individual, there isnt really a 'way it turns out'
I am hoping mine regulate quickly. I've read that coming off the pill you are at your most fertile but I'm not sure if that's true...

VenusStarr Tue 06-Feb-18 08:01:42

I came off late November. Had my breakthrough bleed. I then ovulated (really uncomfortable) and had a short one day bleed that must have been my period. My cycles are still regulating I think as averaging about 26 days. I'm mid-cycle and due on next week.

I've been using ovia to get a rough idea of when to expect period.

My period last month was longer but like you before I went on the pill I had 7 day long heavy periods, but so far not had anything like that.

Good luck!

DoAsDreamersDo Tue 06-Feb-18 08:37:45

I originally went on the pill due to heavy periods, but since coming off in April last year they've not been too bad (they're not good, but they're manageable). It seems to have taken my body a few months to settle down into a regular pattern, but I think I'm finally there. Plenty of people fall pregnant straight away and I hope it's the same for you.

RowenasDiadem Tue 06-Feb-18 08:40:28

I came off the pill at the end of February and was pregnant by April.
I other than my normal pill break bleed I didn't have another period.

My angel baby was conceived in the first pill free cycle.

A couple of years later it was a couple of cycles off the pill before conceiving again.

Last one was thanks to a single night's action after a very, very long dry spell.

We're very fertile.

lozzalou93 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:13:21

I came off pill December 6th 2017. I was taking ‘trying for a baby’ tablets after this to try establish a routine. I had my standard withdrawal bleed then 27 day cycle, followed by a 28 day cycle. I was on rigevidon for 10 years.
I can honestly say I will never go back on the pill again!! I now have terrible cramps (around ovulation time). I experienced extreme nausea and bizarrely my boobs grew too but this was very uncomfortable. I actually thought I was pregnant the first month coming off but am not. I seem to be okay now, still get a lot of cramps around ovulation time but I think it’s just my body getting used becoming fertile! Good luck

Woodchuck9 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:38:38

I stopped in October my period came back and had a bleed every month smile it's taken us 3 months and I'm current 7 weeks pregnant smile sometimes it happens differently for other people though x

stripytopspottypants Tue 06-Feb-18 14:42:58

Both times I’ve stopped the pill (14 and 16 years after starting it) I’ve been really really ill.
Just nausea for weeks and weeks, anxiety, feeling really run down and unwell.
Both times I fell pregnant within 6 weeks of stopping, but I wasn’t prepared to feel so sick.

Sally52014 Tue 06-Feb-18 15:09:44

I came off the pill on November 12th, had my withdrawal bleed and that’s been it!! Still no period and I’m getting impatient ! Hoping it will return soon.

user8153 Tue 06-Feb-18 18:59:49

I am hopeful that the pain was more down to my age and the fact my body was trying to settle down and that it won't be so bad now! I am (perhaps naively) hoping to not be someone tracking ovulation and I just want to see how things go. Does everyone else track things? I feel I may have to track my periods to some extent so I know when they are coming!

Are cramps around ovulation a common thing? It's not something I'd come across before??

KnitKitty Tue 06-Feb-18 19:57:33

I came off the pill at the beginning of December after pretty much 15 years of taking it. My doctor told me to expect a break-through bleed half way through the month but this never happened, I seem to have just gone straight back in to "normal" cycles.

I was on the pill to help with endometriosis, so a lot of painful periods were had before. The period I had last month was actually not very painful at all, so I hope it stays that way. Keeping stress levels down and exercising helps.

I had ovulation pain in my first cycle which I thought was my period starting on cycle day 18. It felt exactly like period pains starting, crampy accompanied with a stabbing pain. But no ovulation pain this cycle.

Still getting used to being off the pill, but so far it's not been too bad. I've been getting spots on my face, neck and chest which I never really had on the pill, which is fun, and get the odd ache or pain every now and again. My moods seem to fluctuate more and I'm more aware of CM. I guess my body is just getting used to its own hormones again.

I've decided not to do any ovulation tests or temping etc. Firstly, I have no idea of my cycle lengths yet. Secondly, I don't want to stress too much about TTC and hoping things will happen naturally and in its own time. Having said that, I am trying to make a note of my symptoms throughout my cycles to see if patterns emerge to help me pinpoint around when it is I tend to ovulate; but I'm leaving most of it up to mother nature. smile If you know roughly the date you ovulate and have sex in the days around and on this day you're in with a good chance. But it can take several months even if everything is functioning as it should.

It's a game of patience. (She says impatiently)!!

user8153 Tue 06-Feb-18 20:15:03

I'll be watching and waiting for that then.. I am a bit nervous of what my body will do when left to its own devices - it's also been a long time since I had anything other than a 'period' that started at 10pm on a Friday night!

In my head I would prefer to just let it happen when it happens, but I am already impatient so we will see! I am interested to see what happens to me in terms of mood, the pill would make me tearful over small things as I got towards the end of the pack. The adventure that awaits...

user8153 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:25:13

Not so desirable. 2 weeks pill-less and my skin is SO dry and flaky. I am exfoliating and moisturising but I think if I rubbed my face now there'd be a snow storm fall off it.. yikes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now