Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC while breastfeeding

(166 Posts)
CatSneeze Thu 04-Jan-18 14:21:46

DS is 13 months now and BFing 2-3 times a day/night. Would love to try for number 2 but periods came back in October and still all over the place and I seem to have a super short luteal phase (AF arrived today 5 days after OV, earliest yet!) so I'm expecting a long wait.

I noticed that there was a support thread for those TTC while breastfeeding a while ago and was wondering if there were others out there who fancied joining me on a new one?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 04-Jan-18 14:34:20

Hiya! My DD is 2 and we've been ttc number 2 for a year now. She still has milk 3 times a day, for about 40 minutes total. As I'm old and withered, and it took 2 years to conceive DD, I'm going to the GP next week to start investigating. I'm very worried I'll be told to stop breastfeeding.

CatSneeze Thu 04-Jan-18 16:03:08

I'm sure you're not old and withered JohnLapsley grin !! I am pleased to hear you say that you're still feeding your daughter at 2. I felt so much pressure from family to stop over Christmas and neither DS or I want to yet. Hope the GP has some good news for you

willisurvive3under2 Thu 04-Jan-18 16:13:45

Not sure this is going to be that helpful, but I was BFing 12 month old DS twice a day when I got pregnant again on our first try. It's twins! I have read/been told that BFing could have caused double ovulation. No twins in the family so it could be that! Now 22 weeks and still BFing 1-2 times a day.

Bambamber Thu 04-Jan-18 18:44:12

My DD is 9 months and still feeding throughout the day and night. My cycles haven't returned yet but would like to TTC number 2, but we're not prepared to stop or cut down breastfeeding to encourage my cycles to return, so could be in for the long haul!

Hollymchollyface Thu 04-Jan-18 18:51:19

Hi, I've been meaning to start a thread about this. I'm bf'ing my 15mth old, lots. Day and night although trying to night wean at the moment and ttc. I got pg in Nov in our first month of trying but have a mc and I am a bit concerned that maybe bf caused my progesterone levels to be too low as he starting feeding loads as soon as I found out I was pg. I could just be worrying about nothing though - I have no reason to think this but my brain likes to try and find reasons.

Hollymchollyface Thu 04-Jan-18 18:53:24

Ps. I was conceived whilst my mum was bf my 6 month old sister and her cycles hadn't returned

jpclarke Thu 04-Jan-18 20:09:04

I was on a previous thread, and got pregnant while breastfeeding. Here is what I took coq10, iron, vit c, vit b complex, ttc conception, zinc and vit e. I also tried Accupuncture before the month I got my bfp but that ended in a chemical pregnancy. I did a lot of reading on it, and you have to trick your body into thinking it can sustain both breastfeeding and pregnancy so up your calories too. My friend also tried these supplements and got pregnant whilst breastfeeding. I am breastfeeding that baby now and considering another baby...

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 04-Jan-18 23:13:14

It's lovely to hear that others have got pregnant whilst breastfeeding.
Cat I got quite a lot of comments last Christmas when she was 14 months and breastfeeding like a newborn! This year I had one comment and she responded to her grandma with "me love me boobie milk". That shut them up.

crazychemist Fri 05-Jan-18 13:57:03

Hi ladies :-)
My DD is 15 months, feeds when she wakes, before her nap and then at bedtime (longest feed). But she still feeds a lot at night for comfort - the plan was to night wean after we moved house as I want her to still have that comfort, but we've had quite a few delays so it'll be another two months I reckon. Cycles haven't returned yet.
Would love to hear some success stories, so thought I'd join this thread! (And if anyone has great tips for gentle nightweaning that would be very welcome too grin)

Hollymchollyface Fri 05-Jan-18 14:41:10

@jpclarke I would be interested in reading up on this. Can you recommend any good websites ?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Fri 05-Jan-18 15:15:14

@crazychemist we did the Jay Gordon method over about 5 months. Started at 14 months. DD will now at 2 be put to bed by grandparents/uncle/daddy even if she knows I'm in the house. Game changer.

jpclarke Fri 05-Jan-18 15:48:13

I can't think of the websites I will have to go searching again.

Pyxie Fri 05-Jan-18 17:43:46

Hi all, my DS is 13 months and we're thinking about trying for number 2 (well I'm obsessing about it 😂) but my cycles haven't returned yet. DS feeds before bed and back to sleep for any wake ups in the night and sometimes in the morning depending on when he wakes. I'm liking the idea of upping calories, I'm maybe a bit too skinny so maybe that's not helping.

Wolfgrrl Fri 05-Jan-18 18:32:29

@jpclarke that's interesting, thanks for sharing. Did your periods come back or did you conceive without having af? I'm bf DD1 a lot as she is only 5 months. Not wanting to ttc yet but likely will when she is under 1 as it took as a while to conceive her.

8DaysAWeek Fri 05-Jan-18 22:16:45

Hello 👋🏼 I'm on the other thread too but need all the support/empathy/advice I can get.

DS is now 17mo and still no AF.

He had a cold a couple of weeks ago and since then he's back in bed with us and feeding a lot during the night.

I'm back at work next week and hoping the 12 hour stints when he's at nursery and not nursing will be a big enough change to shock my body into ovulating, but I doubt it!

FuzzInMyBrain Sat 06-Jan-18 13:11:29

Hello! DS is 6 months and we've started TTC #2 even though my cycles have not returned and I am nursing him every few hours, day and night.

I know the likelihood of conceiving like this is minimal, and I'm not even remotely ready to start thinking about night weaning, so we're just seeing what happens for now.

I've been trying to track my cycles with OPKs and it looks like I'm having a surge, but the tests never go into a fully-fledged positive.

I'm thinking of going to fertility acupuncture- it's how we conceived the first time, after over a year of TTC. Has anyone else tried it?

crazychemist Sat 06-Jan-18 14:02:02

Wow JLP, 5 months sounds long, but I guess it has to be slow to be gentle.... hopefully DD will be 17 months when we move, so maybe we'll start at 18 months and aim to be where you are by 2! Would be amazing if she'd go to bed for someone else, can imagine having another DC without that.
I certainly did upping calories over Christmas grin, maybe that'll do the trick! I've been vaguely considering OPKs to see if it looks like any things going on, no sign of cycles so far. Im a teacher, will be back to work next week, hoping 3 days of 12 hour no bf will help things along.

CatSneeze Sun 07-Jan-18 15:43:23

crazychemist we’ve been gently night weaning and what’s worked for us is reducing the night feeds by 30 seconds every 2-3 days. He now only wakes once or twice a night and we’re down to 3.5 minute feeds. I’m hoping eventually he will just think it’s not worth waking up for! It’s worked well for us anyway, he was waking 9 times a night previously.

It’s possibly coincidence but periods returned for me shortly after I started taking folic acid again. They’re still all over the place and I’ve no idea what’s going on at the moment but I feel it’s at least starting to get back to normal.. hopeful at least! January blues are making me feel quite down today and I think I’m in for a long wait

Penguina Sun 07-Jan-18 20:36:22

Oops just started a thread as couldn’t see any others for ttc when bfing. Can I join you? Bfing 19 month old and just started going for number 3!

CatSneeze Mon 08-Jan-18 16:54:01

Hi Penguina you’re more than welcome to join- lovely to hear from others in the same position!

We’ve just found out that DH has to go to a Zika infected region in March which means that we’ll have to put TTC on hold for six months when he gets back. That gives me two months.. yikes. Going out to buy all the vitamins that jpclarke suggested tomorrow and hope for a miracle.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 08-Jan-18 18:39:44

I had the most lovely experience today. One of my nct mums has had number 2, and I'm the only one still breastfeeding number 1. We had a meet up but she had to work and sent her children along with their Granny. Baby had refused a bottle all day and everyone was getting really stressed. I offered to feed baby and she took it! Felt very odd feeding a little baby again!

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 08-Jan-18 18:40:12

And good luck Cat!

Wolfgrrl Tue 09-Jan-18 08:35:17

Cat that's annoying about the Zika trip. Is it with work? This may or may not help but while we were ttc DD I had a short luteal phase and I found taking a b-complex vitamin (basically contains a mix of the b vitamins) helped to extend it. Might be worth a try?

Naschkatze Tue 09-Jan-18 09:13:47

Hi,
Can I join you? DS 10 months old, we are considering starting TTC number 2 when he turns 1. Still breastfeeding 4/5 times in 24hrs but it seems to be reducing now he is actually eating food! Irregular cycles have returned (very long!)
Had issues with first pregnancy, that meant I couldn’t TTC for 6 months after the loss and there’s a chance it will happen again so I’m a bit worried about breastfeeding affecting our chances too!
Interested about the vitamins JPclarke! How much of each did you take?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: