Talk

Advanced search

SMEP - Any success stories?

(187 Posts)
Sshsecretenclosed Wed 03-Jan-18 09:24:52

Ttc #1 month 13 here and willing to try anything! Been reading up on Sperm meets egg plan - anybody had any joy??

HanSpan1 Wed 03-Jan-18 09:59:01

Yup, i was trying to concieve #1 for about 9 months, 8 months of that was just DTD in fertile week, got fed up then last month we tried SMEP and i got my BFP on christmas eve, so i can confirm it definately works! Currently 5 weeks.

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 03-Jan-18 10:54:41

Woweeee love this!! Am I right in thinking start every other day from CD8, then as soon as you get positive opk for three days in a row. Miss one day and then one last day?

HanSpan1 Wed 03-Jan-18 11:17:47

Yup thats exactly what we did!! Good luck!

HanSpan1 Wed 03-Jan-18 11:19:18

Heres the chart i did for Dec (month we concieved that ended in BFP)

HanSpan1 Wed 03-Jan-18 11:21:17

I actually got a Pos OPK on CD16th, but it was late at night and had already charted for that day, and we started on CD7 as opposed to 8 due to DH’s work pattern,

Booboo2018 Wed 03-Jan-18 11:23:29

Well I did the SMEP for the first time this cycle and I am now 7 days late for AF but negative pregnancy tests, I have no idea what’s going on! I do think the SMEP is the way to go, it’s a LOT of sex though 😂

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 03-Jan-18 12:05:22

Oh my - it sounds like I've chose ourselves a little project!! Is the chart your temp?? Oh nooo to bfn Boo. Is there a squinter at all? Are you normally late?!

HanSpan1 Wed 03-Jan-18 12:29:58

Yea chart is my temp, but i also tracked DTD and OPK and CM etc

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 03-Jan-18 12:57:14

So far Han I've never temped. Is it vital to? I keep track of opks and cycle

Owlpatrol Wed 03-Jan-18 13:07:36

Yep it's good I've heard a lot of success stories. Onto cycle 14 here so once af finished planning smep as well fx last month attempted it but it is a lot of sex and I missed one day after the ovulation x

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 03-Jan-18 13:34:39

I'm on CD7 currently so technically get on this tomorrow!!

Mizzworthy1 Wed 03-Jan-18 14:01:54

Giving this a go this month too... Day 8 tomorrow.

Si1ver Wed 03-Jan-18 14:06:58

It's worth a go for sure, but when you actually look at it SMEP is just "have a lot of sex". Honestly you should be having sex every other day of possible anyway when you're TTC.

However, I'm a bit bitter as I've been TTC for 20 months and SMEP has never worked for me. My only pregnancy came from an every other day month and that ended in MC.

Obviously I hope it works for you though.

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 03-Jan-18 14:10:44

S1 I'm sorry to hear your story. I feel bitter on month13 so can't imagine how you feel. Mizz our.** Cycle is the same! Are you usually 28 days??

JeremiahBackflip Wed 03-Jan-18 14:17:21

Yes. Did it for the last 3 cycles ttc#2 (months 14 to 18) and it worked. I had been taking temps, using OPKs etc since starting ttc#2 as it took 18months ttc#1.

No hint of a bfp until we embarked on SMEP. I had a feint bfp cycle before I was pregnant with DS but came to nothing so assume a chemical pregnancy. I've only been pregnant twice in all of ttc career.

We did every other day once I started getting a feint line on O PKs then once the line got darker it was every day then carried on until I got a positive opk, kept on doing it for two more days, one day off then another day. Then stopped. Worn out.

So we did that for 3 cycles.

Gem173 Wed 03-Jan-18 14:50:09

Yes came off pill Sep 2017, first cycle took 31 days, second cycle (started trying normally) took 28 days, third cycle tried SMEP! And it worked. Am now 6 weeks pregnant and am very lucky x goodluck

nk1605 Wed 03-Jan-18 15:20:12

Yes, cycle #2 we followed smep and conceived. Ended at 5 weeks unfortunately but shows how well the plan gets timing right. Good luck!

Gem173 Wed 03-Jan-18 15:35:20

@nk1605 I never knew what happened to you! So sorry for your loss, did wonder if everything was going okay for you xx

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 03-Jan-18 15:41:40

I've read it and it sounds interesting but what's the advantage to dtd every day of FW or every other day? She seemed to say it was better to spread it out a bit rather than start with gusto then get tired and stop bothering and potentially miss it.

But if you normally dtd every other or every day I can't see how it would be better to follow SMEP than crack on as normal.

Sshsecretenclosed Thu 04-Jan-18 08:41:05

I don't know Anne. Maybe somebody else might know?

It's lovely hearing success stories.

Sittingintheshade Thu 04-Jan-18 08:53:07

We used smep for dc1 and conceived first cycle. Was pretty shocked!

Sshsecretenclosed Thu 04-Jan-18 09:25:10

Wow!! Another success story. I'm
On CD8 today so my 'project' is on the starting blocks wink

Sittingintheshade Thu 04-Jan-18 10:06:10

Good luck op! 🤞🏻

Sshsecretenclosed Thu 04-Jan-18 10:07:20

Thanks Sitting. Fully expecting to do a few months of the SMEP but willing to give anything a try!

Gem173 Thu 04-Jan-18 12:21:42

I’m not too sure how to answer your question. @AnneLovesGilbert I don’t think it is any different to doing the deed every other day. However it says once you get a pos opk dtd three days in a row and then skip a day and dtd again (I didn’t skip a day I was knackered)
So I guess it’s the three consecutive days that make this plan work. Also you wouldn’t have to worry about early ovulation because you will have done the deed every other day leading up to it. I think it’s a plan which people trust because it’s telling you when to dtd instead of you just dtd and hoping. I’m not sure lol all I know is that it works!

Mrsjones17 Thu 04-Jan-18 12:49:17

We tried SMEP last month and ran out if steam as it were! Absolutely knackering! It didn't help that most of fertile week DH was on nights so having to wake him up or me at earl hours in the morning like 4am to get DTD in wasn't that great I'll be honest! As a consequence we missed the 3 days in a row and 1 after bit. Unsurprisingly we were unsuccessful. This month were going to start later on as I don't normally ovulated until cd 16 at earliest. So starting from around CD 12 instead to try and carry on. Bloody fertile week is when DH is on nights again though!! Wishing you lots of luck

Sshsecretenclosed Thu 04-Jan-18 12:53:04

Oh Mrs Jones it really is a marathon isn't it!! What have I let myself in for!! I normally ovulate between cds 14-16, so plan is cd8, 10, 12, 14 and then 15, 16, 17 and 19. This obviously will shift a little depending on what day the positive opk is. Oh my - is it too much planning!!

surreygirl1987 Thu 04-Jan-18 20:48:32

Okay definitely going to try this properly this month smile

Sshsecretenclosed Thu 04-Jan-18 23:22:42

Brilliant Surrey another one in my gang!!

Sshsecretenclosed Mon 08-Jan-18 20:35:01

How's everyone doing?

Owlpatrol Mon 08-Jan-18 22:37:49

I'm starting this month again cd8 here. Didn't end in bfp last month sadly but that may be because we missed one day at the end! Keep us posted! X

Sshsecretenclosed Tue 09-Jan-18 18:11:56

Well.... CD13 today, missed cd12 DTD because of an upset stomach!! Feel worried I've compromised all chances now!!

Katsanddogs Tue 09-Jan-18 19:10:48

I did smep this month, as close to it as possible. We were dtd naturally every other day and I wasn't expecting to ovulate (AF was late and I hadn't o'd that month). Dtd and next day noticed ewcm, got a pos opk so dtd again that day and the next (so did the 3 days in a row but started day before positive opk), missed a day then dtd again. Was knackered after that though! But the pic is what I got this morning!

Katsanddogs Tue 09-Jan-18 19:11:27

Oh, and good luck to you!

minime2017 Tue 09-Jan-18 19:41:14

Might give the SMEP a go this month as all else seems to be failing. Plus I feel we aren't dtd often enough. Anything's worth a try

DaisyMay25 Tue 09-Jan-18 19:47:55

@Katsanddogs congrats!! If no luck this month we'll be doing SMEP (DH seems excited by the amount of dtd it involves....)

NelleB Tue 09-Jan-18 19:53:37

@Katsanddogs I am so pleased for you. I am in my 2ww to find out if it has worked for us. We had the same issue as you, however I missed the last day of trying, due to being unwell. Really hoping it's not going to impact our chances.
Again congratulations. X

Gem173 Tue 09-Jan-18 20:06:43

I don’t think that missing one day either at the end or during the buildup to ovulation matters. I missed one day on the buildup and didn’t do the deed after the one day break, yet still conceived. As long as you get those 3 consecutive days in you still have a good chance! Goodluck ladies xx

Sshsecretenclosed Tue 09-Jan-18 20:24:11

Lovely to see these photos and tales of bfps!!

NelleB Tue 09-Jan-18 20:28:49

@Gem173 oh thank you for saying that. Trying to have this positive mental attitude regarding conception.

Katsanddogs Tue 09-Jan-18 22:49:34

Fx for you nelle. I don't think it will effect your chances, especially missing the last day. It only takes one determined sperm!

thecolonelbumminganugget Tue 09-Jan-18 23:47:38

We did it and conceived on cycle 2 (didn't do SMEP on cycle 1). It's a lot of sex to be having, get some preseed and don't bother trying to impress each other would be my advice wink

HanSpan1 Wed 10-Jan-18 07:43:08

Correct....doing SMEP was hard work, the romance went out the window and it was about getting the job done, but was well worth it in the end! I echo what others say.. use Pre-seed.. good luck all

Mizzworthy1 Wed 10-Jan-18 16:15:35

Hi OP! so sorry I only just saw your reply... Fingers crossed at least one of us on here gets a BFP hey. Cycle twins! grin

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 10-Jan-18 19:01:11

Just love this thread!! I DTD last night - CD13. So deviated a little bit but not got a positive opk yet. I usually ovulate CD16/17 x

Sshsecretenclosed Wed 10-Jan-18 19:01:33

Mizz have you managed to DTD much??

Mizzworthy1 Thu 11-Jan-18 23:00:01

Yes secret... Been sticking to the schedule. Willing to give anything a try! Trying not to read scary stats about being 38 and ttc... sad

Katievb Fri 12-Jan-18 14:53:26

Hi 👋🏼 on cycle 10 now sad, been watching this thread so decided to do the SMEP. Would you say this is a positive OPK? Just done it.. thanks and good luck to everyone xx

Mizzworthy1 Fri 12-Jan-18 15:04:27

I'd read that as a positive opk katievb... Good luck!

Celebelly Fri 12-Jan-18 15:08:36

Yes, def positive!

Sshsecretenclosed Fri 12-Jan-18 19:06:34

Great work Mizz! Yes that is a positive!

surreygirl1987 Fri 12-Jan-18 19:12:32

Congrats @kats!! Giving us all hope! smile got positive opk this morning so my 3 days in a row starts now... glad it's a weekene, that works out well! I don't seem to have ewcm yet so I hope that fertility gel from Boots works... going to give it a try! Fx SMEP does the job too! 😊

Owlpatrol Fri 12-Jan-18 20:48:24

@Sshsecretenclosed same here not got a proper positive opk yet cd12 fx for next couple of days only dtd yesterday so going to keep every other day. That said had some ewcm yesterday so not sure whether to dtd tonight or skip a night argh! @surreygirl1987 sorry to see you here again because I thought it was your month however nice to see a friendly face here. Starting not to recognise many names now as all getting bfps which is great but I was sad last week but feeling more positive now esp trying smep again!

Mizzworthy1 Fri 12-Jan-18 21:56:28

Problem with this method is that you're meant to do it the night before night of and night after ovulation... But if you're not entirely sure when that day will be it's difficult innit!

surreygirl1987 Fri 12-Jan-18 23:12:59

@Ownpatrol let's hang in there... it will be our turn soon... I'm feeling more positve this month now too... come on SMEP do your thing! smile

Sshsecretenclosed Sat 13-Jan-18 10:32:06

Right ladies, there's some great effort and enthusiasm on this thread!! Let's keep on. Positive thinking!! Two days of DTD, three days straight down here! Send lucozade haha

Mizzworthy1 Sat 13-Jan-18 10:37:26

Can I do a frustrated post? I don't want to bring everyone down... Post is so positive x

NelleB Sat 13-Jan-18 11:01:13

I am half way into my tww and it's killing me not to poas... lots of symptoms but super spotty and I never am. Could just be PMS but it's a week off! X

Sshsecretenclosed Sat 13-Jan-18 12:56:07

Mizz this post is real!! Feel free to!!!

surreygirl1987 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:27:10

Confused... got positive opk yesterday morning and dtd last night as firat day of 3 days in a row... but no appearance of ewcm at all AND my temp rose when I got up this morning! Have I already o'ed? Annoying if so!!

Sshsecretenclosed Sat 13-Jan-18 13:29:09

Our bodies really are mysterious things aren't they Surrey!

HellaBella0 Sat 13-Jan-18 15:50:25

Hi ladies mind if I join? Been lurking for a while as also doing SMEP. Had my first positive opk today, so commencing the 3 days straight tonight. I seem to be ovulating later than usual this month as currently on cd19 and have been DTD every other day since day 8!! My clear blue dual hormone has had flashing smileys for 9 days in a row and finally today got a static. Poor DH is already exhausted I think, hope he can manage the 3 days!

Pumpkin18 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:00:33

Hi when you say dtd 3 days once you get a positive opk do you mean when you get a flashing smiley on the opk monitor or when you get static ie ovulating the next day?

surreygirl1987 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:41:57

Hi @pumpkin I took it as the static smiley but now I'm wondering if that has been my downfall this month!

Sshsecretenclosed Sat 13-Jan-18 17:58:55

Welcome Bella! I too have been using the cb dual hormone. I am 2/3 of the way through DTD following a static smiley.

HellaBella0 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:25:24

@Pumpkin18 I’m taking it from the static. I also use the cheapy sticks and today was also the first day I got a positive on that. I might not bother with the cb dual hormone next month as doesn’t really help me as the cheapies seem to be just as reliable

Pumpkin18 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:35:44

@Hellabella0 I got positive on cheaper and cb today too! Happy baby making! star

Cupcakesandlove Sat 13-Jan-18 18:48:57

HI all,
Ttc 2 for a year now. Both 27 with a 2 year old. Have tried on many occasions to do smep but sleep deprivation wins mostly.
I usually get positive opk on day 14, of a 25 day cycle. Currently cd 10 and I have watery cm...
we dtd last night plan on again today and so on I’m very optimistic and a little deflated.
We’re both on pre natal vits I’m a little over weight so I am trying to loose a bit as well so we have embarked on healthy eating. I have a feeling it’s karma for falling so quickly with my first!

Cupcakesandlove Sat 13-Jan-18 18:49:49

I know dtd every night isn’t what is suggested but I’m willing to do anything

Brownbear84 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:58:08

Worked for us!! First month too xx

Mizzworthy1 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:18:51

Panicking. It's day 17 and still no ovulation. I'm 38 and having a panic I'm not going to be able to conceive again. Talk me down...

NelleB Sat 13-Jan-18 19:19:13

@Brownbear84 congratulations 💗💙👶🏻

NelleB Sat 13-Jan-18 19:20:12

@Mizzworthy1 I don't ovulate until day 20/21, how long is your cycle? Mine is 35 days x

Owlpatrol Sat 13-Jan-18 19:23:10

@surreygirl1987 same here had sort of ewcm cd9 but still not had positive opk and only managed to dtd once

Mizzworthy1 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:23:59

nelleb usually about 28 days... But I usually ovulate on day 17...

Sshsecretenclosed Sat 13-Jan-18 20:08:46

Congratulations Brownbear! Mizz we are here with you. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I hope it's a positive opk. All is not lost

Cupcakesandlove Sat 13-Jan-18 21:25:58

Try later this evening. Are the lines getting progressively darker?

HellaBella0 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:03:12

@Mizzworthy1 I’ve been panicking all week as I hadn’t ovulated. I just got first positive opk today on cd19 so guessing I’ll ovulate on cd20/21. My cycles can be a little off and once it was cd28.

Congrats @Brownbear84, great to hear more SMEP success stories!

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 08:20:24

This SMEP can send you a bit wild and focusing solely on ttc-ing, I'm finding. We have DTD on cds, 8, 10, 13, 15, 16 and then last night we DTD but DH was so tired from working shifts and getting up for a night shift, that he ermmm couldn't quite finish his erm performance. I feel like such a bitch because I wasn't particularly happy about that. Now feel like we've ruined all the other good work because DTD three days in a row is so important. Goodness me. Sorry for a moan,

Owlpatrol Sun 14-Jan-18 08:41:01

@Sshsecretenclosed darling I know exactly what you mean.... we've managed cd11 and that's all now currently cd14 not had a positive opk either. I really feel for you it's such hard work! I think I'm out already or not ovulating this month

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 08:54:12

Thanks Owl. Feel disheartened and like I've screwed up all the good work today. Don't even know whether to DTD today or just wave it. Finding it really hard emotionally to just DTD to a schedule. Feels like it's a chore. I hate it today.

Mrsjones17 Sun 14-Jan-18 09:47:35

@sshsecretenclosed this is exactly what happened to us last month! It's absolutely knackering and then outs unnecessary pressure on you both and then if you are like us we had a little bit of a tiff because we felt like we have 'let ourselves down!'. I feel for you and can really empathise. Have you had your positive OPK yet? Remember that most woman don't ovulate until 12/36 hours AFTER positive OPK so you could maybe afford to miss a day to give you both some headspace and time to recover!

Filzma Sun 14-Jan-18 09:50:09

Sshsecretencloded don't worry. Do you temp? Also when did you get a pos opk? Don't forget that sperm could survive for about 5 days. Technically there could have been sperm ready to meet and fertilise the egg. Also the 'fresher' batch of swimmers need to capacitate before fertilising the egg. My point is, the egg usually is alive about 12-24hrs or less post o and if any fertilisation is to take place, it's most likely from pre o bd either from the day before or even from 4 days before! So don't worry, you really have tried your best. Try get in an attempt tonight but no pressure.😉😊 Keep toying with DH (might stimulate quick sperm dvpt), hopefully by tonight it'll pay off.😝☺️

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 10:09:48

Bless you. Thank you. I don't temp no. I had positive opk on cd15. So DTD on 15 and 16. Hoping for DTD today for sure! He's just so tired because of shift pattern - real life gets in the way!!

Owlpatrol Sun 14-Jan-18 10:14:39

Totally know what you mean. You try not to put pressure on to dtd but it happens. Then if your sore it doesn't help either! Last month when af came i felt like I dissapointmed myself and let myself dowm. It's so stupid when you look back but when you're in the moment it's so hard x

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 10:26:58

Yep and you're tired and generally feel like it's lost all spontaneity and love. Odd this ttc business!!

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 10:27:35

And can I just say that if I didn't have this as an outlet on here, I don't know what I'd do with myself xx

Katievb Sun 14-Jan-18 10:38:16

I’m in the same position with my OH.. we have been dtd every other day from when af finished then got a positive OPK on Friday so dtd then, but he couldn’t do it last night. Had abit of a tiff now I feel awful sad So nice to know I’m not the only one feeling deflated! Today we are meeting friends who have just had a baby... I’m sure they are going to tell the story again of how they wasn’t trying and it was such a shock blah blah blah angry xxx

Brownbear84 Sun 14-Jan-18 10:49:16

Luckily was over xmas when I ovulated and we was both of work and was dtd all the time so wasn't a chore probably why we got caught so quick xx

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 14:39:10

I'm just hoping all our efforts aren't in vain. Just been out for coffee and of course a very small baby was at the next table. My ovaries!!

Mizzworthy1 Sun 14-Jan-18 16:55:34

Still no ovulation. I'm now convincing myself ill never have another child. Bad day today.

NelleB Sun 14-Jan-18 17:18:31

I'm having right side pelvic pain, I've cried over pancakes (what an idiot), I've had another nap and my cervix (too much information ) is hard, high and closed. AF not due until next weekend. I don't think I can do another 6-7 days of waiting 😖

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 17:27:17

Oh my. Ladies I feel you both. Here's me weeping over not DTD on cd17!

NelleB Sun 14-Jan-18 17:29:05

@Sshsecretenclosed we missed the last one down to pure exhaustion. It can't be helped. Lots of luck for you. I hope it's all our months!

PickettBowtruckles Sun 14-Jan-18 17:40:30

My cycles are a bit all over the place since coming off contraception but agreed with DH we're going to give this a try cycle (waiting for AF to show currently but not pregnant!). Seems like there is lots of positive stories about it smile

surreygirl1987 Sun 14-Jan-18 18:23:38

Ha guys I can totally sympathise... told my oh earlier we're going to bd later and I've never seen him look more miserable at the prospect!! Ha the madness of ttc...

Filzma Sun 14-Jan-18 19:05:12

Lol Surreygirl, sometime back when I was a prude... I remember a lady claimed to 'empty her OH's testicles' before he travels for work by bding 3-4 days in a row. That's the only way she was sure he'd be repulsed by the thought of anything sex related. I was like whaaaaa 😱😱😱
I see what she meant. 😂

Sshsecretenclosed Sun 14-Jan-18 19:17:14

Love it filma haha. Oh my. DH is really tired tonight again because of work and another early shift starting at -2am. Got a feeling tonight ain't gonna be productive either confused

moobeana Sun 14-Jan-18 19:48:59

We did what my gyn joking referred to as ‘SMEP plus’!

Sex every other day that I didn’t have a period (long periods) and the. Everyday when I thought I was ovulating/ due to ovulate.
I temped, used preseed lubricant and we did this for 4 months!

I spoke to him after 2 and expressed issues with fatigue and performing so often.

He gave us some syringes (kinda the same as preseed ones’ and told us to do ‘at home turkey basting’ on the days we were tired. It is not romantic, but it does take the pressure off! And it works. Our dd is definitely a turkey child, I had a hideous cold the month we conceived and barely had sex!

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »