Talk

Advanced search

WWYD - drinking over Christmas period

(15 Posts)
PinkDucks Sat 16-Dec-17 11:45:37

So me and DH had agreed to start trying for a baby around Feb/March time next year. I’ve started taking prenatal vitamins etc but only for around 3 weeks.

Last weekend we’d had a few drinks at a Christmas party and well blush got a bit carried away.

This would have been cycle day 8 for me of a fairly regular 27-29day cycle.

Now I know the chances of me falling pregnant are very slim but I can’t get it out of my head that it could have happened.

My dilemma is that I have lots of stuff planned in the lead up to Christmas which involves alcohol. We like a drink and our families do too and we always have lots of family get togethers around Christmas. Tonight we’re meant to be going out with our friends for our usual pre Christmas get together which will involve drinking.

If I don’t drink I know I will be asked if I’m pregnant and people will be suspicious when the likelihood is that I’m not. Part of me also (selfishly) doesn’t want to not celebrate like normal because I know the chances of me being pregnant are slim and this could be our last Christmas without our focus being on children.

On the other hand if it does turn out in pregnant I don’t think I could cope with the anxiety that I’ve potentially caused some harm. I’m very aware of the impact of alcohol in pregnancy (I once did some research in this area as part of my studies which is probably why I am extra anxious about this) and I think I would be forever worried that I’ve done some harm.

I know a lot of pregnancies aren’t planned and many women don’t know they are pregnant for a number of weeks but the fact I know I could potentiallly be pregnant (albeit 1 week) is playing on my mind and I don’t know what to do sad

Bubblegum89 Sat 16-Dec-17 11:52:29

Drink til it’s pink, my friend! Ttc can be bloody miserable, you need to drink to get through it. It wouldn’t harm a pregnancy in such early stages. If you get a positive pregnancy test then stop, obviously but until then, there’s no need. Binge drinking isn’t the best for you health but it’s not going to make any difference to you conceiving or in the first few weeks of a pregnancy. For what it’s worth, I was on my freshers week at uni and drinking horrendous amounts of alcohol every single night not realising I was actually a few weeks pregnant (unplanned lol) and my daughter is 9 now. Enjoy your Christmas smile

PinkDucks Sat 16-Dec-17 11:59:28

Drink til it’s pink - I like it grin

I had already thought if I did have a drink to maybe just go steady and not drink as much as I would normally do. So rather than drinking a bottle of wine just having a glass or two. I know binge drinking is bad and generally we don’t make a habit of it the rest of the year. Just bloody typical that Christmas does usually involve a lot of binge drinking winefblush

Poptart4 Sat 16-Dec-17 12:25:40

The placenta doesn't form until your about 6 weeks pregnant so even if you do conceive this month it won't affect the baby at all.

I would second drink until it's pink

PotteringAlong Sat 16-Dec-17 12:30:40

Just drink woman! grinwine

PinkDucks Sat 16-Dec-17 13:07:06

Thanks wine I think I know logically that any harm is usually caused by prolonged excessive drinking after the placenta is formed but there’s just that niggle in my mind that I can’t shake off. But I do feel more reassured now and plan to enjoy myself today and over Christmas as planned and if it does turn out I’m pregnant then hopefully the worse is that they will just have a taste for prosecco fgrin

Bubblebubblepop Sat 16-Dec-17 13:09:52

Drink, as above placenta isn't formed so no harm. Good luck for a 2018 pregnancy!

Bluntness100 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:10:53

I also agree, you’re worrying unnecessarily. Just relax and enjoy yourself, you won’t do any harm and you’re getting hung up too early. Ttc can for many be a very long road.

Howsthings1234 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:13:58

Definitely drink! Until you know you are pregnant then I think you should carry on as normal. Honestly the last thing you want is people speculating if you are preggers as it just puts so much pressure on - especially if it ends up taking some time.

PinkDucks Sat 16-Dec-17 13:25:13

Thanks, I know deep down I agree with you all. And I know my DH keeps pointing out the fact that it may take months or years as it has for many people we know. And it would be great if we didn’t struggle and it really did happen that easily during one little accident but I know in my mind it’s unlikely, especially given how early into my cycle I was. But I guess stranger things have happened!

DailyMaileatmyshit Sat 16-Dec-17 14:04:15

Just drink.

Merrz Sun 17-Dec-17 09:18:25

This makes me feel anxious too, I've definitley cut back since we started ttc and have hardly drank at all in 2ww but now onto cycle 6 realising you really can't put everything else in life on hold until you get your bfp or you would just make yourself miserable!
When is your period due OP? If 'the accident' lol happened last weekend you could probably test the end of next week before Xmas so you would know?

PinkDucks Sun 17-Dec-17 10:27:30

Due around 28th/29th dec. To be honest most of the things we have planned are in the lead up to Christmas next week and next weekend. If I could know by Friday that would help I suppose but I suspect it’s probably still a little early to test as I’ll be about a week away from my period starting. And I went out yesterday and enjoyed a drink as planned blush but I do feel a little guilty today as we ended up staying longer and drinking a bit more than I intended. What’s done is done though now and next week I’ll just take it steadier until I know for sure.

HoneyCake86 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:24:56

I love bubblegums response here. Drink til its pink my friend 😂👌🏼👏🏻

In all honestly i got bladdered when i was 6 weeks pregnant a few days before i found out. Ds was born healthy and no pregnancy complications. Im sure you’ll be fine. Enjoy christmas xx

happymummy12345 Sun 17-Dec-17 13:31:34

I was drinking while we were ttc. I also drank throughout my pregnancy (nowhere near as much as usual). My baby was fine.
My mum also drank during all 3 of her pregnancies and we were all fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now