Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Coming off the pill

(8 Posts)
Love2cook Thu 07-Dec-17 10:28:15

Hi,

New to all this but just wondered if anyone could help as I’m a bit confused! So we’ve decided to start trying for a baby and I’ve just come off the pill at the end of the packet in advance of this. I had my normal bleed 3 days later and then didn’t take the next pill as I usually would. Having read the NHS website it says I’ll get a withdrawal bleed followed my a ‘real period’ next time round. So what I wanted to know is, was the period I had my withdrawal bleed or will I get that soon? And then my next one will be my real period? I want to start tracking ovulation as we will begin TTC in Feb but there’s obviously no point until I’m actually having real periods. TIA x fsmile

Bubblegum89 Thu 07-Dec-17 10:32:06

Your first bleed is your withdrawal bleed. When you’re on birth control, you don’t get a “true” period. So even though you bled at the time you expected, it’s still not classed as an actual period so wait until your next bleed and count that as your first proper period and start from there. Good luck!

Love2cook Thu 07-Dec-17 10:43:28

Thanks Bubblegum, first time in my life I’m actually looking forward to getting my period!

CRZ1988 Thu 07-Dec-17 12:04:41

@love2cook were you on a mini-pill or a normal pill? Mini-pills (like noriday or cerelle/cerazette) you dont actually get a withdrawal bleed and will get your period any time from when you stopped your pill to 28+ days later. Normal pills (Mycrogynon, rigevidon (?)) you do get a withdrawal bleed and then the next bleed will be your actual period.

Good luck! x

Love2cook Thu 07-Dec-17 12:42:23

CRZ, I was onYasmin a normal pill, so by the sounds of things I’ve had my withdrawal bleed and now await my first proper period. Just crossing my fingers it comes regularly, can’t help but feel nervous after reading some people’s take quite a while to come back! Thank you x

CRZ1988 Thu 07-Dec-17 13:42:31

@love2cook how long were you taking it for? Obviously everybody is different and some will have their periods earlier and some later (not teaching you to suck eggs!) I've been on BC for 13 years and tried pretty much every pill going and luckily the mini-pill was the one that worked for me/didn't turn me into a hormone monstress!!

Personally I wouldnt trust the NHS website as it's giving guidelines based on how the pill should work rather than giving objective advise based on different peoples experiences.

I did a lot of googling and a lot of reading through the threads on here and found some patterns. MN is a fab source of information with true accounts of what have actually happened to people rather than what the NHS says should happen! I hope this makes sense! x

Love2cook Thu 07-Dec-17 16:17:38

CRZ, about 10 years. The website just said I’d have a withdrawal bleed and the next would be a proper period, which was correct. It’s good to learn what’s happened to others but I guess I’ll just have to wait and see as everyones body is different! X

Newbie9 Wed 13-Dec-17 20:27:09

Have you thought about tracking your temp for when you are TTC? It’ll help you track ovulation 😊
I came off the mini pill early November, had a withdrawal bleed immediately and have been tracking my temp since, can see a rise where I think ovulation might have occurred but cycle is very long - currently 35 days and no sign of a bleed yet! Which I guess might be the first proper one?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: