Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Trying to conceive 2nd child

(7 Posts)
Kazzy73 Wed 06-Dec-17 00:58:12

I am 44 years old. It took me 5 years to conceive my 1st child. We had a failed infertility round. We had given up and then this miracle pregnancy happened to us naturally. Ive been reading up about secondary infertility. As my age is now against me, we basically started trying straight away for a 2nd child. We have been trying now for around 19 months now. I have regular period between 28-34 days. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or has been in this same situation? Is it worth buying ovulation kits? Dont know much about them? If you have period every month does that mean you have ovulated? Thanks in advance for any responses ☺x

Lollipop30 Wed 06-Dec-17 01:09:04

You can have a period without ovulating. I think first thing to do would be to track it. Most people it’s day14 but everyone’s different so may be worth doing every day if you don’t pick it up. That’s what I had to do mine was day26!

There are lots of supplements that can help with conception. Extra vitD, CoQ10, Colostrum, Pregnacare.

Try acupuncture? Go straight to private infertility help if you can afford to?

QueenAmongstMen Wed 06-Dec-17 12:42:27

Are you still breast feeding your first?

Whilst TTC my second I was still breast feeding my first and despite having cycles that were clockwork I just wasn't conceiving.

It was recommended to me that I stop BF'ing as that can affect fertility so I did and after 10 failed cycles I then got pregnant straight away.

Just a thought....

Anyway, good luck on your journey flowers

MynameisJune Wed 06-Dec-17 14:15:50

We’ve been trying over a year now really, but only actively doing opk’s etc since April. DD (1st) took 6 years but I’m 33 so we do have time slightly more on our side although I really don’t know if I can stand much longer TTC.

We’ve had initial investigations into fertility and all tests came back normal. In your case after 19months I would speak to the GP about testing.

We have an ongoing thread on here for TTC#2, it’s currently the December thread but there are a few of us that have been on the threads since May and some of us that are long term TTC. It’s great for support.

Syppox2000 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:17:50

Google sperm meets the egg plan . Worked for us and a friend who had fetiliy problems used it for both hers

Bubblegum89 Wed 06-Dec-17 15:17:19

Not read the replies so may or may not have been covered already but I’m ttc number 2 also. I would advise using opks. Start using them from around cd8-9 twice a day (afternoon and evening if possible) until you get a positive, as in the test line is as dark or darker than the control line. You tend to ovulate around 36 hours after your first positive test. But just to warn you, getting a positive opk doesn’t mean you’re definitely ovulating, it just means you’re having a surge of LH. You can chart your temperature with a bass body thermometer but you have to be very strict with when you use it. It has to be the same time every day when you wake up and haven’t moved out of bed. Good if you don’t wake up or get up to go to the loo in the night, not so good if you do! Tracking your temperature can tell you if you’re ovulating though. And no, having a period doesn’t mean you’re ovulating unfortunately. The best way to check your hormones are okay and that you are definitely ovulating is by having blood tests on day 21 of your cycle (or whatever cycle day is a week after you think you’ve ovulated) lots of luck to you!

Bubblegum89 Wed 06-Dec-17 15:17:49

Basal body thermometer* stupid autocorrect

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: