Talk

Advanced search

Why you should do early pregnancy test - my experience

(5 Posts)
user1470147116 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:19:16

Early miscarriages (5 weeks) are very common and most women will never even realise they had one!

A chemical miscarriage is when you do the test a week early (using sensitive test like First Response) and then a week later you get your period.

If I didn't test early every month I may never have know that I got pregnant.

A very common cause of early miscarriages is APS:
www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/pregnancy-complications/antiphospholipid-syndrome-aps

Its the cause of 25% (?) of miscarriages and most women will never know they have it unless you ask GP to test for it (like I did).

If you have APS you simply take low dose aspirin/heparin to stay pregnant.

On Mumsnet everyone says not to test early but if I followed that advice I would not be sitting here in my 2nd trimester!

HoneyCake86 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:48:14

A point very well made! My sister has sticky blood and will need blood thinning injections as soon as she falls which means that testing early would be very necessary for her. She’s miscarried so much before this was found mostly in the first 6 weeks but lost one at 14 weeks too.

Fair play to you flowers

emelsie Tue 05-Dec-17 16:54:13

Thanks for this info, very helpful. when in your experience do you is best to starting testing from? x

surreygirl1987 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:34:34

Very good point - thank you!

tappitytaptap Tue 05-Dec-17 21:56:56

This is really interesting, thanks. I had IUGR during my last pregnancy (undiagnosed during the actual pregnancy and only afterwards when he jumped from the bottom to top of charts) and the consultant has advised aspirin from point of positive test.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now