Talk

Advanced search

Booked a doctors appointment, what can I expect?

(13 Posts)
Mamabooksbabynumber2 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:07:15

Hi everyone,

Me and dp are now on our 11th cycle and so I have jist booked a gp appointment. May fun and say 12 cycles so they don't refuse to run some tests.

What is the appointment likely to be like and what are they able to do to help us?

Thank you x

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:08:16

*fib

Bubblegum89 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:14:37

First of all, I had 21 day progesterone tests done to check my thyroid, see if I was actually ovulating etc. Then when I’d had my results, my partner had to give in a sperm sample. He got the results about a week later and because both our tests were fine, my GP referred us to a fertility clinic where she said they will do a HSG to check my tubes and then go from there. Good luck, it’s scary but also a weight off your shoulders knowing you’re on your way to getting some answers (hopefully!)

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:42:59

Thank you bubblegum that a really helpful. It will be nice to feel we have some support as at the moment it feels like it will never happen.

Bubblegum89 Tue 05-Dec-17 16:47:35

I know, it sucks. Everyone says “it can take up to 12 months to get pregnant even if there’s nothing wrong” but then you start approaching 12 months and you start losing hope. Lots of luck for your appointment, hope it goes well and you can start getting all your tests done asap smile

Pizzanewyorkcatcher Tue 05-Dec-17 16:55:57

We went on our 10th cycle and the gp was more than happy to get the ball rolling (although I know this is v clinic specific).
We had 21 day bloods and semen analysis within two weeks of our first appointment.

I definitely think that going when you feel ready is not a bad thing and that just getting to talk to someone is a massive weight off your mind! Even if they tell you to wait a little longer, my thoughts were that we were "in the system"

Best of luck to you!!flowers

physicskate Tue 05-Dec-17 18:44:32

Just remember, having tests can't get you pregnant. It's still pot luck... the best treatments are no guarantee. Don't have high hope that the gp will help (mine wouldn't) or that they CAN.

Low expectations will help avoid disappointments...

Even with ivf, harvesting 11 eggs (you've ovulated 11 times) doesn't mean pregnancy per day...

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:30:02

Thank you bubblegum that a really helpful. It will be nice to feel we have some support as at the moment it feels like it will never happen.

Mrsjones17 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:37:17

Hello again @mamasbooksbabynumber2! Cycle 13 for me and still no bfp! Sorry to see you're not having much luck either!

I had day 21 bloods done first. Just trying to convince DH to see his doctor for a SA! He's burying his head in the sand a bit! Agh!

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:45:29

Thank you everyone for your input. mrsjones I've got my dp coming with me and has been fine with the idea of doing a sperm sample so maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. What has your partner said to testing?

I'm pleased I didn't bother wasting any money this month on pregnancy tests.

My dp has never biologically 'made a child so to speak. I have 1dc from previous relationship so there is the possibility it is my partner.

My cycle day 21 will be Xmas day so may need to be the day before!!

Magpie24 Sat 09-Dec-17 16:00:54

Does anyone know whether it's 12 cycles or a year that you need to be trying for? I'm on cycle 9 but I've only been trying since May. I have short cycles of 25 days or so. Should I visit the GP earlier than April 2018?

physicskate Sat 09-Dec-17 16:18:56

Magpie. It's a year if under 35. I only have about 10 cycles a year. Super jeals!! Fewer chances!

There is absolutely no reason for you to be thinking you should see a doc after 6ish months of ttc unless you're over the age of 35.

Magpie24 Sat 09-Dec-17 17:11:24

Thank you @physicskate. At least ten periods a year is less period pain but it must be frustrating waiting so long for your fertile window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now