Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Being overweight

(9 Posts)
SpongeCake23 Tue 05-Dec-17 09:21:42

I'm about 3 stone overweight according to my BMI, I don't feel it though. I suppose I could be fitter. I don't do much exercise and I like my food a bit too much.
I think I have PCOS but hasn't been confirmed yet.

I ovulate, as I've done opks and have EWCM around day 14/15. I have regular periods (every 27-30 days).

Can being overweight have such a big impact on conception if you're ovulating and having a regular cycle?

I'm coming into cycle number 6 now, been trying since July. I know it's not that long in perspective.

Foreverretro Tue 05-Dec-17 10:01:36

I’m in a very similar position (plus another stone...) and from what my friends at similar weights tell me you shouldn’t worry too much. I have had quite a few friends now at my weight and larger that have successfully conceived within a few months and had healthy babies.

All of the stuff I’ve read online advises trying to lose a little weight though, not just for conception but for the increased risks during pregnancy.

In my mind though, I’ve struggled with dieting and my weight all my life, and TTC can be quite stressful as it is, so I’m not going to worry too much about my weight for the time being. I think.

SpongeCake23 Tue 05-Dec-17 10:49:43

@foreverretro
How long have you been TTC?
Also will this be your first DC?

Isitwinteryet Tue 05-Dec-17 11:34:30

I was a few stone overweight. Also think I may have pcos but not confirmed. My periods were very irregular. Could go 3 month's without. It took me 5 months to conceive child number 1.

RosesInTheHospital Tue 05-Dec-17 11:36:54

I have PCOS, diagnosed when I was about 17/18.
I was TTC for a year with no luck, bloods showed no ovulation.
Stopped trying, lost four stone, started trying again and got pregnant within two months.
I know it’s only anecdata, but it’s what happened with me.

TheMrs04 Tue 05-Dec-17 11:53:42

I was diagnosed with pcos 7 years ago. I lost 4 stone over a year and began trying for baby #1 still took us 5 years to conceive. He is now currently a crazy 19 month old and I'm 25 weeks pregnant with DS #2 which took us 3 months to conceive! Baring in mind I ended up putting most of the weight back on!

Don't let it get you down if it takes a while! Everybody is different!

Merrz Tue 05-Dec-17 11:57:06

I am about a stone overweight, to get to the top end of normal BMI. I don't think i'm overweight enough for it to be effecting my fertility (I hope) but if we don't conceive this month i'm definitely on a mission in the new year to get that stone off and start exercising more.
I have heard quite a few stories of people losing weight then conceiving but i half wonder if it's more to do with the improved lifestyle, diet, exercising etc than the actual weight loss.

SpongeCake23 Tue 05-Dec-17 12:44:59

Thanks for all your helpful responses.
I think I am ovulating though, that's the confusing thing!

Positive opks around middle of month, pains alternating sides each month and EWCM. I haven't tracked my temp yet or had bloods to confirm ov, but I'm pretty sure that I am.

I'm going to try and start slimming world (maybe not this side of Christmas! wink) it'll be my New Years resolution for a 2018 bump. And join the gym - shock

Foreverretro Tue 05-Dec-17 15:29:46

@SpongeCake23 this is my third cycle and yes it is my first DC, so I have no idea how it’s going to affect me yet. Last cycle I didn’t ovulate but I’m putting any issues I face atm down to having not long had the coil out rather than to my weight. I have had a positive OPK this month so fingers crossed I will be ovulating like... right now 😂

I think the general consensus is that it can’t hurt to lose a bit but I have been told by friends and family that it’s not worth beating myself up about... if you are ovulating and everything else seems ok then hopefully it will happen for you soon!

Remember that for some people it takes ages even when they’re a healthy weight, so it’s just one of the many many factors really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: