Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

"Gravity" & TTC

(8 Posts)
SPARKS17 Sun 03-Dec-17 15:33:14

I know this is the stupidest of questions but here goes....

TTC, I like to do it in the morning, but then I am lying there desperate to get on with the day but as soon as I get up and go to the bathroom gravity takes it course and everything slips out so to speak.

Should I be lying there for a certain period of time, do it at night or will doing it and getting on with my day be fine?? I want to give the swimmers the best chance but worried i'm spending too much/not enough time horizontally!

PS. I'm 34 and therefore probably need all the help I can get to get pregnant

CrmbleBee Sun 03-Dec-17 15:36:01

I've heard you want at least ten minutes or so on your back to let the semen pool inside- some people even put their legs up against the wall behind the headboard!

sophherts Sun 03-Dec-17 15:39:22

I tend to lie there for 20 mins and then go to the loo. It worked first month TTC (although that ended in mc) so I'm sticking with it!

Just set your alarm 20 mins early!

user1499786242 Sun 03-Dec-17 15:40:59

With my first I used to lie with my legs in the air for 30 mins
Took two months to get pg

With second I didn't have time so had to get up straight away... pregnant first attempt

Won't hurt but not essential

Merida83 Sun 03-Dec-17 15:43:22

I Was advised 20 mins. If Lying flat pop a pillow under your bum to tilt pelvis, aids gravity.

SPARKS17 Sun 03-Dec-17 16:08:37

Thank you ladies! I thought 10 mins might have been enough but I will be making sure my kindle is well stocked so I can go for the full 20 minutes!

Bubblegum89 Sun 03-Dec-17 16:28:53

I was told by my doctor that it is absolutely not necessary to lie still/put your legs up after sex unless your partner has sperm motility issues. Ejaculation does what it says on the tin; it ejaculates sperm up to where they need to be within seconds, the stuff that “comes out” is semen. You should really be going to the bathroom right after sex to avoid the risk of UTI’s. So unless you have sperm issues, you don’t have to keep still after sex, all you’re losing is semen which isn’t what you need for conception. You can if you really want to but there’s no need, apparently it’s a very common myth that it aids conception (you’ll always hear someone say their auntie’s cousin’s best friend did it and got pregnant lol) but yeah, it can help bad swimmers but if the sperm is good, it’s right up in there before you even get a chance to stand up

SoozC Sun 03-Dec-17 16:49:44

The month I got my bfp I didn't put my legs up. I did plenty of legs up in the months prior to that and not a sniff of a bfp. So the sperm gets where it needs to be regardless of what position you put yourself in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: